Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I am new to this forum and the car. Love it! I am wondering how you all store your car over the winter months? I need to store over summer and winter. Sad. Which Fuel stabilizer, battery maintainer, etc do you use? Also, which paint protection do you use? Film or... Thanks all! I want to make sure I take care of my car.

·
Registered
617 Posts
throw some extra air in the tires and plug in the battery tender. I store my car throughout the year as I live in the west and the car is on the east....no problems.

I have suntek paint protection film.

·
Registered
316 Posts
On a previous car, I used to change the oil before storing. Any one have thoughts on this?
I stored a car for year when I was out of the country and did change the oil before I left. Used oil is slightly acidic and I wanted to get rid of that oil. What I did was:
1) changed the oil and filter
2) put the battery on a trickle charger
3) put steel wool in the air intake to keep out nesting mice
4) cracked the windows open to let air circulate
5) put it on stands to get the weight off the tires

The first time I was gone for a year, but the second time it was for only four months and I skipped the oil change and left it on the ground.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I stored a car for year when I was out of the country and did change the oil before I left. Used oil is slightly acidic and I wanted to get rid of that oil. What I did was:
1) changed the oil and filter
2) put the battery on a trickle charger
3) put steel wool in the air intake to keep out nesting mice
4) cracked the windows open to let air circulate
5) put it on stands to get the weight off the tires

The first time I was gone for a year, but the second time it was for only four months and I skipped the oil change and left it on the ground.
I agree the only thing i do different is change oil before driving after a year. Due to the possibility of condensation may build up in the block depending on location.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Boy glad I don't live where you guys do. Steel wool to keep invaders out??? I would go for the CeramicPro over the cQuartz reserve. We found out after the fact that there is only one installer in the entire PHX area. CeramicPro you can find more installers and not impressed with the cQuartz Reserve and it costs a lot more. Put film over the whole front end and hood, A B Pillars and rear wheels lowers. The QV is garage kept. We used Suntek but they said if you are going to track Xpel will provide more protection but it looks different. Now, we did buy the QV from OH and it sat in all weather conditions from July 2017 to April when it shipped to us. So I am not sure how they winterize the QV's on the lots that sit but it is running just fine. They probably start them up once and month and get readings I assume. Only had 40 miles when we bought it so it certainly was driven over that period.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
On a previous car, I used to change the oil before storing. Any one have thoughts on this?

Not sure it makes a difference but during that 8 months of storage on the dealer lot it never had an oil change. It is still not officially due for an oil change until it hits 1 year on the road or 10,000 miles. I asked before we bought it if we couldn't get an oil change before we got it and we got "it doesn't need it" called Alfa USA and the said the same. So why would it be any different if you are storing it?

On my last car I followed the change the oil at 1000 miles to get all the factory junk out and just paid for it. I asked our local dealer and said you don't need to do that. This time we decided we would wait. We are not going to be racking up miles this year and won't come near 10,000. If you are close to your year maybe so.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Boy glad I don't live where you guys do. Steel wool to keep invaders out??? I would go for the CeramicPro over the cQuartz reserve. We found out after the fact that there is only one installer in the entire PHX area. CeramicPro you can find more installers and not impressed with the cQuartz Reserve and it costs a lot more. Put film over the whole front end and hood, A B Pillars and rear wheels lowers. The QV is garage kept. We used Suntek but they said if you are going to track Xpel will provide more protection but it looks different. Now, we did buy the QV from OH and it sat in all weather conditions from July 2017 to April when it shipped to us. So I am not sure how they winterize the QV's on the lots that sit but it is running just fine. They probably start them up once and month and get readings I assume. Only had 40 miles when we bought it so it certainly was driven over that period.
I’m not sure what they mean we they say Epel looks different this is my second car I used it on the first pearl white this one black I didn’t see anything on ether.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I’m not sure what they mean we they say Epel looks different this is my second car I used it on the first pearl white this one black I didn’t see anything on ether.

From a detailer who is really staring at it they can tell. I am not sure I would be able to tell because right now I can't tell the difference between the Suntek Ultra and the paint on the door. I had the whole front end wrapped then cQuartz reserve applied. I think you may be able to see a little bit of a ripple "orange peel" but I am not sure about that. Mine is the Rosso Comp Tri and I think that is no more forgiving than a black honestly. The Xpel apparently has a thicker adhesive layer (more protection) than the suntek ultra and because of that adhesive and thickness it is a little trickier to get into some of those front corners. In any case it sounds like you have a really good installer which is key and they did a great job on both cars. It will be interesting to see how long all the films last before they yellow and we have to rewrap again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all! Very helpful! I’m keeping this car as long as I can. Not much driving for now. Hardest thing is to break it in well... so **** hard not to floor it. Going to my first Indianapolis 500 on Sunday and can’t wait!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree the only thing i do different is change oil before driving after a year. Due to the possibility of condensation may build up in the block depending on location.
Oh, I did that too. That's why I used cheap oil for the storage period. I didn't need Mobil 1 to just sit in the pan for a year.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thank you all! Very helpful! I’m keeping this car as long as I can. Not much driving for now. Hardest thing is to break it in well... so **** hard not to floor it. Going to my first Indianapolis 500 on Sunday and can’t wait!
This is just my opinion, but modern engines do not need long break-in periods. The metals are harder and the tolerances tighter than old engines. Engines are so good these days they are usually the last thing to wear out in a car, not the first.
I didn't go crazy, but I definitely had fun with it from day one.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
How do I store my Quad....?

I drive it all year round.....D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts