Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know ballpark numbers on how many Giulia's Alfa sold last year? I am about 800 miles (and problem free -- knock on wood) into my '18 Ti Sport Q2 and I love it. I have to say that reading this forum, while helpful, gives me some anxiety because of the issues people have.

I'd like to think that there are a decent number of Giulia's on the road whose owners aren't on forums and aren't having issues (I'm sure some are too). I'd feel a lot better if say Alfa sold 10k Giulia's last year and that there might be 10-20 people who've had major issues report their problem on this forum.

I live in the Raleigh area and I've only seen 1 in the past 1.5 months of ownership so maybe 10k is optimistic for a national sales number for the US or maybe even globally...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Having been a member of a number of brand and model specific auto forums, I can attest that the prevalence of negative reports on this forum is not unusual. My statement is not meant to diminish the problems that some have reported. However, the main people who participate and contribute to a forum such as this are a self-selecting type. Most can be broadly sorted into 1) Alfisti & enthusiasts and 2) those with problems. The garden variety owner with no problems is unlikely to join, and even less likely to post. Also, there are always a few members who seem to be trolling and trying to stir up discord.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well, the reliability of Alfa, and other FCA vehicles landed it in the bottom of Consumer Reports, so there is more to it here than "self-selection."

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2018/02/top-10-worst-automakers-of-2018-consumer-reports.html

But I agree with @LoCoRob that most forum members are enthusiasts or those looking for solutions to problems. The main issue for FCA appears to be that it chose the dealer network poorly, leaving many owners with little recourse when issues arise with the vehicles other than to seek solutions here.

But don't spend your time worrying. If your car is working as it's supposed to, enjoy it. It really is the best in class driving, and won Motor Trend Car of the Year for that reason (despite the fact Motor Trend's tester broke down!)

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
I live in the Raleigh area and I've only seen 1 in the past 1.5 months of ownership so maybe 10k is optimistic for a national sales number for the US or maybe even globally...
I live in the same area and I have seen two: A Quadrifoglio and a Ti. I've also seen one Stelvio and one 4C. Remember though, all the other brands have had years to build up road density for their cars, but Alfa started last year with zero road density. I would be surprised to see a lot of Alfas even if they were selling 4-5 times as many.

One issue in this area is that Hendriks did not want to negotiate much on price. I had to go to Maryland to get the price I wanted.

As for issues brought up in the forum, that is the way with all car forums - people with issues come here. My car has been defect free.

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
As per the quoted consumer report...
"Alfa Romeo may have earned above-average marks for owner satisfaction, but it received the worst rating for predicted reliability. The Italian automaker is part of FCA and the two models tested earned the brand a road test score of 72. The overall score of 49 however, puts it in 31st place".

What is this world coming to??
How to you PREDICT reliability or base your report on prediction. I might as well go to a soothsayer or get a prediction through a crystal ball.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,444 Posts
The reliability of Consumer Reports, in matters of car quality, landed it in my personal bathroom.
I take it that is because you don't have a new puppy or birdcage.

Reactions: Il_Conte

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the insight. The Alfa is my 14th car so I kind of have a car problem and I'm on a lot of the forums for cars I used to own and this forum seems to have more negative issues compared to most, but I totally get that forums aren't for the masses.

Consumer Reports ranks Jeep near the bottom too and my 2016 Grand Cherokee Diesel had ZERO issues (until my wife accidentally put gas into it). Our 2017 is also problem free. I take consumer reports with a grain of salt for sure.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The car is new to the market and although there are a number of issues raised here on the forum, they are but a small number in relation to the total number purchased. If there were a real serious problem with the Giulia there would be thousands of complaints on this forum.

I think most car journalist types who review cars treat them with little respect and it's no surprise to me that they have failures and tend to break the cars more so than someone who has had to shell out hard earned money.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
The problem with the idea that the forums aren't representative is the very small number of cars, just 9k. That means trouble reports become statistically significant rather quickly; 5% of 9k is only 450. How many forum users are there? How many of them have reported one or more problems?

I'm not betting against Giulia being of below average reliability.

Reactions: Ed Brown

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Just curious

The reliability of Consumer Reports, in matters of car quality, landed it in my personal bathroom.
Who do you think Consumer Reports assigned to do the car reliability surveys - the toaster review guy or the washing machine guy?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Alfa Romeo in general had a very strong showing in March for sales in the US. Their best month ever (or since they've returned in the last couple of years).

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Who do you think Consumer Reports assigned to do the car reliability surveys - the toaster review guy or the washing machine guy?
CR's car testers are professionals. They just weight their evaluation differently than most enthusiasts. Which makes me wonder, what do they drive? I wouldn't be surprised to find their facility's parking lot full of Hondas and Toyotas and their home garages populated with some fun wheels.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
I am curious to know how many cars they sold by state. Probably because I am an analytical geek

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I am curious to know how many cars they sold by state. Probably because I am an analytical geek
Hmmm, maybe search state registrations? While some cars may have been sold in states other than the one in which they are registered, I imagine they represent exceptions.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Keep in mind that their best prior year of sales was in 1986, and they sold 8,200 cars. It's safe to assume that they did not sell 2,500 of those in one month. :)

So last year was the best ever year for Alfa in the US, and they are certainly trending in the right direction with close to 6,000 already in 2018. Ending the year with 25-30k in sales would be a huge victory for Alfa.

I've seen a few crawling around here in Scottsdale: a few 4C's, some Giulias and a Stelvio or two. Mine is the only Q that I have seen, but the local dealers can't seem to keep them in stock (even now). So they are out there...

Alfa Romeo in general had a very strong showing in March for sales in the US. Their best month ever (or since they've returned in the last couple of years).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts