Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the giulia being quite low to the ground I already scraped the bumper. At first I didn’t think it was very noticeable, but yesterday walking towards my car I could see it. It is extremely annoying and I can’t bear seeing it. I already ordered the touch up paint but I’m not sure what steps I have to go through.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I know you already ordered the touch up paint but you may want to consider Dr. Colorchip. Super easy to use.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia QV
89 Posts
Due to the giulia being quite low to the ground I already scraped the bumper. At first I didn’t think it was very noticeable, but yesterday walking towards my car I could see it. It is extremely annoying and I can’t bear seeing it. I already ordered the touch up paint but I’m not sure what steps I have to go through.
Depends. Are you OK with it looking like it is a painted scrape when you get up close? It is in an inconspicuous place and just applying touch up paint may help it look a lot better. But you will never fill in those deep gouges so that it looks real nice with just paint.

If you want to get it looking as nice as possible, here a couple of videos that will give you an idea of what is involved. The first one is a single long deep scratch, but is worth a look.

Dr ColorChip is an option as well. I've used it several times. It is a special paint that has a reducer solution to help remove excess paint as you apply it. It won't fill in deep scratches or chips any better that regular touchup paint. It can be easier to apply though.

Unless you get the surfaces almost perfectly smooth and shaped before you apply paint, the surface defects will show through on an area that big (much bigger than a rock chip).

·
Registered
979 Posts
The secret is to be patient and build up in lots of layers with a tiny artists paint brush. Don’t put a big lump on at once. Some super fine grit sandpaper and cutting compound used carefully can help if it looks lumpy .Remember it only needs to look good from a yard/meter away so don’t beat yourself up if it’s not perfect up close. Yours has some gouging in it so it won’t be perfectly smooth but that’s OK as you just need to get rid of that ugly whiteness in that location

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The secret is to be patient and build up in lots of layers with a tiny artists paint brush. Don’t put a big lump on at once. Some super fine grit sandpaper and cutting compound used carefully can help if it looks lumpy .Remember it only needs to look good from a yard/meter away so don’t beat yourself up if it’s not perfect up close. Yours has some gouging in it so it won’t be perfectly smooth but that’s OK as you just need to get rid of that ugly whiteness in that location
I know it won’t be perfect it’s just the white that annoys me. So you say I should sand it down after I apply to level it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends. Are you OK with it looking like it is a painted scrape when you get up close? It is in an inconspicuous place and just applying touch up paint may help it look a lot better. But you will never fill in those deep gouges so that it looks real nice with just paint.

If you want to get it looking as nice as possible, here a couple of videos that will give you an idea of what is involved. The first one is a single long deep scratch, but is worth a look.

Dr ColorChip is an option as well. I've used it several times. It is a special paint that has a reducer solution to help remove excess paint as you apply it. It won't fill in deep scratches or chips any better that regular touchup paint. It can be easier to apply though.

Unless you get the surfaces almost perfectly smooth and shaped before you apply paint, the surface defects will show through on an area that big (much bigger than a rock chip).
Thanks for the insight and videos. Greatly appreciated. And yes I am ok with it looking like a painted scrape. It’s the white that annoys me. As long as it looks ok from a distance I will be ok. The scratch is only visible when walking towards the car from some distance.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I know it won’t be perfect it’s just the white that annoys me. So you say I should sand it down after I apply to level it?
Only if it looks really bad and only with extra fine grit from car shops NOT hardware stores, followed by a little cutting compound and polish. But usually not because if you are too obsessive you will only go crazy when it happens again. This only applies to underside scrapes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only if it looks really bad and only with extra fine grit from car shops NOT hardware stores, followed by a little cutting compound and polish. But usually not because if you are too obsessive you will only go crazy when it happens again. This only applies to underside scrapes.
Thank you I worked on it today and it turned out better than expected. I did wetsand a little after to make it look flush. Might have to touch up some of the missed parts tomorrow. Thoughts

second picture is before

·
Registered
979 Posts
Thank you I worked on it today and it turned out better than expected. I did wetsand a little after to make it look flush. Might have to touch up some of the missed parts tomorrow. Thoughts
View attachment 109926
View attachment 109927
second picture is before
Your lighting is a bit harsh, but does it pass the 1 meter/yard rule when it is not obvious? I’d add a bit more paint to the deeper gouges to fill it in a little.It might take 3 or 4 goes of adding and smoothing. It doesn’t need to be perfect there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your lighting is a bit harsh, but does it pass the 1 meter/yard rule when it is not obvious? I’d add a bit more paint to the deeper gouges to fill it in a little.It might take 3 or 4 goes of adding and smoothing. It doesn’t need to be perfect there.

I just went over it and it looks a lot better. It does pass the 1 meter test and I’m very satisfied with it. Thanks for all your advice

1 - 15 of 15 Posts