Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

441 - 460 of 495 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
I still don't see the point of this mod... Destroying a bunch of usable everyday features for the rare event of roasting tires?
Interesting opinion :|

Can you tell us all what everyday features this destroys? Most people have zero issues with this mod. My paddles work. My DNA selctor works, although it does tinker with the engine map being used. But in the end, it helps defeat the nannies that slow you down on a track. Also, the N mode issue provides a very linear pedal that is better for on track; it's predictable.

Edit: I have never seen anyone roast the tires on a Q4. Best I have done is on a lake during a winter driving event, nannies would have sucked.

Reactions: RevToRed

·
Registered
603 Posts
It disables the pedal and ECU mapping of the dna button and also potentially adaptive dampers if you don't fix that.

I think I might have seen maybe 1 or 2 Ti track day threads on this forum in a couple years? Also if you are exceeding the threshold of the systems in D on a non competitive track day - IMO you should be evaluating some of the risk you are taking by your driving. In good hands, you can get a decent amount of slip/drift in D mode as is.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I still don't see the point of this mod... Destroying a bunch of usable everyday features for the rare event of roasting tires?
For me the only downside is having throttle sensitivity stuck in N mode. As long as the car is updated you shouldn't lose any features. It does not change active damper abilityvat all. Its just youd have to have the chassis control module reprogrammed if you want super stiff race mode damping but that's not even an option without race mode programmed so you dont lose anything. You can potentially gain another stiffer setting.

The upside is this is the only way to turn off esc. The esc on these cars (more noticeable on rwd) is very intrusive. It will slam the throttle plate shut and even brake. Its not progressive and seamless like porsches pasm. If you wanted to lap day or autocross you'd really need this mod imo. I actually have a bunch of country roads around and there's a few turns i do daily on drives where the throttle cuts due to esc. Actually i can get it to happen just accelerating out of a u-turn lane.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
It disables the pedal and ECU mapping of the dna button and also potentially adaptive dampers if you don't fix that.

I think I might have seen maybe 1 or 2 Ti track day threads on this forum in a couple years? Also if you are exceeding the threshold of the systems in D on a non competitive track day - IMO you should be evaluating some of the risk you are taking by your driving. In good hands, you can get a decent amount of slip/drift in D mode as is.
Yep, so don't do it with active dampers / lsd unless you're willing to update/replace that module.

Yep, there are only a few on the site that are posted about tracking, but that doesn't mean that more do not exist. Check FB, plenty of tracked Giulias there. If I exceed the threshold, at least I could have a chance at recovering smoothly. With the nannies that's not happening. Especially for Novice / Intermediate driver groups, a sudden cut in power could cause the driver following you to have to react. Not cool.

If you have something constructive and related, by all means share. Please have your own opinions about Race mode, I support this, just not in a thread dedicated to enabling Race mode though. #sheesh.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You can easily get 15-20 deg drifts with the tires spinning in D mode if you have the right technique. To each their own

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
You can easily get 15-20 deg drifts with the tires spinning in D mode if you have the right technique. To each their own
mmhmm

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You can get a bit but if you dont dramatically reduce throttle application on your own then esc will do it for you and when esc does it it makes the throttle dead for a good second. You can drive around the esc intervention, sure, but then its really not a fun experience imo. You really have to manage throttle input so much you lose speed and time.

Its no bueno.

With race mode you can continue on part throttle powering out with no danger of throttle plate clamping shut.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Update:
I went ahead and bought a used CDCM from a wrecked 2018 Stelvio QV (same part/revision number as my stock one) for $200.
Installation was a snap: disconnect battery, swap modules, proxy alignment with MES.
Without proxy alignment the odometer was flashing.
Also changed mode to type 2 instead of 3.

Initial observations:
-- Race mode (yellow) on display.
-- ESC is off.
-- Significantly stiffer suspension and a more planted steering feel in D/R.
-- R mode gives a choice of Stiff (default) or Mid damper settings.
-- D mode give an option of Soft damper settings.
-- D and R modes definitely have a more aggressive transmission behavior (like before - no change) compered to A/N.
-- Throttle behavior is like N in NDR modes.
-- Shift pedals work great in all modes.

Still need time to test high speed and at the limit behavior, can't wait for this Saturday's track day at PBIR.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You can get a bit but if you dont dramatically reduce throttle application on your own then esc will do it for you and when esc does it it makes the throttle dead for a good second. You can drive around the esc intervention, sure, but then its really not a fun experience imo. You really have to manage throttle input so much you lose speed and time.

