Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
how bad is the optional navigation? Giulia TI

I use my car a ton for business....how bad is the navigation in the car? It's vital for me and I didn't want to buy a Garmin unit that would have looked stupid for such a nice car. Consequently, I ordered the optional factory nav.
Is the navigation easy to use? - inputting a local address, memory, etc.

I'm still waiting for the car I ordered to arrive....

When I test drove the car I barely tried it before ordering the car. (got too caught up in the performance, like a kid!)

·
Registered
226 Posts
The NAV is quite accurate - believe it's a Tom Tom unit... my biggest issues with it are entering destinations...data is entered either a scroll/wheel, so I find it takes me about 3x as long vs typing. Voice commands are available, however I have about 10% accuracy on this -weird because the voice commands work really well for calling up music. but rarely does the entire address string (house number, street, city) get accepted without error.

In summary, it's a 5-6 out of 10.... not enough to not get the car for me.. I'm hopeful that Apple car play will allow integration and then the issue is resolved. That's an open question on this forum as some have been told there will be a software update this summer for car play integration; others have been told '17 model year is SOL.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
I use my car a ton for business....how bad is the navigation in the car? It's vital for me and I didn't want to buy a Garmin unit that would have looked stupid for such a nice car. Consequently, I ordered the optional factory nav.

When I test drove the car I barely tried it before ordering the car. (got too caught up in the performance, like a kid!)
]

I got my car with the nav and its 50/50. I tried to save my home address in my favorites section and it does not find it!!! lmao

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts
The nav system lacks the traffic information my last car had, which I often found useful.
Yes, the data entry via scroll/wheel was awkward. Can't it also be done by voice recognition?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
When using my navigation, before leaving my home I need to input several address's at a time, so I can go from one address to another - in succession - throughout the day.

I take it the memory part of storing various destinations does not exist or function properly?

·
Registered
103 Posts

Tomtom is pretty good. I like it better than germin. I have used iPhone offline version in Europe and America no problem

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had no issue at all with voice command for navigation. Literally 100 percent accurate.
For me the voice navigation entry is a bit obtuse but works most of the time. You hit a button on the steering wheel, wait for a beep and then say "navigate to ....", the car then tells you that it cant navigate there, (I cant work out why), the car then asks you what town you want, you wait for the beep and say a name. The car then gives you a numbered list of potential hits and asks you to say which line number you want. You drill further down in the same way for street name and building number. It kind of works, in that when it does work it is far faster than using the jog wheel.

My biggest struggle for business use is the lack of ability to select routes. The car seems to love driving through central London on a week day, when going around the otbital m25 would be far more sensible.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
It works relatively well, although I still use WAZE APP because I like the traffic updates and automatic re-routes due to construction/traffic/accidents.

I would put it at 7/10 after trying to use the one in my Maserati GranTurismo (Sold). That was horrendous.

Giulia

VS

GranTurismo

·
Registered
576 Posts
I noticed for the first time yesterday that since the update, the NAV now shows the road speed limit in white and it you exceed it, the speed limit sign turns red. There are lots of little changes since the software update. Unlike other manufacturers, it appears that Alfa is committed to upgrading the infotainment user experience with new features along the way.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
I noticed for the first time yesterday that since the update, the NAV now shows the road speed limit in white and it you exceed it, the speed limit sign turns red. There are lots of little changes since the software update. Unlike other manufacturers, it appears that Alfa is committed to upgrading the infotainment user experience with new features along the way.
Does speed limit also show up in split-screen mode?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Mine had that from the begining (delivered in March) but had to enable it in menu

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
It works relatively well, although I still use WAZE APP because I like the traffic updates and automatic re-routes due to construction/traffic/accidents.

I would put it at 7/10 after trying to use the one in my Maserati GranTurismo (Sold). That was horrendous.

Giulia

VS

GranTurismo

I thought Eurocompulsion was in OK. That's Macomb County, MI. Not too far from Lakeside AR.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
I thought Eurocompulsion was in OK. That's Macomb County, MI. Not too far from Lakeside AR.
They are stock Images I found. Just to show the difference. EC is in OK & NY.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
They are stock Images I found. Just to show the difference. EC is in OK & NY.
Interesting/coincidental location choice. There are businesses in that area where I wouldn't be surprised to find QVs. Or it may just have been a demo drive from the dealership.

Reactions: [email protected]
1 - 20 of 21 Posts