Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take the Giulia to go diving and need a safe place to secure my car key and wallet etc. Ideally I can open up the key fob and get out the metal key, lock the key fob inside the car or trunk, and lock the car. Then I'd use the little metal key to open the door when needed. The car is programmed to not let people lock their key inside the car, so the trunk doesn't close when the key fob is in it, and the external door locks won't lock when the key is in the car.

Does anyone know a work around for when you intentionlly want to lock the key fob inside the car?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why wouldn't you just use a lock box around the door handle for the key fob? Pretty much what every surfer out here in CA does. Most of the lock boxes have a plastic or rubber surround so it won't scratch the paint.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
829 Posts
Why wouldn't you just use a lock box around the door handle for the key fob? Pretty much what every surfer out here in CA does. Most of the lock boxes have a plastic or rubber surround so it won't scratch the paint.
How does the lock box secure to the vehicle? These keys are expensive... What would prohibit someone from just lifting the box off the vehicle and running off with it? It's actually a pretty clever idea... Just wondering how they ensure no one can cut the box off easily.... Or cut it off easily and then break into the box somewhere else with tools and boost the car that way.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
829 Posts
You would need some pretty heavy duty bolt cutters to do that.
Something like this:
View attachment 111651
Got ya. Just curious. I bet I could rip a door handle off with that (assuming that is the connection point), but then that does defeat the purpose a bit doesn't it.

I vote for this idea! Most secure will always be taking the key with you, but this seems like the most secure alternative. Personally I would (at the risk of looking stupid every time I went to retrieve it) probably try to attach this somewhere to the undercarriage (assuming a connection point exists).

·
Registered
51 Posts
I see it commonly hooked onto the rear underside of cars where the tie down hooks are from the cars being imported on ships. I'm not sure how accessible that hook is on the Giula but that would be the safest spot I think.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
In 1996, I locked the key inside the car in my 1996 Honda Accord LX while on way to the wedding. On way. Wedding was in Seattle. This is dropping bags at the curb checkin at Newark Liberty International Airport. I did get married next day in Seattle.

Sometimes you are not smart enough to read the signs ;) Kidding!

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,641 Posts
Buy this:
Faraday Bag for Phones(2 Pack&Large), RFID Blocking Bag Faraday Pouch Cage Case Key Fob Protector Signal Blocking Bag for Cell Phone Privacy Protection and Car Key FOB, RFID Card Protector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JWF1WT...abc_BVWSKGTVFBYJC3NMEDDH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Take out the metal key then leave fob inside the pouch and put that in the glove box. Lock the glove box and the car.

Problem solved.

I use the pouch for my garage door opener at home, and use this box for my key since I also put a few other things in their too
Todoxi Faraday Box Car Key Fob Protector RFID Box for Keys Large PU Leather RFID Signal Blocking Car Security Proection Box (Black) Amazon.com: Todoxi Faraday Box Car Key Fob Protector RFID Box for Keys Large PU Leather RFID Signal Blocking Car Security Proection Box (Black): Car Electronics

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,027 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
You would need some pretty heavy duty bolt cutters to do that.
Something like this:
View attachment 111651
I don't recommend this. There is a master code to open all lockboxes of that type and that code isn't exactly top secret. A semi-pro thief would probably know it by heart.

Reactions: Papa Gallo
1 - 13 of 13 Posts