Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know with these wheels being low profile (40 series tires) and run flats it could be potential for damage on crappy NJ roads. Are these wheels made well and strong? I don't want to risk bending or cracking them on a little bump. What about the 18's on the sport package? debating between a Ti Sport and a base Sport. I wish I could get non run flats from the start

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
There doesn't seem to be the level of wheel damage reporting that would suggest the Alfa 19"s are particularly prone to getting cracked or bent, but of course the right pothole can do in just about any wheel/tire combo.

Michigan roads are notoriously bad (and have taken out record numbers of tires and wheels this season), but I wanted the 19" wheels for the look, so my solution to mitigating risk was to buy a wheel protection plan. If the spend is do-able, that's the way to go, and honestly, probably for either the 18" or the 19".

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer standard tires over run-flats?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Out of curiosity, why do you prefer standard tires over run-flats?
Isn't it a generally held and accepted and proven opinion that NON RFTires provide better "feel" and performance compared to RFTs?

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Isn't it a generally held and accepted and proven opinion that NON RFTires provide better "feel" and performance compared to RFTs?
I don’t know...perhaps. I was asking the OP because they seemed to be linking the tire type to the wheel damage question, so I was wondering if run-flats were less likely to protect the wheel for some reason.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think that run flats have a stiffer sidewall so this would make them more prone to wheel failure as less give in the sidewall would transmit more of the impact of a pothole to the wheel...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t know...perhaps. I was asking the OP because they seemed to be linking the tire type to the wheel damage question, so I was wondering if run-flats were less likely to protect the wheel for some reason.
I saw posts on other car forums (Corvettes, C43 mercedes) where they were complaining about how run flats were harder on the wheel and some had wheel bends or cracks without hitting anything major. If you google Z06 cracked wheel you will get a huge number of these posts.

Also, doesn't the ride become more harsh with run flats and a shorter tire life?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I came across this in the warranty booklet:

B. What’s Covered
The Basic Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts
and labor needed to repair any item on your Giulia when
it left the manufacturing plant that is defective in
material, workmanship or factory preparation. There is
no list of covered parts since the only exception is tires.
You pay nothing for these repairs covered by the Basic
Limited Warranty. These warranty repairs or adjustments
— including all parts and labor connected with them —
will be made by your authorized Alfa Romeo repair
facility at no charge, using new or remanufactured parts.

I'm probably missing something but wouldn't that imply a defective wheel would be covered under regular warranty? I understand if I smash a pothole it wouldn't.

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/conten...17-Alfa_Romeo-Giulia-Generic_Warranty-2nd.pdf

·
Registered
94 Posts
I came across this in the warranty booklet:

B. What’s Covered
The Basic Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts
and labor needed to repair any item on your Giulia when
it left the manufacturing plant that is defective in
material, workmanship or factory preparation. There is
no list of covered parts since the only exception is tires.
You pay nothing for these repairs covered by the Basic
Limited Warranty. These warranty repairs or adjustments
— including all parts and labor connected with them —
will be made by your authorized Alfa Romeo repair
facility at no charge, using new or remanufactured parts.

I'm probably missing something but wouldn't that imply a defective wheel would be covered under regular warranty? I understand if I smash a pothole it wouldn't.

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/conten...17-Alfa_Romeo-Giulia-Generic_Warranty-2nd.pdf

Hitting a pot hole and damaging a wheel is not a defect in material and workmanship. Hitting a pot hole is a outside influence that caused the damage, not a warranty issue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hitting a pot hole and damaging a wheel is not a defect in material and workmanship. Hitting a pot hole is a outside influence that caused the damage, not a warranty issue.
Yes I was more worried about a little bump causing something. But I might be being paranoid. I just want a stress free experience lol, I have seen other cars with run flats have issues with minor rough roads not even a pothole

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes I was more worried about a little bump causing something. But I might be being paranoid. I just want a stress free experience lol, I have seen other cars with run flats have issues with minor rough roads not even a pothole

We have customers out there with 10,000 miles plus on there cars right now with no issues reported to date. Now I wish I could say that about our Maserati's that are out there on the road. We are in the DC area so we do have our share of pot holes and road damage to deal with.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"generally held and accepted"
opinions sure aren't facts.
here's my opinion based on having had run flats for ten years (yes, I was nervous as the car came with them, but gee, I was nervous about radials, and really nervous about tubeless).
If you retrofit them to something not designed with them, they probably are harsh.
other than that, I'd say anyone blaming damage on them is taking an event that would have happened anyway and wrongly assigning blame.
I won't argue lap times with anyone who has actually run a comparison of equal quality tires, but ....
other than that possibility, all these "generally held and accepted opinions" are, in my ten year experience, a bunch of bunk, and the "facts" aren't.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Where I am if a pothole damages a wheel, one can make a claim within a period (short) from the city.
I'm assuming you are in Switzerland? Do they even allow potholes there?

Theoretically, you can make a claim here in New York too. Several years ago I hit a major pothole and did a couple thousand dollars of damage to my Mercedes. I did everything they asked: documented all of the damage with photos and estimates. Even took a photo of the pothole and photos of the street signs for location.

Their eventual response: As this pothole has not previously been reported by any driver, we are not responsible for the damage to your vehicle.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I saw posts on other car forums (Corvettes, C43 mercedes) where they were complaining about how run flats were harder on the wheel and some had wheel bends or cracks without hitting anything major. If you google Z06 cracked wheel you will get a huge number of these posts.

Also, doesn't the ride become more harsh with run flats and a shorter tire life?
Ah, which is better? A softer sidewall, that might bottom out on the rim sooner allowing the bump/pothole to damage the wheel, or a stiffer sidewall, that transmits more energy per bump into the wheel and might fatigue it sooner? It depends ... don'cha know?

I'll say this, in the 9 or 10 months of ownership, I've hit two potholes (or were they bomb craters, county/city roads department??) that really sounded horrible and I got out to inspect the 19"-wheel as soon as safety allowed. Knock on wood, they've handled it very well -- the tires' sidewalls don't even show a "pinch mark" where the actual strike was.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had damage to both run flats and similar sized non r/f tires in pot holes. both cases the wheel was chipped and the tire destroyed on the sidewall. My opinion is the smaller wheel and larger tire has better luck surviving road damage.

In the case of the run flat I drove the car to the tire shop with a gaping hole in the sidewall. While in the other case I spent an hour digging out my spare, dodging the occasional passing car to get the tire changed.

The most negative experience with run flats in my opinion is that of a more pronounced tramline issue, with some cars over non r/f, and the general ride quality may feel more harsh.

Been lucky to not have had suspension damage yet.. I like my 19s and trust my run flats to get me home.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Where I am if a pothole damages a wheel, one can make a claim within a period (short) from the city.
I'm assuming you are in Switzerland? Do they even allow potholes there?

Theoretically, you can make a claim here in New York too. Several years ago I hit a major pothole and did a couple thousand dollars of damage to my Mercedes. I did everything they asked: documented all of the damage with photos and estimates. Even took a photo of the pothole and photos of the street signs for location.

Their eventual response: As this pothole has not previously been reported by any driver, we are not responsible for the damage to your vehicle.

Yeah. Havent seen any potholes since I moved here a year ago. Tons in Toronto where I moved from.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
Yeah. Havent seen any potholes since I moved here a year ago. Tons in Toronto where I moved from.
And many in Michigan look lustfully at Ontario's good roads.

Debating when to swap my 18s with snows for my 19s. Probably after Easter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just switching to a Giulia from a 4-series gran coupe. I had 20's with super low profiles and drove around the rough roads of Detroit for 2 years and they did alright. The 19s should be good.

And many in Michigan look lustfully at Ontario's good roads.

Debating when to swap my 18s with snows for my 19s. Probably after Easter.
Agreed. The roads in Detroit are almost 3rd world country bad.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
Agreed. The roads in Detroit are almost 3rd world country bad.
Plenty of nasty roads in Auburn Hills as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts