Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Photobucket removed all my pictures from my last thread and I couldn't edit it anymore, so here it is again with a new photo hosting software
------------------------------------------------------
Hello all
I've been getting a lot of questions on how to install the Q spoiler so I've put together a quick "how to"
Please keep in mind that this is simply my method and it may not be the best method so continue at your own discretion; I do not assume any liability for imperfect installs.

Things you will need:

-3M double sided tape. I used two rolls of 5feet 3M super strength molding tape. You can also use the "extremely strong mounting tape" by 3M
-3M adhesion promoter 06396. I used two packs
-heat gun (or blow drier if you don't have one)
-70% rubbing alcohol, any higher may damage things and I don't want to find out the hard way
-clean microfiber towel
-two large clamps with rubber teeth
-regular scotch tape. Not shown in the pic but you'll need it.
-a box cutter or sharp knife of some sort
-last but not least, a spoiler of some sort. I used the one from SD carbon fiber, listings can be found on eBay and alibaba
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322553091068

1. The first step is cleaning the surface.
Using the rubbing alcohol and clean towel, clean the bottom of the spoiler and the top of the trunk. I made sure there was absolutely no oil from my fingers before going to the next step.

2. Next, you will need to apply one of the packets of adhesion promoter to the spoiler and let it sit for a minute or two.

3. Once it's a bit tacky, get your heat gun and warm up the sticky side of the double sided tape and the bottom of the spoiler.

4. Apply the double sided tape making sure to stay 1/8" or 3mm away from the edge of the spoiler and going from one side to the other to avoid getting air pockets stuck under the tape. Have someone there to continue to heat up the tape and spoiler while you press it down. Start the tape from outside the spoiler edge and when you get to the other edge, keep going and cut it off once you go past the spoiler's edge. You will be cutting it off next

5. After it's applied on both sides, get your box cutter or a knife of some sort and trim the edges of the tape (1/8" away again) so it's nice and clean it doesn't overlap at any point or run farther than the spoiler's edges

6. Don't put that blade away just yet! I found that the handle of it made for a great pressing tool; you will need to press down the tape from one side to the other, making sure to remove any air pockets. If there are air pockets under the tape that you can't press out, pop a hole into the tape and make sure the air escapes.

7. Position the spoiler so that the EDGES sit flush. The edges are the first point of failure on most spoiler applications so you want to give the most attention to fitment in this area. I positioned my spoiler as far back as possible because that's where the edges sat flush onto the body. This part is very important and may take 30 minutes or more to get it perfectly flush. You can then use a ruler to get measure the distances from the trunk to the spoiler and make sure it's perfect. (If your spoiler does not lay flush onto the body then you will need to heat up the spoiler in multiple points while bending the spoiler to get it to lay flush. Or get a spoiler that isn't so shitty :wink2: )

8. Once you have it laying down properly, apply some scotch tape to the spoiler and extend it out to the body. Notice how I am not using blue tape, this tape is much stronger and holds its shape better. Apply the tape as I've sworn in the pic and fold it back so we can prepare the surface and remove the tape cover. You can also put tape on the car's body around the edges of the spoiler to further make sure the alignment is correct.

9. We're almost done. Fold the spoiler back making sure that the tape doesn't let go from the trunk. You will need to clean the surface of the trunk again with rubbing alcohol and prepare it with adhesion promoter like we did in step 1 and 2. Take off the double sided tape's red protective cover and use the heat gun to warm up both surfaces. Try not to touch the tape or the trunk at any point.

10. In this final step you may need someone to help you. I had one person on either side pick up the spoiler and allow the tape to do the re-positioning of the spoiler back onto the trunk in the right location. I stood in the middle and made sure it was 100% even on both sides as we lowered it. This part needs to be done relatively fast because the tape should ideally still be warm when applying pressure. After about a minute or so of firm pressure being applied, go ahead and lock in the clamps (these things can handle a bunch of pressure but don't clamp it at our maximum hand pressure. Once you feel resistance, stop, or you might get a crack in your spoiler)

Let the tape adhere to the trunk for 24-48 hours MINIMUM.
And you're done!

Let me know if there are any further questions, I can modify this if something was unclear.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
9. We're almost done. Fold the spoiler back making sure that the tape doesn't let go from the trunk. You will need to clean the surface of the trunk again with rubbing alcohol and prepare it with adhesion promoter like we did in step 1 and 2. Take off the double sided tape's red protective cover and use the heat gun to warm up both surfaces. Try not to touch the tape or the trunk at any point.

I like your steps. The only one that concerns me is using the heat gun to blow hot air to the adhesive tape. You will be blowing particulates onto the adhesive surface right before attaching it to the car.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I did mine on a sunny day and let the spoiler sit in the sun. After it was warm to the touch I installed it without the 06396 adhesion promoter. I bought some but the 3M site said do not use on painted car surfaces. The spoiler is going nowhere with that tape. Oh yeah, You should have about 3/4" on each side of the spoiler. Mark it with tape and use that as a guide. I did mine by myself without clamps and the heat gun. As I said it isn't going anywhere with that tape. I was very impressed.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Seropdiablo204, I followed your excellent directions to install the SDCarbon spoiler and the results were magnificent. What a wonderful upgrade and fun DIY. It completes the design flow of the Giulia.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like your steps. The only one that concerns me is using the heat gun to blow hot air to the adhesive tape. You will be blowing particulates onto the adhesive surface right before attaching it to the car.
You should've cleaned all surfaces so that there isnt any dust near the adhesive to "blow" anywhere.

I did mine on a sunny day and let the spoiler sit in the sun. After it was warm to the touch I installed it without the 06396 adhesion promoter. I bought some but the 3M site said do not use on painted car surfaces. The spoiler is going nowhere with that tape. Oh yeah, You should have about 3/4" on each side of the spoiler. Mark it with tape and use that as a guide. I did mine by myself without clamps and the heat gun. As I said it isn't going anywhere with that tape. I was very impressed.
Don't listen to the 3M site I've used it on a car I've had for 8 years and so have lots of friends and forum memebers for years and nothing has happened to their paint. Also, you don't have to use my tips and tricks, 3M tape will still be 3M tape because the spoiler is made well. You should see what happened to my friends challenger with an aftermarket shitty spoiler when he used just 3M tape.

Seropdiablo204, I followed your excellent directions to install the SDCarbon spoiler and the results were magnificent. What a wonderful upgrade and fun DIY. It completes the design flow of the Giulia.
Thank you! Glad you're happy with my guide! :) Currently writing a new one for brighter headlights!

·
Registered
111 Posts
You should've cleaned all surfaces so that there isnt any dust near the adhesive to "blow" anywhere.

Don't listen to the 3M site I've used it on a car I've had for 8 years and so have lots of friends and forum memebers for years and nothing has happened to their paint. Also, you don't have to use my tips and tricks, 3M tape will still be 3M tape because the spoiler is made well. You should see what happened to my friends challenger with an aftermarket shitty spoiler when he used just 3M tape.

Thank you! Glad you're happy with my guide! :) Currently writing a new one for brighter headlights!
Thanks for the guide. Was very helpful. Anyway, I installed the spoiler 2 days ago. Today went to check on it and noticed that some parts of the 3M tape on the back side of the spoiler really didn't make good contact with the trunk. If I try to wiggle the spoiler, it wiggles just a little bit. Maybe millimeter. Do you think the spoiler can hold? or should I reinstall? I don't know if yours can wiggle just a tiny bit. If water gets in under the spoiler, does that mean the 3M tape with dissolve or something? Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Having a clean surface and using Adhesive Promoter is the key in my opinion. Did mine in my garage when it was 20 degrees out and installed perfectly!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Mine's got on the tape on it already kind of dug into the spoiler to hide the tape as much as possible. I'll take a pic. One question I have @alfa55 as I don't have a heat gun and thinking of doing the same as you, did you use anything special to prep the surface? I have sealant on my trunk so do I need some rubbing alcohol on it? Would like to know what you did.

·
Registered
537 Posts
^You need to get the sealant off, yes, that’s crucial. You can use a hairdryer set to hot if you don’t have a heat gun, or just let the parts sit in the sun.
@Seropdiablo204 This is a great write up and I’m no expert in installing spoilers, however I do install blackout tapes, appliqués, and similar stuff at work with 3M tape. And not to step on any toes but I find best is to leave the red backing a bit long at the ends, but cut the tape where you want it, this way you can set the spoiler in place and simply pull the backing off slowly as you go. Once some of the tape is sticking the spoiler won’t move and you can be confident it will stay aligned. As stated I don’t install spoilers so I could be very wrong here, but this is what I do and I’ve done it many times without an issue. I will add to this that our body shop did a CF spoiler on a Giulia and a month late the edges were lifting, it hasn’t come off yet but I’m quite sure it’s an actual Quad part so it would be a very expensive part to replace.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
862 Posts
Just got mine on. Nice warm sunny day so just let it warm up and carefully installed it with help from one person. I bought new 3M tape as I didn't like the tape that came from China with my spoiler. I think it took around 30 mins and it looks great! Total cost $127 for the spoiler inc. shipping and around $8 for the new tape.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Alcohol wipes to clean the surface.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just got my spoiler!

Do I HAVE to get 3M branded adhesion promoter? My local stores don't seem to carry 3M, but the 2-sided tapes seem to be readily available.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just got my spoiler!

Do I HAVE to get 3M branded adhesion promoter? My local stores don't seem to carry 3M, but the 2-sided tapes seem to be readily available.
3M is just overinflated overadvertised and overrated product lol, any quality double sided tape will work..

·
Registered
862 Posts
I used 3M tape as Autozone has it and it’s not expensive. Holds the spoiler on very firmly.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Question: I’m thinking about putting one of these spoilers on a leased Giulia. My question is, how easy is it to remove these 3M red double-sided sticky taped spoilers after they have been on the car for 3 or more years without damaging the paint? Seems that tape would bake right into the paint and cause a lot of damage...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Question: I’m thinking about putting one of these spoilers on a leased Giulia. My question is, how easy is it to remove these 3M red double-sided sticky taped spoilers after they have been on the car for 3 or more years without damaging the paint? Seems that tape would bake right into the paint and cause a lot of damage...
Great question, also had this same question. Has anyone tried to remove these before and did it cause any damage to the paint?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I’ve used a lot of this double-sided high stick 3M tape over the years for a lot of projects around my house. It’s great stuff, and pretty permanent real tough to remove under low exposure conditions, and not exposed to elements such as high heat temperatures water and ice experienced and automobiles and outdoor conditions. I’m guessing it just might bond to the paint and turn to rock after a few years. No, on second thought I’m probably gonna pass on this cool look, unfortunately??considering the cost of labor, body work and paint these days. It’s also probably not the smartest thing to do om a leased car well. That is unless the dealer offers it in a catalog and its noted in the lease agreement, but I don’t think they’re offering QV styling options on Ti’s unless someone here knows something different?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts