Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I love my new Giulia and am not in the habit of complaining on forums. However, I do need some help in learning how to properly interpret the dashboard oil level readout. I parked my car on the level and idled 5 minutes, as directed. I then took the attached picture. What does the red section on the left side of the readout mean? Also, what does the red section on the right side of the readout mean? I can't be low on oil and overfilled at the same time can I? My dealer is unable to clarify, the local Alfa rep only could repeat what the owners manual say ( which is incomplete and confusing). What does anyone have to say on this question. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
It looks to me like the oil is full, with the white bar going right up to the full line. The red outlines indicate overfilled on the right and too low on the left.

My gauge on the other hand is indecipherable. Anyone care to guess what my oil level is? I'm guessing there has been an update in the infotainment system that my car has not received.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, how do you know how much oil you have? I can see why you call it "undecipherable" cause it is. Are you planning to give your dealer a shot at fixing it?

·
Registered
537 Posts
^As stated your level if full, the portion to the right is overfilled, the portion to the left is underfilled.

@90Below, your car likely needs the update if it hasn’t been done, if you go into your “system” and check the “current version” of the software it will likely read .020 at the end, iirc that is the original version and it should read .043

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks Alfa Tech... I have the same issue. Do you know if the 2017 infotainment can be updated for Appleplay?

·
Registered
189 Posts
It looks to me like the oil is full, with the white bar going right up to the full line. The red outlines indicate overfilled on the right and too low on the left.

My gauge on the other hand is indecipherable. Anyone care to guess what my oil level is? I'm guessing there has been an update in the infotainment system that my car has not received.
Mine also looks like this - i've been assuming than means full although it is very much a guess based on the shaded gray areas

·
Registered
120 Posts
The older software had the white and gray shaded gauge, which I agree is difficult, if not impossible, to read. After receiving the Infotainment software update last summer, the gauge changed to the red-outlined “too full” and “too low” gauge. You want the white line at the extreme right of the middle section, just before it crosses over into the red-outlined section on the right.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thanks Alfa Tech... I have the same issue. Do you know if the 2017 infotainment can be updated for Appleplay?
As far as I know, it cannot, but I will look at the bulletin and update this thread if it does allow appleplay.

·
Registered
204 Posts
@ALFATECH, any idea how accurate is the gauge? My gauge is the updated firmware version and it was on the full mark (not overfilled). At about 3000km, it dropped one notch. I was going to do a top up, but didn’t get around to it. I kept monitoring it for a week and half, and it was consistently a notch down. Suddenly it went back up to full again! And it’s been there ever since. Am worried if I did do a top up, it would be overfilled now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@ALFATECH, I checked and I am running the .020 software. What other improvements does the .043 bring with it? I did have the dealer about 3 months ago update the infotainment and engine software, along with the smell under the hood, glovebox and amp fixes. I have been very happy with the changes. I have a service appointment tomorrow so any tips you can offer are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would say the low level and high level are very accurate, but the safe range may not be quite as specific since it isn’t as crucial. The safe range usually indicates 1L from low to full.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would say the low level and high level are very accurate, but the safe range may not be quite as specific since it isn’t as crucial. The safe range usually indicates 1L from low to full.
Thanks! 1L was my guess, with each notch representing 250ml. I guess I’ll wait till it drops 2 notches and holds before I do any topping up at 250ml increments to be safe not to overfill. Cheers!

·
Registered
537 Posts
@ALFATECH, I checked and I am running the .020 software. What other improvements does the .043 bring with it? I did have the dealer about 3 months ago update the infotainment and engine software, along with the smell under the hood, glovebox and amp fixes. I have been very happy with the changes. I have a service appointment tomorrow so any tips you can offer are greatly appreciated!
If it has the .020 then I’m not sure what they did when they did the infotainment update, maybe they didn’t do it fully? It’s kinda hard to do, and takes a few hours minimum. The .043 update carries with it quite a few improvements, I don’t have the bulletin in front of me, ut it was a decent list, so ask them to do it, it was a tsb, 17-052 I think.

Edit: the info on it is here- http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/1.../12986-technical-service-bulletins-tsb-s.html

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
There are a number of threads on this, the answer is no. The 2017 Giulia Infotainment system isn’t NOT capable of AA/ACP function. The hardware was changed for 2018 to allow it.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
@ALFATECH,
What do you know about a threaded bolt that can be removed to check the engine oil level?
Also, way back, someone posted a tale of a service tool "dipstick" that was available for manually checking the oil level on the 2.0
Perhaps it is used in conjunction with the threaded bolt hole in the block-sump??

·
Registered
537 Posts
@ALFATECH,
What do you know about a threaded bolt that can be removed to check the engine oil level?
Also, way back, someone posted a tale of a service tool "dipstick" that was available for manually checking the oil level on the 2.0
Perhaps it is used in conjunction with the threaded bolt hole in the block-sump??
I’ve never heard of either of those, but I’ve also never had an engine apart, or done any service to them besides an oil change yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@ALFATECH So I asked for the update to .043. They didn't seem to want to...saying my car is running well. I told them I had a moment when I got the "infotainment not available" message. I actually took it in for emission inspection and for the second time, they said the "sensors won't set up" and cant seem to complete. They are reaching out to Alfa for help. Any thoughts? ..... On the flipside the Ghibli S loaner is very nice.

·
Registered
537 Posts
@ALFATECH So I asked for the update to .043. They didn't seem to want to...saying my car is running well. I told them I had a moment when I got the "infotainment not available" message. I actually took it in for emission inspection and for the second time, they said the "sensors won't set up" and cant seem to complete. They are reaching out to Alfa for help. Any thoughts? ..... On the flipside the Ghibli S loaner is very nice.
Infotainment update won’t effect how the car runs, it’s not even related to the ECM or any engine systems, so not sure why they would tell you that. Further, it’s a RRT (rapid response transmittal), meaning Alfa wants any car on the lot to have the software updated, to avoid problems, it’s not a matter of if the systems are working, the software was found to have issues, so it should be fixed.
If they contact Alfa they will tell them the same thing, not sure why this is a challenge for them, lol, it’s kinda basic knowledge.

Reactions: moonkei

·
Registered
47 Posts
@ALFATECH Thanks and here is my update. Took my car in 8 days ago for state inspection and emission inspection. They have tried multiple times to do the emission inspection and still say the "sensors wont set up" so they can't complete the inspection. They have driven it for many miles. They waited until there were two days above freezing. Still no luck..and no problems inspecting other Alfas. They have been great and communicative and apologetic. They have opened a case with Alfa Romeo and are awaiting a response on how to proceed. They have not seen this before. So, sadly my first issue in one year of ownership. Any one had this issue? So, I continue to drive a loaner Maserati Ghibli SQ4...so it could be worse. Nice car as well.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts