Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the course of following the instructions for some recent mods, I've been instructed to disconnect the battery ground, accomplished by loosening the 10mm nut and lifting the entire terminal off the battery post.

Being aware of the quick release negative cable connection to the terminal, and of the specific instruction in the Owners' Manual not to remove the terminal except when changing out the battery, I'm wondering a couple of things:

1. is lifting off the negative cable via the quick release an acceptable alternative to unbolting the terminal from the battery post for the needs of those mods which call for disconnecting the battery (e.g. @MADNESS Autoworks MaxPower and PedalPro+ units)?

and

2. what does leaving the terminal in situ (with the quick release cable removed) accomplish? Does it reduce adaptation time or something? It seems that even disconnecting the whole negative terminal, the car retains most settings, like radio memory, seat memory, and probably other stuff; I didn't notice having to make any post-disconnect readjustments, anyway.

Any insight is appreciated!

Reactions: Ethan L

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
main reason for disconnecting a battery during work on the car is to make sure that in case you cause a short circuit you don't damage electronic components etc....
So pulling the cable should suffice?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
yes, objective is to make sure entire car is powerless , so negative terminal of battery completely disconnected......

note that as described in the manual, after reconnecting power, you may have to reinitialise power steering and/or window
steering: fully turn left and right (or vv)
windows,: press up button with windows in closed position for 10 seconds, same with down button and windows fully open

see also:
battery connect.pdf

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yes, objective is to make sure entire car is powerless , so negative of battery disconnected......
If that is objective, wouldn't that recommend pulling entire terminal? There are additional wires connected to terminal; I don't know where they go, but I'd presume they're flowing current, no?

EDIT: I see the document you posted seems to correspond to the OM procedure of just pulling the cable, and leaving IBS in place.

I guess that answers it well enough, thanks.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
If that is objective, wouldn't that recommend pulling entire terminal? There are additional wires connected to terminal; I don't know where they go, but I'd presume they're flowing current, no?
yes, sorry, negative terminal of battery should be completely disconnected

·
Registered
422 Posts
What everyone else said- yes. Safer since if you accidentally hit the terminal to metal with a wrench, nothing happens. If you pull positive first, and hit metal you could arc, badly.

rjp

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What everyone else said- yes. Safer since if you accidentally hit the terminal to metal with a wrench, nothing happens. If you pull positive first, and hit metal you could arc, badly.

rjp
Well, @jwq2 is saying No, pull the whole terminal.

It's confusing, because you have to wonder what the negative cable quick disconnect is for, right?

Maybe the IBS is only flowing super-low current, so there's no fear of shorting?

Why does the manual say not to remove IBS except for battery replacement?

Why does the manual indicate the procedure for disconnecting the battery is using the quick disconnect to pull the negative cable?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Isn't it a 10MM nut on the terminal to drop the neg? I could've swore there's no quick disconnect on the negative- I was just in there yesterday? The quick disconnect is on the positive only?

I would assume the reason is don't run the car with the IBS disconnected. Body Control Module will probably freak out and give you error lights.

rjp

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts