Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered an Alfa and found out it's status was moved to "in shipping" last week. I am just wondering if folks have an idea of how long that process takes. To be honest, I hope it takes a bit because there are no incentives right now.

Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
I ordered a MY 2018 in December, in late Feb the car was moved to in transit. I was able to actually find the ship to was on and know when the ship docked in Baltimore. Once it hit the docks it was lost for 6 weeks, it arrived at the dealer on April 11. I would plan 6 - 8 weeks from now, unless the process has improved once in the US. There are multiple inspections that take place and then you have shipping from the dock to the dealer. Once the car arrives at the dock there is little to no information you can get from AR, it seems to be a black hole that eventually delivers the car out the back end. All in all worth the wait even with my disaster in ordering the car. This is the most fun I have driving since I was in high school driving a 72 Lotus. I would likely go through it again to get what I wanted.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I ordered an Alfa and found out it's status was moved to "in shipping" last week. I am just wondering if folks have an idea of how long that process takes. To be honest, I hope it takes a bit because there are no incentives right now.

Thanks
Oh Wow, not sure, but perhaps I'm in the same situation. I'm not sure when you special ordered yours. But I "Special Ordered" my '19 Sports Ti on 6/28. I have the order sheet with all the goodies I wanted and priced out with some discounts on options. Not much more than that. But the dealer would let me know if there would be discounts on 19's, considering all these supposed discounts Alfa's spewing out these days... None the less, the numbers worked for me. Waiting time about 6 months. So about 2 weeks ago I contacted my dealer and asked about my special orders status. He checked the system while I held on the phone, When he came back on he told me it hasn't entered the system yet. But he would notify me once it did. He said in a couple of weeks. Then about 5 days ago I contacted Alfa Care and got hold of a remarkable Rep. I gave her my Von# and she told me the same and I was considered a 2019 "Pre-Order". Production starts on the '19 Guilias in September. There's a lot of downtime in Europe in August, they got it figured out... I'm guessing some-tooling goes on, etc. But production doesn't officially begin until September. I'm just hoping mine is somewhere near the top of the build order. Once my Von# becomes a Vin#, I'm hoping Christmas but now I'm thinking February, Bummer...

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Giulia arrived at the dealership yesterday and I will be picking it up tomorrow. Here are the critical dates:

ordered on April 30;
built on May 29;
loaded on the ship June 28;
arrived in Jacksonville July 13;
arrived at the dealership July 24.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info. I was told it was "in shipping" as of last week. Was yours in that state as of May 29th or June 28th?

My Giulia arrived at the dealership yesterday and I will be picking it up tomorrow. Here are the critical dates:

ordered on April 30;
built on May 29;
loaded on the ship June 28;
arrived in Jacksonville July 13;
arrived at the dealership July 24.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was never told that it was "in shipping." After it was built on May 29, the next notification I had was the June 28 "ship date." He said that may mean that it is "on the boat now." Although the words are not same that may be the situation yours is in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well things got worse...I guess...I came home last night and my wife is on the phone with this odd look on her face and hands the phone over-car is here....I honestly wasn't ready for it to show this soon. I still need to sell her car and....there are no incentives. Dealer said I needed to pick it up by the end of the month and I am not even sure I want to drive down there this month....

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well things got worse...I guess...I came home last night and my wife is on the phone with this odd look on her face and hands the phone over-car is here....I honestly wasn't ready for it to show this soon. I still need to sell her car and....there are no incentives. Dealer said I needed to pick it up by the end of the month and I am not even sure I want to drive down there this month....
I don't understand....you ordered a car and now you're disappointed it's here? Because there's no incentives? That seems odd to me. I assumed when you ordered a car the price was already agreed upon.

·
Registered
857 Posts
When I ordered my Giulia from the factory (through a local dealer), I was told that the incentives might change and it would be sold with (or without) whatever incentives were applicable at the time it arrived and was sold to me. Luckily there were still two incentives in effect which amounted to $2,750, I believe. I think that the incentives come and go each Month but it looks to me like the $1,750 one is still in effect (per the AR web site). You might want to go to the web site and "build a car" then look at the pricing summary. There is also another incentive if you are doing a lease.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks for the clarification...I never knew that it worked that way. I always assued the price was the price.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Oh Wow, not sure, but perhaps I'm in the same situation. I'm not sure when you special ordered yours. But I "Special Ordered" my '19 Sports Ti on 6/28. I have the order sheet with all the goodies I wanted and priced out with some discounts on options. Not much more than that. But the dealer would let me know if there would be discounts on 19's, considering all these supposed discounts Alfa's spewing out these days... None the less, the numbers worked for me. Waiting time about 6 months. So about 2 weeks ago I contacted my dealer and asked about my special orders status. He checked the system while I held on the phone, When he came back on he told me it hasn't entered the system yet. But he would notify me once it did. He said in a couple of weeks. Then about 5 days ago I contacted Alfa Care and got hold of a remarkable Rep. I gave her my Von# and she told me the same and I was considered a 2019 "Pre-Order". Production starts on the '19 Guilias in September. There's a lot of downtime in Europe in August, they got it figured out... I'm guessing some-tooling goes on, etc. But production doesn't officially begin until September. I'm just hoping mine is somewhere near the top of the build order. Once my Von# becomes a Vin#, I'm hoping Christmas but now I'm thinking February, Bummer...
Here is where I get confused. Some dealers can’t say what the discounts are going to be until the car arrives so you Just hope they are great. I would expect 2018 discounts are better than 2019 but some folks ordered 2019 from Strongsville and said that the dealership guaranteed them 8k off their QV and are expecting more maybe. I just think it is strange that they can commit unless the dealership like Strongsville has better pricing with AR.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I don't understand....you ordered a car and now you're disappointed it's here? Because there's no incentives? That seems odd to me. I assumed when you ordered a car the price was already agreed upon.
Every manufacturer that you order from can’t guarantee the rebates will be there they say they “should” which is why we are hesitant to order because no one would ever give us a guarantee. We get we expect them or the should be or the likely. This was with our F350. So unless the dealer is willing to discount because we know they have flooring and holdbacks which will cut their profits but they can’t commit to a manufacturer rebate in any given month I would think.

Hey can’t you find that out because doesn’t your wife work for Maser?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Check my sig. The great MacGeek informed us it takes 5 days to build a Giulia. This month is the Augusto festival/holiday so don't expect much movement until September. That also includes the Italian grand prix weekend at Monza so more delays there. Non quads will probably get here faster and it's been a year since mine was built. The loss of S. Marchionne may also cause some delays, albeit small.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Just reading on Edmonds because I was curious about what Tariffs may do to impact the price of the imports. They didn't mention that right now but they did state this about ordering for purchase off the lot:

When you factory order, you get exactly what you want, in the color you want, and the dealer doesn’t have any finance charges -- which may reduce the cost to you.

The downside to ordering is that incentives and rebates are good only on the day of delivery, unless stated otherwise (in writing) by the dealer. In other words, if an incentive or rebate program is in effect when the vehicle is ordered -- but not in effect on the day of delivery -- the customer is usually ineligible for the incentive or rebate. If you order a vehicle, and the delivery date is very close to the expiration date of a rebate or incentive program, note that the dealer may try to delay delivery until after the rebate or incentive has expired.

Also keep in mind that a dealer will be less likely to negotiate on a model that’s a hot seller. But if the model you’re seeking has been gathering dust on the sales floor, you may be able score a great deal

·
Registered
1 Posts
It all depends on the distance the car has to be transported. Also, it's important what company is delivering the car to you. It's a very complex question. I work with such companies since 2019. I sell second-hand cars. The best-transporting company for me is guardianautotransport.com. The guys from there always have delivered me the cars in time. These guys will take care of your beloved car. I remember that I have a few awful experiences with some previous companies that I was working with. These guys are the best.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
It all depends on the distance the car has to be transported. Also, it's important what company is delivering the car to you. It's a very complex question.
Answering posts from 3 years ago?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts