Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here. I actually leased a new 2017 Audi A4 and unbelievably my two week old car was totaled while parked at a garage with 450 miles on it (that's a long story but involves a woman in a Yukon XL essentially losing her mind - nobody was hurt thankfully).

Thinking of looking at the Giulia Ti in AWD. My Audi was $46K MSRP and looks like a I could equip a Giulia at $46K that i would see as somewhat comparable in trim.

Curious if anyone here recently did a lease on these cars? Hoping to get some real world pricing (I am in metro NYC area) My Audi was $2K total out the door (including tax and DMV fees) and $410/mo for 42 months 12K mi/yr. (it was a very aggressive deal at year's end)

I am thinking of just getting another 2017 A4 but if the Giulia is somewhat in that ballpark I will definitely give it a look and test drive first. I know it will be more fun to drive.

Pete

·
Registered
288 Posts
...... Now that sounds like a story that would be great to share, but I think I'm afraid to hear it :|

Haven't checked up on lease pricing though but perhaps give a dealer a ring and see if they can match something up for you. Let them know what you had going on with the Audi and say you'd rather be sitting in a Giulia but only if you can make something work.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
New here. I actually leased a new 2017 Audi A4 and unbelievably my two week old car was totaled while parked at a garage with 450 miles on it (that's a long story but involves a woman in a Yukon XL essentially losing her mind - nobody was hurt thankfully).

Thinking of looking at the Giulia Ti in AWD. My Audi was $46K MSRP and looks like a I could equip a Giulia at $46K that i would see as somewhat comparable in trim.

Curious if anyone here recently did a lease on these cars? Hoping to get some real world pricing (I am in metro NYC area) My Audi was $2K total out the door (including tax and DMV fees) and $410/mo for 42 months 12K mi/yr. (it was a very aggressive deal at year's end)

I am thinking of just getting another 2017 A4 but if the Giulia is somewhat in that ballpark I will definitely give it a look and test drive first. I know it will be more fun to drive.

Pete
Sounds like we have similar financial position, my dad has a a 2016 A4 for about the same monthly lease price and that's what I am trying to get the Giulia Ti to be price wise (lease) for myself. I am thinking 450/mo is what I can expect but have not looked into tax/DMV yet but I know it (should) be okay. The Giulia is VERY MUCH in the ballpark for your A4, go drive one! :smile2:

·
Registered
226 Posts
To date Giulia leases are not competitive with their German counterparts.. Two reasons: 1) low residuals - right now in the 52% range for a 36/10 lease. 2) low supply of cars so Alfa and dealers don't have a ton of incentive to go for volume. This may change as more base units and Tis show up, but last month I was quoted in the $600 range plus tax for $2k drive off. This was at two different dealers.. My guess is you'll be about $100 per month higher for a 42/12 Giulia lease vs A4 with same drive off. Good luck and let us know what you find..

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have been a loyal A4 owner since Alfa left the USA. I own a 2008 A4 Avant 6-speed, about the last year the offered a manual tranny. I have driven the newer A4's as loaners and have not been too impressed, they, like BMW, are becoming too generic. You at least owe it to yourself to test drive the Giulia, it's a night and day difference to the A4 if you like to have fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I test drove the Giulia today. Wow. Great driving experience. Beautiful car. Not as practical as A4. Rear seats and trunk pretty much suck. Don't like the run flats, but admit the 18s rode nice. Better acceleration, sharper steering, better handling than the Audi.

But the lease numbers. UGH! I was ready to sign on the line that is dotted if they came in higher $400s (on a $46K ti AWD) I wanted to get this car.

$2K out the door, 39 mo, 12K/yr $620????? WTF?

That is crazy. It is not remotely competetive. Unsolicited, I got contacted by another Audi dealer I had spoken to before leasing the A4 that was totalled. They are offering on a $45.5K MSRP Audi A4 - $2K out the door, 36 mo, 12K/yr, $420/mo

The Alfa salesman was knowledgeable and just a fun guy. I'd love to give him some business but this is crack smoking stuff. He talked about Alfa wanting to "penetrate the market". What "market"? They want to skim the market if you ask me. They have no financing arm in the U.S. to subsidize the launch. This car treads the line of emotional purchase/rational daily driver lease competing with BMW 3s, Audi A4s and Mercedes C. It's in no mans land.

