Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I've been getting a lot of questions on how to install the Q spoiler so I've put together a quick "how to"
Please keep in mind that this is simply my method and it may not be the best method so continue at your own discretion; I do not assume any liability for imperfect installs.

Things you will need:

-3M double sided tape. I used two rolls of 5feet 3M super strength molding tape. You can also use the "extremely strong mounting tape" by 3M
-3M adhesion promoter 06396. I used two packs
-heat gun (or blow drier if you don't have one)
-70% rubbing alcohol, any higher may damage things and I don't want to find out the hard way
-clean microfiber towel
-two large clamps with rubber teeth
-regular scotch tape. Not shown in the pic but you'll need it.
-a box cutter or sharp knife of some sort
-last but not least, a spoiler of some sort. I used the one from SD carbon fiber, listings can be found on eBay and alibaba
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322553091068

1. The first step is cleaning the surface.
Using the rubbing alcohol and clean towel, clean the bottom of the spoiler and the top of the trunk. I made sure there was absolutely no oil from my fingers before going to the next step.

2. Next, you will need to apply one of the packets of adhesion promoter to the spoiler and let it sit for a minute or two.

3. Once it's a bit tacky, get your heat gun and warm up the sticky side of the double sided tape and the bottom of the spoiler.

4. Apply the double sided tape making sure to stay 1/8" or 3mm away from the edge of the spoiler and going from one side to the other to avoid getting air pockets stuck under the tape. Have someone to continue to heat up the tape and spoiler while you press it down. Start the tape from outside the spoiler edge and when you get to the other edge, keep going and cut it off once you go past the spoiler's edge. You will be cutting it off next

5. After it's applied on both sides, get your box cutter or a knife of some sort and trim the edges of the tape (1/8" away again) so it's nice and clean it doesn't overlap at any point or run farther than the spoiler's edges

6. Don't put that blade away just yet! I found that the handle of it made for a great pressing tool; you will need to press down the tape from one side to the other, making sure to remove any air pockets. If there are air pockets under the tape that you can't press out, pop a hole into the tape and make sure the air escapes.

7. Position the spoiler so that the EDGES sit flush. The edges are the first point of failure on most spoiler applications so you want to give the most attention to fitment in this area. I positioned my spoiler as far back as possible because that's where the edges sat flush onto the body. This part is very important and may take 30 minutes or more to get it perfectly flush. You can then use a ruler to get measure the distances from the trunk to the spoiler and make sure it's perfect. (If your spoiler does not lay flush onto the body then you will need to heat up the spoiler in multiple points while bending the spoiler to get it to lay flush. Or get a spoiler that isn't so shitty :wink2: )

8. Once you have it laying down properly, apply some scotch tape to the spoiler and extend it out to the body. Notice how I am not using blue tape, this tape is much stronger and holds its shape better. Apply the tape as I've sworn in the pic and fold it back so we can prepare the surface and remove the tape cover

9. We're almost done. Fold the spoiler back making sure that the tape doesn't let go from the trunk. You will need to clean the surface of the trunk again with rubbing alcohol and prepare it with adhesion promoter like we did in step 1 and 2. Take off the double sided tape's red protective cover and use the heat gun to warm up both surfaces. Try not to touch the tape or the trunk at any point.

10. In this final step you may need someone to help you. I had one person on either side pick up the spoiler and allow the tape to do the re-positioning of the spoiler back onto the trunk in the right location. I stood in the middle and made sure it was 100% even on both sides as we lowered it. This part needs to be done relatively fast because the tape should ideally still be warm when applying pressure. After about a minute or so of firm pressure being applied, go ahead and lock in the clamps (these things can handle a bunch of pressure but don't clamp it at our maximum hand pressure. Once you feel resistance, stop, or you might get a crack in your spoiler)

Let the tape adhere to the trunk for 24-48 hours MINIMUM.
And you're done!
:smile2:

Let me know if there are any further questions, I can modify this if something was unclear.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Nice write-up.

As someone who's done similar jobs, professionally and unprofessionally, I'd like to add that you should do several dry runs first.

Make sure you know where the spoiler is going and how it lines up. Be sure to use plenty of masking tape, I like the blue painters tape, to protect any area that a tool might touch. I've marred paint thinking it will be OK.

You can use sandbags or beanbags to weight it down while the glue bonds as well. The tape is a must.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yes! Tape method was a great idea. Two people helps as well. My Miata spoiler ended up just a hair low on one side because as was caught up with the adhesion and pressing hard by myself and lost sight of the alignment. It's only off a bit but it came from the heavy, unbalanced pressure on one end. Good job. Post finished pics!

Reactions: Seropdiablo204

·
Registered
296 Posts
Without drilling?
Does this mean the factory installed spoiler is screwed on?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Suggestion: once you find right position and scotch tape it, you could use an auto body marker to trace the forward outline to mark the proposed final position to be more precise when you lay it down with the 3M.

Auto body markers wash right off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Without drilling?
Does this mean the factory installed spoiler is screwed on?
Yes the original spoiler has mounting holes and Is drilled into the trunk

Excellent! I like the method of using the masking tape
Thanks gio! :)

looks great
Thank you! :)

Nice write-up.

As someone who's done similar jobs, professionally and unprofessionally, I'd like to add that you should do several dry runs first.

Make sure you know where the spoiler is going and how it lines up. Be sure to use plenty of masking tape, I like the blue painters tape, to protect any area that a tool might touch. I've marred paint thinking it will be OK.

You can use sandbags or beanbags to weight it down while the glue bonds as well. The tape is a must.
Thanks Racer :) good idea about the beanbags, never thought of that

I normally tape up the corners/back/front of where the spoiler will be just as points of reference when installing also
It is a good idea to mark the points, my friend and I practiced many times with the red protective tape so that our fingers could get used to the position we wanted it in, once we choreographed the whole thing, we did it for a final time and got it absolutely perfect. Just like the original. I know because I spent about an hour at the dealer studying and taking pictures of the original :)

Yes! Tape method was a great idea. Two people helps as well. My Miata spoiler ended up just a hair low on one side because as was caught up with the adhesion and pressing hard by myself and lost sight of the alignment. It's only off a bit but it came from the heavy, unbalanced pressure on one end. Good job. Post finished pics!
I have great friends! Then again, I've installed spoilers and many more things on their cars and it was time they paid me back haha
The good thing about your Miata is that you can always try again if you don't like it!
I'll definitely post pics again soon!

Suggestion: once you find right position and scotch tape it, you could use an auto body marker to trace the forward outline to mark the proposed final position to be more precise when you lay it down with the 3M.

Auto body markers wash right off.
Auto body markers are a good idea, I don't advise others to not use tape or markers; it's a good idea if it's your first time. We practiced by making sure our fingers knew exactly where the edges were and how far they should be from them...in the end it turned out 100% perfect and just as I wanted, so no worries :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
This is fantastic. Thanks for taking the time!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not sure it will look as nice due to lack of contrast on a darker car.
You're right - the contrasted white looks awesome! Here's hoping though, I've got one on the way for my Vulcano Black...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks great on a white car! Not sure it will look as nice due to lack of contrast on a darker car.
Thanks man! I agree it looks great on the white or any other contrasting color but honestly I would still but it on the darker colors because it fits so well with the body lines

You're right - the contrasted white looks awesome! Here's hoping though, I've got one on the way for my Vulcano Black...
Congrats man! Post pics when you get it!

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Looks great on a white car! Not sure it will look as nice due to lack of contrast on a darker car.
It will still look very good. From far, it would look like the trunk and spoiler are one unit until you come close to it and notice the nice detail in the carbon fiber. On the Vulcano black Giulia, the spoiler will not call out the attention compared to a contrasting color but the onlooker will be rewarded with noticing the fine carbon fiber detail by coming closer. Nevertheless, I plan on getting a thin red pinstripe on the upper part of the spoiler to go with my red accents on my wheels and my red interior.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thank you for posting instructions! Pictures look great! I've got a white Giulia as well and am looking forward to mine coming in as well.

Any plans to reduce ride height? We have a Q4 and yesterday my son (who is only 9) says to me as we're walking back to the car after watching Spider-man "Dad, why does our car look kinda like an SUV?" I really need coilovers UGH!

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yes! Outstanding. And if you need to make corrections, use dental floss and goo gone to remove it. Lube the paint with soapy water. This is the method I am waiting on. Just not enough time and energy right now. Had to fix some of the carbon wrap over the winter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're welcome and it's my pleasure!
Thank you!
Not really, as ride comfort is much more important for me, also I feel that the 19" wheels give it the perfect stance without being too much. I wouldn't add spacers or lower it.

Thank you for posting instructions! Pictures look great! I've got a white Giulia as well and am looking forward to mine coming in as well.

Any plans to reduce ride height? We have a Q4 and yesterday my son (who is only 9) says to me as we're walking back to the car after watching Spider-man "Dad, why does our car look kinda like an SUV?" I really need coilovers UGH!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts