Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always has been a dream of mine to have some Carbon Ceramic Brakes how ever anyone has any information on the maintenance involved? How long they last, etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
TL/DR: I'm leaning toward no, but I may be going on outdated information to make my decision.

Not sure I'd want them on a primarily daily driver. While I have not driven a car with CC brakes, what I'm reading tells me that they're awesome on track, and somewhere between overkill and frustrating everywhere else (aside from the bling factor and long life). Until they're up to operating temperature, the pedal feel is - let's say opposite of confidence-inspiring. But the real deal-breaker is how much they cost. Here's pros/cons as I see it.

Pros:
- significantly less unsprung weight. Allows for better suspension tuning, steering feel, marginally better acceleration due to less rotating mass... fuel economy? doubt it will be noticeable - and they'll never "pay for themselves" in those terms
- not going to fade at the track
- they look sexy
- bragging rights
- long life
- superior corrosion resistance
- some sources cite less dust. Makes sense given the longer life that there would be less dust, as the pads/rotors aren't wearing as quickly

Cons:
- $$$
- poor pedal feel until you're pushing them
- noisy (but the same can be said for race compound pads on conventional steel rotors). I've seen this debated both ways as well (i.e. some sources say CCB are less noisy than conventional)

You'll note that I list several pros, and only a few cons. The cons, however, are big ones. I simply don't know if I'll get in enough track days to justify the expense and sub-par cold pedal feel for the majority of the time I'm driving the car.

Back in 2008, Car and Driver tested a few cars in several categories for brake fade under controlled conditions. Interestingly, they had a pair of 911s - one with PCCB (Porsche Carbon Ceramic Brakes) and one with conventional. Here's a quote:

"The 911 with the PCCB system performed about the same as the other 911 and the Vette. The average stopping distances of the two 911s were within a foot of each other (305 feet), not surprising since both cars were wearing the same tires. The Corvette averaged 326 feet. The conclusion: PCCB buyers enjoy a 37-pound weight savings but not necessarily more robust brakes."

Given all of the above, I'm still on the fence. I may be basing my judgement on old information. Due to economies of scale, the price of CCB options may be coming down. Additionally, I've read a few articles that indicate the poor cold brakes pedal feel is becoming a thing of the past as more research is done and the formulas for composite materials are adjusted in systems designed for street-driven cars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not really. It just means the first bit of pedal travel feels "squishy" instead of linear and firm. Once they're up to temperature, though, that reportedly goes away.

·
Registered
420 Posts
As much as I like the idea of having them, it's way beyond what I need for street usage.

One of my friends is in the same position but just wants it as 'bling'.... can't blame him. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just don't believe that the difference in the brakes will be something that I will find worth the expenditure.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Honestly, the real benefit of CC brakes is reducing fade that comes from prolonged abuse over say a 50 lap formula 1 race. On the road your tires are the largest factor in braking.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I definitely plan on getting these. See, my somewhat arrogant brother-in-law has a tricked out Lexus and he's always bragging about how good it is on the track. Wait until he gets a load of me!... I plan on feeding him a big slice of humble pie whether he like's it or not, when the time comes. >:)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Carbon ceramics aren't really that great when they're cold and if you use them on your daily car, most of the time you won't be able to warm them up properly before getting to where you need to go. If you go on track then by all means but I don't so I won't go for the ceramics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered mine with them. If they are an option I go with them on every car I own. If you are a street driver only then I can see not going with them but for me who will track the car and pushes the brakes on the road as well there is no option.

I would also add Alfa has them prices at a bargain level. $5500 for CCBs is fantastic and half the price for a comparable Porsche option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.