Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read one thread of someone who bought a rear spoiler and installed it, but have other bought and installed one? Does it stay on so far if taped? Is there a brand that I should prefer or are all these rear spoilers in Google Shopping the same?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
It should stay on with good 3m auto molding tape. If you get one with 1/4 inch wide tape, you can buy 1/2 inch at an auto store. I just remounted my Togue Run spoiler on my Miata using 2 layers of the wider tape and it holds tons better. Even the "loose" uneven original held fine on many long highway trips for 3 years. The extra layer made for a better form fit with variations. Either my spoiler was slightly twisted of when I tired too hard to get the thin tape to stick on the passenger side, it slipped down an 1/8 inch or so and if you looked carefully or looked at the trunk edge/spoiler corners, you could see it was cockeyed. It's straight now and I actually have a little more duck tail up angle. Unfortunately the looseness allowed some wear on that low passenger side and now the primer is visible in a hairline under the passenger side. You can't really see it unless you are low and looking straight on, below the spoiler. Way better than cockeyed ;) it holds strong now too and I feel much better about that. No drill holes or bolts.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
My spoiler had 3m tape on it and it is rock solid. I installed it myself.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
91 Posts
I purchased the SD from EBay, it came with 3m tape, installed my self using the masking tape trick... no movement, feels solid. My concern was that water would find it's way into the tape and loosen it. But so far that has not happened. Looks great.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts
I purchased the SD from EBay, it came with 3m tape, installed my self using the masking tape trick... no movement, feels solid. My concern was that water would find it's way into the tape and loosen it. But so far that has not happened. Looks great.
With winter approaching, is it possible for water to get between the strips of tape, freeze and heave the whole thing off? Is wide tape that will cover the whole bottom available and advisable?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Who did you purchase the rear spoiler from?

It would be great if you guys could share where you purchased your rear spoiler. If you are happy with it, it makes sense for the rest of us to use the same vendor. Thanks in advance, Rich

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
As long as you get it seated and let it set up overnight, you should be fine. The foam may absorb some water but the adhesive itself will hold firm. The strong heavy duty stuff is good for many pounds per square inch. Also, the rear spoiler is under aerodynamic compression normally so the only real forces to be worried about are shear and rotation, front to back, and with the short chord width of the spoiler, those forces would have to be very great indeed.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Don't sweat the small stuff. Trim work on cars has been attached like this for years.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I purchased a spoiler from eBay back in May and installed it with the 3M tape provided. Used blue painters tape as one post suggested. It is on rock solid. I know that the next comment might make you cringe, but I've taken my Giulia through the carwash over a dozen times...no issue.

I'm happy with the spoiler and on a white car with the black spoiler...what a looker!

Ciao,

Ray

·
Registered
201 Posts
There are several different carbon fiber weaves. So if you are putting other carbon fiber pieces on eventually, request a closeup photo of the pattern from the sellers.
For example my spoiler cf has a golden hue to it (very minor) and pattern is different from the door handle covers. It's not noticeable to anyone but me. Still, my advice is to get closeup photo of pattern and compare the different sellers, just to be sure. Don't rely on ad photos.
Tape holds well btw

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts
From other folk's posts:

SD Carbon (China): great finish, maybe OK weave (unclear from the reviews). Shape differs slightly from the QV design. Taped on. Tape is supplied separately. Conforms to trunk lid. No posted weight information. Around $200.

Yomato Carbon (Canada): reported minor flaws in finish in almost every part; weave is excellent. Copies QV design. Taped On, with tape already attached to the part. Conforms to trunk lid. No posted weight information. Around $450.

Koshi (Japan?): No posted reviews, but I bought one with fingers crossed. Flawless finish and weave. Copies QV design as far as I can tell. GLUED ON, I am still checking for compatibility of the recommended glue with Xpel on the trunk lid. Mfg says it intentionally does not conform to the trunk lid and must be weighted down while the glue dries (about 6 hours). Remarkably light at 6.6 ounces. Around $450 from Alfa9.

OEM: Nobody has reported going this route. Priced around $1300 and reportedly has some screws (and tape?) holding it on.

Regarding copying the QV design: it seems reasonable to assume that the QV design was tested in a wind tunnel and that inaccurate copies are likely to yield inferior performance.

Regarding taping on an exterior part: I have seen 1980s vehicles with taped on parts (mostly shopping cart bumpers) have the parts peel off. I have not observed this on later model vehicles, so maybe the tape or the application there of got better over the years?

·
Registered
61 Posts
From other folk's posts:

SD Carbon (China): great finish, maybe OK weave (unclear from the reviews). Shape differs slightly from the QV design. Taped on. Tape is supplied separately. Conforms to trunk lid. No posted weight information. Around $200.

Yomato Carbon (Canada): reported minor flaws in finish in almost every part; weave is excellent. Copies QV design. Taped On, with tape already attached to the part. Conforms to trunk lid. No posted weight information. Around $450.

Koshi (Japan?): No posted reviews, but I bought one with fingers crossed. Flawless finish and weave. Copies QV design as far as I can tell. GLUED ON, I am still checking for compatibility of the recommended glue with Xpel on the trunk lid. Mfg says it intentionally does not conform to the trunk lid and must be weighted down while the glue dries (about 6 hours). Remarkably light at 6.6 ounces. Around $450 from Alfa9.

OEM: Nobody has reported going this route. Priced around $1300 and reportedly has some screws (and tape?) holding it on.

Regarding copying the QV design: it seems reasonable to assume that the QV design was tested in a wind tunnel and that inaccurate copies are likely to yield inferior performance.

Regarding taping on an exterior part: I have seen 1980s vehicles with taped on parts (mostly shopping cart bumpers) have the parts peel off. I have not observed this on later model vehicles, so maybe the tape or the application there of got better over the years?
how are the ones sold by madness? The carbon covered frp for example

·
Registered
111 Posts
I purchased a spoiler from eBay back in May and installed it with the 3M tape provided. Used blue painters tape as one post suggested. It is on rock solid. I know that the next comment might make you cringe, but I've taken my Giulia through the carwash over a dozen times...no issue.

I'm happy with the spoiler and on a white car with the black spoiler...what a looker!

Ciao,

Ray
It should stay on with good 3m auto molding tape. If you get one with 1/4 inch wide tape, you can buy 1/2 inch at an auto store. I just remounted my Togue Run spoiler on my Miata using 2 layers of the wider tape and it holds tons better. Even the "loose" uneven original held fine on many long highway trips for 3 years. The extra layer made for a better form fit with variations. Either my spoiler was slightly twisted of when I tired too hard to get the thin tape to stick on the passenger side, it slipped down an 1/8 inch or so and if you looked carefully or looked at the trunk edge/spoiler corners, you could see it was cockeyed. It's straight now and I actually have a little more duck tail up angle. Unfortunately the looseness allowed some wear on that low passenger side and now the primer is visible in a hairline under the passenger side. You can't really see it unless you are low and looking straight on, below the spoiler. Way better than cockeyed ;) it holds strong now too and I feel much better about that. No drill holes or bolts.

Hi all, I installed the spoiler 2 days ago. Today went to check on it and noticed that some parts of the 3M tape on the back side of the spoiler really didn't make good contact with the trunk. If I try to wiggle the spoiler, it wiggles just a little bit. Maybe millimeter. Do you think the spoiler can hold? or should I reinstall? I don't know if yours can wiggle just a tiny bit. If water gets in under the spoiler, does that mean the 3M tape with dissolve or become looser over time lol? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
From other folk's posts:

Thank you for the comparison. Can you post back about the Koshi once you get it installed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Installing spoiler

I installed an SD Carbon spoiler. It is rock solid, and looks great. I trick I learned from a body shop friend is to use a hair dryer on low heat and warm up the base where the tape is after you install it. NOT hot, just warm it up alittle, and then put a little more pressure on it.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yes a little heat will help. And if you are trying to mount these below 60F you are going to have issues.

Yuri, this is the kind of thing that happened to me. How wide was your tape? How thick? What will happen is dirt and dust will get under there and foul the tape and it will never stick again. If it is still sort of clean, try to add heat and pressure. Maybe put small weight on it. Just be careful not to distort the spoiler or knock it out of alignment. Heat the spoiler too to help it flex.

·
Registered
40 Posts
purchased aftermarket cf spoiler made in china but shipped within week from los angeles on amazon. about $150 shipped. looks pretty good. came with 3m tape and i installed myself. wiped everything down with alcohol. placed tape around perimeter of spoiler and then stuck it on trunk. held it down with electric tape for a day. didnt use hairdryer since warm day. had to go 1cm off center with it to get it to fit though. could see gaps between trunk when centered. dont notice it so dont really care about that. just hope it stays on. has slight wiggle but i think its due to spoiler flexing and not the tape.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Removing After Market Spoiler

My lease expires in a couple of months. I plan to turn it in, as my need for awd has increased. I may get another Gulia or a Stelvio.

I do not know if I should leave my spoiler on my car when I turn it in, or take it off before turn in. My lease is with Ally, do you think they will charge me for the spoiler? I could just take it off before turn in, but I am not sure how tough that will be after it has been on the car for nearly two years.

Any suggestions?

Rich

1 - 20 of 29 Posts