I understand that they need time to get the resids established, but the factory has to help the dealers. At $600 there is no way this is competitive. I asked if more people are buying than leasing but he said no they are leasing because of first year model, new in U.S., etc etc. That blows my mind frankly. I understand as emotional purchase but not lease.

Love the car, but does not pencil for me. I'm bummed.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
So I test drove the Giulia today. Wow. Great driving experience. Beautiful car. Not as practical as A4. Rear seats and trunk pretty much suck. Don't like the run flats, but admit the 18s rode nice. Better acceleration, sharper steering, better handling than the Audi.

But the lease numbers. UGH! I was ready to sign on the line that is dotted if they came in higher $400s (on a $46K ti AWD) I wanted to get this car.

$2K out the door, 39 mo, 12K/yr $620????? WTF?

That is crazy. It is not remotely competetive. Unsolicited, I got contacted by another Audi dealer I had spoken to before leasing the A4 that was totalled. They are offering on a $45.5K MSRP Audi A4 - $2K out the door, 36 mo, 12K/yr, $420/mo

The Alfa salesman was knowledgeable and just a fun guy. I'd love to give him some business but this is crack smoking stuff. He talked about Alfa wanting to "penetrate the market". What "market"? They want to skim the market if you ask me. They have no financing arm in the U.S. to subsidize the launch. This car treads the line of emotional purchase/rational daily driver lease competing with BMW 3s, Audi A4s and Mercedes C. It's in no mans land.

I understand that they need time to get the resids established, but the factory has to help the dealers. At $600 there is no way this is competitive. I asked if more people are buying than leasing but he said no they are leasing because of first year model, new in U.S., etc etc. That blows my mind frankly. I understand as emotional purchase but not lease.

Love the car, but does not pencil for me. I'm bummed.
Wow what the ****, that's not even close to what I was expecting but I am looking at the 10k/yr lease with a bit of a bigger downpayment I should have mentioned ... sorry you came to this reality, was there any way to negotiate them down somehow? What is the downpayment you thought of 2k? I know you previously mentioned taxes etc

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yeah that is kinda steep. But maybe they are also wary of the first model run maintenance and reliability? They may be worried about some recalls and significant upgrades. Trying to cushion the costs with a rich inflow of cash upfront? I've seen Chrysler FCA financing up here to buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess they could but they are not doing that yet. I forget the name of the bank/financing institution that the salesperson said they use, but the money rate was 1.45% and the resid was 50% on 39 months. I understand an outside financing arm wanting to be conservative with the resid on a brand new product with no experience baseline. Consider my Audi lease through Audi financial was 42 months 12K/yr and carried a 54% resid and much lower money factor.

I was not expecting Alfa to match the deal I got with Audi, frankly I like the car enough that I would consider even $500/mo 36mo 12K/yr with $2K out the door. But $600? nah its just not competitive at that price point.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I guess they could but they are not doing that yet. I forget the name of the bank/financing institution that the salesperson said they use, but the money rate was 1.45% and the resid was 50% on 39 months. I understand an outside financing arm wanting to be conservative with the resid on a brand new product with no experience baseline. Consider my Audi lease through Audi financial was 42 months 12K/yr and carried a 54% resid and much lower money factor.

I was not expecting Alfa to match the deal I got with Audi, frankly I like the car enough that I would consider even $500/mo 36mo 12K/yr with $2K out the door. But $600? nah its just not competitive at that price point.
Ally Bank is who the dealership I dealt with used. Don't know if that is an FCA mandate, or just who they chose. But I'm guessing it cam from the top down.

·
Registered
226 Posts
As long as supply is limited, and IF the car is selling well, the manufacturer has no incentive to subsidize dealer discounts, the residual, or the money factor (interest rate). Right now it appears most dealers receive between 5-10 Giulias in on a shipment every 2-3 months, plus 1-2 QVs every six months. With such scarce supply lease rates won't get much better this summer. You'll see this change in the fall/winter if shipments bump up to 20-30 cars at a time to the average dealer.

