Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Did You Buy Quad with Ceramic Brakes?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For QV owners, curious those that bought CCB's. I personally did not want them for this car. I did not see any purpose on this one to have them. However, respect those that did.

Anyone buy with or without and wish they had not?

This will probably be helpful to those looking.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have you driven a street car with them? I was doubtful then 15 years ago bought a car that had them and fond i loved them. They work amazingly well and do have a different pedal feel, but when you know them, work well for nearly ever. If you only street drive your car, they'll add value on resale, and for those who care about it, keep your wheels cleaner. For those who like the feel, the brakes are amazingly good at dragging the car down for a tight corner on a windy road out in the middle of nowhere, and put a smile on your face. The extra cost on this car is not that great, and for the average buyer's expected ownership lifetime, will be trouble-free.

I'd actually think twice about them if I were tracking my car regularly. Steel will work nearly as well at the track and cost so much less to maintain for track use. My track car came with CC and I replaced them with steel for that reason. I'm willing to give up some of the better (to me) pedal feel and overall grip for the lower ongoing cost of use.

And man, those huge CC rotors look so cool. If that's important to you. :)

Just another perspective.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you driven a street car with them? I was doubtful then 15 years ago bought a car that had them and fond i loved them. They work amazingly well and do have a different pedal feel, but when you know them, work well for nearly ever. If you only street drive your car, they'll add value on resale, and for those who care about it, keep your wheels cleaner. For those who like the feel, the brakes are amazingly good at dragging the car down for a tight corner on a windy road out in the middle of nowhere, and put a smile on your face. The extra cost on this car is not that great, and for the average buyer's expected ownership lifetime, will be trouble-free.

I'd actually think twice about them if I were tracking my car regularly. Steel will work nearly as well at the track and cost so much less to maintain for track use. My track car came with CC and I replaced them with steel for that reason. I'm willing to give up some of the better (to me) pedal feel and overall grip for the lower ongoing cost of use.

And man, those huge CC rotors look so cool. If that's important to you. :)

Just another perspective.
Valid points. Good feedback...if it were a primary car I might agree. It's not for me so was not important. But again, it's all opinion and why I put the poll out.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
I had never had a car with CCB brakes and we wanted to get some experience with them.

So far, the negatives that you hear about have mostly been non-issues (hard to modulate, poor pedal feel cold, etc) and the positives have lived up to their billing.

I especially like the 100% fade-free nature when driving in the mountains and the lack or any real brake dust accumulation.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
CCBs are amazing. I drove a set on an F430 at an autocross event with an instructor. They can snap your neck. However, 8K is about 2, maybe more winter wheel and tire packages and that's what I am longing for now. Not gonna happen until at least next year, unless my tax refund is out of this world. The steel Brembos are still great and I felt a couple classes better than my drilled and slotted DBX rotors on my Miata. But those are smaller of course. To me CCB are overkill unless you are tracking the car. And then when tracking, maintaining them is another expense. Just pray you don't crack a rotor.

Reactions: JerryIII

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure how you will quantify who did vs did not get the brakes...I ordered them, they are superb, I had them on other cars...I see them becoming more popular as they drop in cost...therefore a must to keep the car relevant.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If you own a Quad without the CCB, you should return it instantly....worth every penny....

Reactions: Jstash

·
Registered
617 Posts
the standard fare is more than exceptional. it is funny to note that the standard steel rotors and 6 piston brembos are better than what a gtp car had back in the camel gt days. i am fine with not having ccb's.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The standard steel brakes that come on the GQV are amazing. I wouldn't fault anyone for buying the carbon ceramic brakes...it's their money and their right. But I think the CCB are totally overkill. Save the $8000 and instead spend it on an 8-year extended warranty, and some other nice bling for the car.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Where should I return it?
Just drop it off at the dealer or ship it back to the factory?
I think ATXQUAD does an airport drop off.....>:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do dealers discount the CCB option? I was able to talk my dealer out of waiving that charge when I bought my last AMG.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Do dealers discount the CCB option? I was able to talk my dealer out of waiving that charge when I bought my last AMG.
Dealers can discount the overall price of the car a bit. Though, it depends upon the market. A lot of Quadrifoglio's were sold at MSRP throughout 2017. Discounts are definitely out there now that the model year is over. Act fast. Very few 2017's out there.

That being said, if anyone has the carbon ceramic brakes and doesn't want them, let me know!? I'm looking to swap them onto my car + cash.

Thanks!

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
526 Posts
If I'd had the choice I would not have purchased them but there was a period of time when you couldn't order a Q without them. Guess when I ordered mine?

They are beastly brakes for a beastly car. Just the presence thru the wheels are almost worth the cost of admission.

Having said that, they are so over the top for street use its kinda crazy, BUT, so is the Q.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah, seemed like overkill for me. Also, the person above who mentioned a "minor difference" in cost? Yikes.....$8k plus sounds like a lot to me. Can you have your job? :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drive quite aggressively so the stopping capabilities of the CCB's was a must. Standard brakes don't have that sharp bite. Plus, I don't wash my cars often so at least the wheels don't get all that brake dust. :smile2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Questions from someone who’s never had CCBs.

Do they last longer, meaning less replacements over time and maybe justifying the costs?

I would assume replacing them is equal in added expense over replacing normal pad/rotors?

Anyone had a WV long enough to replace the steel brake pads/rotors yet? If so, what’s that running and after how many miles?

Trying to get a sense of the on-going maintence costs to expect from a Q.V. thanks.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
When I decided I needed a QV I located the almost exact car I wanted a few weeks out from delivery to the dealer and made an offer and the dealer accepted. I had toyed with the idea of the CC’s but I couldn’t wrap my head around paying over 10% the price of the whole car on brakes when the standard ones are already pretty stout. I felt some pangs of guilt not getting the “highest performance” option available but after a day at the track they are more brakes than I’ll ever need and if I do wear them out the standard ones will be far cheaper to replace the consumables. The price of the CC brakes alone could probably get you started on a decent used Miata track car:wink2:

It would be nice to have less brake dust but one advantage of the dark wheels is they go from dark shiny to looking like dark matte...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I haven’t owned a car with CCBs I hear they work well last longer but are very expensive to replace compared to steel. When I test drove the car the steels were great so when I shopped for one CCBs were not a deal breaker. I bought with out and I’m very happy with my choice. Don’t see myself tracking the car so don’t know it I would get a 8K benefit from having them.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts