Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

Recently test drove the Giulia and I loved it, but I was worried there was no button and no (at least obvious) way to deactivate traction control or stability control/whatever Alfa calls them.
I wanted to get a RWD but in the snow you can't drive a RWD with traction control always on. You need to take it off often. Heck even my wife got stuck in snow with her 4matic C450 until she deactivated traction control. We're in Montreal so we do get a ton of snow, but I always managed with my RWD IS350.
If this feature is buried under menus I'd say that's barely acceptable because IMO a traction control button needs to be easily accessible at all times when driving in snowy areas.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You really want to drive a 500+ hp RWD close to a sports car with high performance summer tires in tons of snow?

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
As far as I know the 2.0T models do not have RACE mode, and don't have any obvious was to turn off the traction control either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't own the car, I'm just shopping and extremely interested in it. The salesman didn't know of any way to turn traction control off :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm also very interested in this topic. I've spent way too much time trying to figure out the answer to this question and from what I can tell there is no way to deactivate tcs/stability control on the base or Ti giulias. I'm interested in ordering a Ti with the performance package and I'm hoping that optioning the LSD includes more lenient traction/stability control settings. If not then I'm going to be waiting a long time for used QVs to start depreciating. That or cave and buy an old OG alfa.

I'm interested because I'm a regular autocrosser and really want to exploit what appears to be a fantastic car to drive. But I haz no monies for QV and need some big slidey alfa in my life.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Right now, it cannot be turned off in non-QV Giulia. But, may be possible in future.

I came across this interesting interview with Roberto Fedeli, CTO of Alfa (used Chrome to translate and quotes below is Google's)
http://www.automoto.it/news/alfa-st...er-166-e-giulietta-a-trazione-posteriore.html

ESP can be switched off? A difficult choice, but do not exclude (rule out) changes
"That you do not allow the total disarming of the stability control was a decision that literally divided the Alfa Romeo engineers, more or less in half. When I arrived the Giulia project was already at an advanced stage and the decision had already been taken by now. But there are still many, myself included, who think that you could revisit this choice. So in the future I would not rule out the possibility of having a ESP totally disabled. We'll see, although I remain convinced that first of all our Alfa should be safe. "

·
Registered
55 Posts
That certainly is reassuring, I hoped that that would be the case. I understand that not every giulia or giulia driver will want or need to disable these systems or need an LSD but I would greatly appreciate it if I could haha.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well that's a deal breaker for me at least. I have driven all kinds of cars in deep snow (and winter tires, mind you) and I know for a fact that traction control is a hinderance.
I don't understand why any car manufacturer would remove this button. Safety is not a reason.
I got stuck in snow twice in 3 years with my RWD and once with my AWD and each time I disabled traction control and off I went. If not I would have had to get towed.

It's a shame because I loved the Giulia.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Well that's a deal breaker for me at least. I have driven all kinds of cars in deep snow (and winter tires, mind you) and I know for a fact that traction control is a hinderance.
I don't understand why any car manufacturer would remove this button. Safety is not a reason.
I got stuck in snow twice in 3 years with my RWD and once with my AWD and each time I disabled traction control and off I went. If not I would have had to get towed.

It's a shame because I loved the Giulia.
Ok ... so why not just buy the Q4 and put really good snowtires on it? It won't be as bad, but I still understand your point ... getting stuck 2 times out of three years is a pretty good track record, frankly I'd take the chance if you actually did love the Giulia ... but maybe that's just me :smile2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got stuck with very good tires.
On my RWD IS350 I put Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, the best snow tire (maybe 2nd best very close to the Nokian).
On my wife's AWD C450 I put Blizzak LM-32's.

Winter tires are required by law in Quebec.

I wonder how many people purchase the car without knowing you can't disable TC... what a hard way to learn it when you're stuck in snow!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I believe the fully off mode is activated by locating the fuse box...;-)

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
55 Posts
My concern with the fuse solution is that the integrated braking system might not be too pleased about that. If it's been done successfully, then that's solution enough for me but until it's confirmed I would be hesitant. Apparently this UK shop has found a way to deactivate the TCS, I will follow up with them at some point. However, it sounds like you need to do a remap which would be hard to do in the US as you would need a dyno and a third party shop (or willing alfa dealer) with the right diagnostic equipment...or ship your car to the uk and back lol.

http://www.autolusso.co.uk/giulia.html

For any other car on the market, non-defeatable tcs and stability control are an immediate deal breaker for me. However, I've pined and waited for this car for far too long to walk away now.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
55 Posts
Actually, would anyone mind posting pictures of their fuse boxes? The manuals only list certain fuses, I would be curious to see what they look like in the real world and am not sure a dealership would be happy about me poking around in the passenger footwell or trunk.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It would be worth giving Autolusso a call. They may be able to run stock maps but with just the TCS flag disabled.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What's the extent of the stability control on throttle and trans? Does it change shift points? Some cars with it won't even start in low gear with it on. If I couldn't turn "mother" off in my Porsche, I'd never have bought it. Details like this are why I'm staying on the sidelines until the new model is fully shaken down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fair enough, again were it any other car I'd be in the same boat. Motor trend did a $399 lease special test and they noted that though the giulia (base, performance pack, no LSD) handled the best, but that on the figure 8 the stability control was quick to intervene during lift off and power on oversteer. They further noted that they never encountered this during spirited canyon runs but that it extremely hindered the performance during instrumented tests.

The Giulia won the comparison though. Article is posted below.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/alfa...jaguar-xe-lexus-is-200t-volvo-s60-comparison/

1 - 20 of 178 Posts