Its no bueno.

With race mode you can continue on part throttle powering out with no danger of throttle plate clamping shut.

You need to be smooth with throttle and steering inputs and you can stay under esc thresholds. Smooth is fast. Fast is smooth.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Have you taken the car to the track? The stability controls kick in often. I actually like them going off at the start of the day since they let me know I’m making mistakes.. but by the end of the day I want them off.

For the fairly low price, it’s worth it. In the long run, learning how to use MES is prob the best reason for doing this. Doing my own maintenance is going to save more than the upfront cost.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The other thing is your brakes. Youre going to cook your brakes easier on lap days with esc enabled as it will apply them to individual wheels without your consent nir necessarily your knowledge

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good point. I hadn’t thought about that. I’m just now starting to notice break noise at 24k miles. Replacing them is yet another reason I wanted to learn MES.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If anyone is interested,

There is another QV CDCM for sale on ebay. It is an earlier revision part - should work fine on 2017-2018 cars.
This seller would probably accept an $220 offer.

For 2017 - 2019 cars there are 2 CDCM versions:
1. 50534054 BC.0141670.C (early cars had Rev. B - avoid)
2. 50555625 BC.0141670.D (probably late 2018 - 2019 models)
Check what you have before ordering.

Or you can get a reprogrammed CDCM from Alfissimo using yours as a core.

CDCM on Ebay

Reactions: NDion80

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #454
Good point. I hadn’t thought about that. I’m just now starting to notice break noise at 24k miles. Replacing them is yet another reason I wanted to learn MES.
Don't need MES for that.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The other thing is your brakes. Youre going to cook your brakes easier on lap days with esc enabled as it will apply them to individual wheels without your consent nir necessarily your knowledge
You should have an lsd then

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
I've got an LSD. My brakes wore out at 30k miles (all on road) and now (57k miles) my diff oil is black (not good). Curiously my new brakes (still OEM pads) appear to be wearing much more slowly.

I finally demonstrated to myself that in Race mode the lateral g meter will read > 1.0. A meager 1.01, but still that is greater than the D-mode 1.0 cap. No noticeable loss of traction with my Michelin PS A/S 3+ tires. Not even over the speed limit, although "just a bit" over the advisory speed. That was with my front suspension AFU (upper cross braces loose), I wonder if I will be able to get higher readings with things fixed. Maybe we should add a max lateral g reading thread for 2.0T? Is there some safe way to capture the reading?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Don't need MES for that.
I was looking for MES to open the brake reservoir when bleeding the brakes. My BMW has me using the INPA software whenever I need to do this. Another thread mentioned Witech does this for the Alfa. I was hoping MES would work as well. Perhaps I read into the EPB maintenance mode option when playing around. I'm not seeing the control functions the manual quotes now that I look at the software.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
I was looking for MES to open the brake reservoir when bleeding the brakes. My BMW has me using the INPA software whenever I need to do this. Another thread mentioned Witech does this for the Alfa. I was hoping MES would work as well. Perhaps I read into the EPB maintenance mode option when playing around. I'm not seeing the control functions the manual quotes now that I look at the software.
Still don't need it. In the Infotainment you enable Brake Service Mode, turn the car off, pull the battery. Do brake change / flush, pump brakes, connect battery, turn on car, follow on screen instructions. Done. Turn steering wheel lock to lock, turn car off, wait 30 seconds, turn on, lights should be gone. Just did it.

Reactions: 313speed

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks! I was seeing that in a few places but not entirely sure it worked. I swapped a big break kit on my E46 last year and skipped opening the valves when bleeding at first. That gave me a soft pedal (and more work to do after). That's obviously something to be avoided.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
Thanks! I was seeing that in a few places but not entirely sure it worked. I swapped a big break kit on my E46 last year and skipped opening the valves when bleeding at first. That gave me a soft pedal (and more work to do after). That's obviously something to be avoided.
I set and kept the power bleeder at 30PSI per the factory procedures. The bleed sequence is always inside then outside bleeder; start at front drivers side going clockwise around the car. (inner front drivers, outer front drivers, inner front passenger, outer front passenger, etc.)

Reactions: 313speed
441 - 460 of 495 Posts