Mercedes and BMW fight for volume most years, so if you pick your spots you can find some pretty heavily subsidized leases. And Audi has jumped on the train as well, though their cars don't seem to lease quite as well. But also hasn't this increased volume lead to somewhat less exclusivity of the badge? A C class sedan or vanilla 3-series are kinda boring cars now - maybe due to their being so many of them out there.

As an Alfa owner, I want the Guilia, and Alfa, to be successful. But I hope Alfa protects the brand and balances volume vs giveaway subsidies that can cheapen the brand.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
As long as supply is limited, and IF the car is selling well, the manufacturer has no incentive to subsidize dealer discounts, the residual, or the money factor (interest rate). Right now it appears most dealers receive between 5-10 Giulias in on a shipment every 2-3 months, plus 1-2 QVs every six months. With such scarce supply lease rates won't get much better this summer. You'll see this change in the fall/winter if shipments bump up to 20-30 cars at a time to the average dealer.

Mercedes and BMW fight for volume most years, so if you pick your spots you can find some pretty heavily subsidized leases. And Audi has jumped on the train as well, though their cars don't seem to lease quite as well. But also hasn't this increased volume lead to somewhat less exclusivity of the badge? A C class sedan or vanilla 3-series are kinda boring cars now - maybe due to their being so many of them out there.

As an Alfa owner, I want the Guilia, and Alfa, to be successful. But I hope Alfa protects the brand and balances volume vs giveaway subsidies that can cheapen the brand.
Not sure if you've read the reports but the Giulias are not meeting sales targets despite popularity, at least the reports out of Italy ... yesterday I talked numbers with the woman at the dealer and all I will say is I am surprised how much money I can get right off the MSRP off the bat ... but yes you are correct -- personally I think demand is stronger on the QV models which is obviously lower volume, but base models aren't selling as well as they should be. A lot of people nervous about first year FCA Alfas, and rightfully so

·
Registered
248 Posts
On dealer websites, they now have a link for leasing a Ti for either $399 or $419 a month with $4299 down. This was not there even a few days ago.
The msrp for the $399 deal is $40,990. For the other it is $42,990. Good luck finding one that cheap. But at least it's a good starting point and they recognize they will have to subsidize their leases like the companies they are trying to compete with.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On some dealer websites, I am seeing a very good deal offered, $2000 down, $388 per month for 36 months, 10,000 miles per year. The MSRP for this is $40,590. Only one or two cars will be offered for this price. So this might be a loss leader, but it is a promising data point. You can see a sample of the banner with the ad flash by here unless they change it. The same offer can be found at a number of other dealers but certainly not all. Some other dealers are obviously sticking to the "leases like crap" sales strategy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anyone know if FCA uses multiple security deposits (MSD) on the leases for Alfa Romeos like BMW and Mercedes do? Would be a lot better then using a down payment.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
653 Posts
Still unreasonable

To date Giulia leases are not competitive with their German counterparts.. Two reasons: 1) low residuals - right now in the 52% range for a 36/10 lease. 2) low supply of cars so Alfa and dealers don't have a ton of incentive to go for volume.
I am coming off a very reasonable Audi A4 lease this coming June, and was hoping to replace it with a Giulia. The Audi is a quality car, but just plain boring. Sadly, I ran into this exact issue when exploring potential Giulia Ti lease deals. I'm in Chicago, and the residual value they were using on a 36 mo./12k lease was even worse than the one you quote - 48%! And the local AR dealership here had a relatively huge supply (24 Giulia's in stock.)

The car is fun and sexy, but with this type of residual, and a higher money factor, the monthly is coming in close to $200 more per month than comparably priced competitors. No thanks, especially in light of the growing list of reliability problems filling up the message boards on this forum.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
653 Posts
Bait and switch

On dealer websites, they now have a link for leasing a Ti for either $399 or $419 a month with $4299 down. This was not there even a few days ago. .
This is not an attractive deal. First, that is a huge upfront payment on a 36 month lease. It should be half that amount. Also, as is always the case with these lowball ads, it never includes taxes or fees, and it is for a 10k lease on a car that you will never be able to find, because all the ones in stock have added options. If you need 12k, and you price out a more reasonably equipped car that will list for $45k and up, once you add taxes and fees, you will be looking at a payment in the $600s.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts