Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To skip (possibly boring) story mode, just jump to the 2nd paragraph.

Was a little surprised not to see anyone notice this. We took delivery Monday evening and I drove it home while my wife took the other car. It's a Ti (as I'm learning, just really wanted the active cruise control option. Wife's the final decision maker...) I noticed ride was somewhat bumpy. I always try to check tire pressures cold as instructions note, so I got up in the wee hours of the morning when it was dark and found three set at 40 PSI and the other at 40.5 PSI. (I thought this was reasonably good of the tech as I usually get varying pressures!) I set them to 32.5 PSI front and 35.5 PSI rear, as my digital Slime gauge increments in 0.5 PSI.

So I drive around and decided to check the pressures on the monitor, and to my surprise the front right is lower by 2 PSI from the front left! I thought this was possibly another cute Giulia electrical bug at first, but thought I better check again 3 days later with my gauge: 32.5 PSI both front, and 35.0 PSI both rear. Huh.... I remote start last night because it is (relatively) cold here, then go for about a 20 minute one way drive to pick up some take out. I immediately go to the tire pressure display and it reasonably notes 34 PSI front and 37 PSI rear. (I check in the wee hours in the morning when it was really cold as noted in the first paragraph.) About 15 minutes into my drive, (as there is significant traffic), I notice that the front left tire is at 36 PSI, while the front right (passenger) is still at 34 PSI. The rears stay at 37 PSI. It is a 4.2 mi one way trip per Google Maps.

So is there something hot in the engine bay that is heating up the front left tire? Is something wrong? Car drives great, and had 20 miles on the odometer on delivery, so I can't imagine a suspension/alignment/balance issue, although I didn't check the tire treads. (Car, Ti model, has less than 80 miles at this point).

Many thanks! And Happy Holidays!!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
TPMS on this car often shows one tire at a whack pressure, check 3 minutes later and it shows the right pressure, needs some distance to show correctly....BTW I pump all 4 tires with same pressure since I am in car almost always by myself (higher in back on TI Q4 with square setup is for 5 passengers and 2 pieces of luggage) and the car is very close to 50:50 balance front to back when only driver is in the car

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sunlight on one side of car will cause higher reads, but I also think it's the monitor read out that will correct itself after driving awhile.

Reactions: jzchen

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses! I think my post was too wordy to express what happened.

It is dark early here, so the sun was no longer up for a while. Sun usually affects the pressure on the sunny side, true.

But the pressures started even:

34 34
37 37

Then after a while:

36 34
37 37

Two PSI is a significant amount of heat. I checked and there is one more left than right turn in the route, but that is because of the left out of our driveway, dead even 3 lefts and 3 rights, although one left was a turn in the road Sunset to California. It was a relatively slow trip local streets only/no freeway to the area of Pasadena I was going...

I feel the system is pretty consistent in measuring pressure, (maybe not accurate, but then my $5.xx gauge might not be accurate as it notes accuracy at +- 2 PSI), but consistent, because I measured in the early morning with my digital gauge:

32.5 32.5
35.0 35.0

It was probably 36 F out when I used my gauge in the morning. It was maybe in the high 40s F when I drove it in the evening. (Should have noted the outside temp on the display but still getting used to/enjoying the car).

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TPMS on this car often shows one tire at a whack pressure, check 3 minutes later and it shows the right pressure, needs some distance to show correctly....BTW I pump all 4 tires with same pressure since I am in car almost always by myself (higher in back on TI Q4 with square setup is for 5 passengers and 2 pieces of luggage) and the car is very close to 50:50 balance front to back when only driver is in the car
Thank you for the pointer, that is completely true. (I may still use the recommended because we are a household of 5: parents, wife and I, and son, though...)

I had a Smart Fortwo for my lonely drives, but it was wrecked, and now thanks to insurance I have a Scion iQ. (This is primarily my wife's. We spent pretty much the whole day at the dealer, sans the time we went to pick up our son and a short orthodontist appointment, after which we went back. I think the guilt of going away empty handed at the expense of the two salespeople who ended up helping us kind of lead us to seal the deal. 27 months later and the lease will be up. Can't go too wrong with Motor Trend's Car of the Year.)

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the fact that you're sitting on that side of the car, so maybe that front tire is loading slightly more when cornering? It seems odd that it would make that kind of difference, but then as I'm slowly discovering, the Giulia is no ordinary car. The steering center actually changes as you go around corners to maintain wheel geometry. Maybe the road surface is rougher on those three right turn corners and causes more friction? It could also be that particular TPMS sensor is overly sensitive. Have you checked them with your gauge after the car screen shows that tire at 2 lbs higher pressure to verify that's accurate?

Welcome to the Alfa family!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome Eagle7!

I may have found something. That's the turbo right next to the strut tower!!!

I did not check I'm afraid as I had dinner with me. (Actually I did not think of checking with my gauge). Maybe I'll try next time I get to drive it. (Wishing I had an IR thermometer to check the temp of the tower).

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The TPMS is a joke. I've adjusted my tires, cold, with a bike pump and a pencil gauge. Got them all within 1/2 pound of what I want and gone for a long drive. I've done this multiple times, always with the same results. The on-board TPMS shows the tires as being five (5) pounds apart. It shows them as changing unevenly (this is probably realistic). They eventually steady out at a 5 pound difference, but not in the same order as they started. The TPMS only reads the pressure while driving, so, after adding air, you need to drive a few miles while it sorts itself out.

About the only thing the TPMS is good for is to let you know that you a tire is loosing air rapidly while driving.

Adjust the tires manually and ignore the TPMS. If need be, double check the tires manually. Always adjust the pressure while cold. Cold is when the car hasn't been driven for a few hours. If the TPMS is seriously out-of-whack, a trip the the dealer is in order.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
805 Posts
Methinks...

The TPMS is a joke. I've adjusted my tires, cold, with a bike pump and a pencil gauge. Got them all within 1/2 pound of what I want and gone for a long drive. I've done this multiple times, always with the same results. The on-board TPMS shows the tires as being five (5) pounds apart. It shows them as changing unevenly (this is probably realistic). They eventually steady out at a 5 pound difference, but not in the same order as they started. The TPMS only reads the pressure while driving, so, after adding air, you need to drive a few miles while it sorts itself out.

About the only thing the TPMS is good for is to let you know that you a tire is loosing air rapidly while driving.

Adjust the tires manually and ignore the TPMS. If need be, double check the tires manually. Always adjust the pressure while cold. Cold is when the car hasn't been driven for a few hours. If the TPMS is seriously out-of-whack, a trip the the dealer is in order.
RacerZ is right on.

Published specification for TPMS is accuracy is no better than three percent plus or minus. Using it for catastrophic differences and failures, is your best bet to retain sanity.

Sensitivity and warm-up times for tires also is extremely surprising. For instance, when my car at 40° has one side sitting in the sunlight and the other side sitting in the dark, I can see as much as a three PSI difference with no automotive activity at all. In addition, under spirited driving conditions the nature of my hard cornering will cause tires to warm up very quickly if they’re doing more sidewall flex or scrubbing harder.

don’t worry, be happy!

I thought my tire sensors were completely botched after I had summer tires upgraded on my existing rims. I came out and found zero psi on three of four corners and three PSI on my left rear. After I drove for a quarter-mile the sensors had all acclimated and were giving relatively accurate readings.

remembering that a wand gauge or a digital gauge will typically be quite reproducible, even though it may be absolutely inaccurate; and, will let you, if your technique is good, get very accurate relative readings on all four tires. The old ways are the good ways.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,930 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Eagle7!

I may have found something. That's the turbo right next to the strut tower!!!

I did not check I'm afraid as I had dinner with me. (Actually I did not think of checking with my gauge). Maybe I'll try next time I get to drive it. (Wishing I had an IR thermometer to check the temp of the tower).
2 PSI should correspond to about 25 degrees F. If that temperature difference is really there you should be able to tell by touch.
Using your gauge to verify that the pressure difference is real as suggested by RacerZ is the best first check though.

If a lot of heat was transferring through the shock tower I would think that AR would have put in a heat shield (a thin piece of polished aluminum will do). There is a lot of heat shielding on the underside of the car (between the floor and exhaust pipes) so it is not as-if they were unaware of such problems.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haven't been driving the car. Wife called two insurance companies and the rate is high for her. Will follow up when insurance is sorted out and can safely drive it again.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Haven't been driving the car. Wife called two insurance companies and the rate is high for her. Will follow up when insurance is sorted out and can safely drive it again.

Thanks for the advice!
I have always gotten good rates and service from State Farm, at least if everything is bundled and not too many accidents or tickets.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thank you! Right now the car has less than 80 miles. And since she was unhappy and said "if she'd known she wouldn't have gotten it", I remembered a site called lease trader, or something like that. I think she is just going to shop around....

Funny thing is, my wife and I have great records. My parents both have 1 at fault accidents. We live with them, plus the city/locale is known notoriously for bad Asian drivers. She's gotten great rates shopping around, but I have been sticking with AAA personally because they allow reciprocity in driving my parents' vehicles and mine.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it is illegal for an insurance company to charge Asians more. However, it is perfectly legal to charge people who drive in Arcadia more and to charge people who live with their parents more. It is also legal to charge younger people more.

I think Allstate also offers good rates if you have a perfectly clean record, but in my experience they are prone to refuse to issue insurance to anyone with less than a spotless record.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Geico gave us the best price. I've been with them for years now. Maybe every three years I price shop and nobody has ever been even close to Geico's rates.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Yeah, peeked at the insurance thread a little. That $2000/yr premium seems quite hefty! (I won't mention the insurance company, or should I?)...
Why not?

IIRC, the "base" rate on my vehicle insurance is about $2400/year, but then come discounts for multi-vehicle, safe driver, bundling with other insurance and probably some other stuff so that it comes out to something in the $800-900/year range. I don't have my Giulia yet, but I was told to expect it to be similar to my existing vehicle with full coverage plus the rate will go down on the vehicle that I switch from primary to secondary. IMO the biggest factors are bundling, where you live, and your driving record. Bundling is a big deal because they figure you cannot drive 2 cars at the same time. Thus, with 2 drivers and 3 cars (currently) the price is not a lot different than 2 drivers and 2 cars.

Anyone can drive my car under my insurance as long as they have my (or my wife's) permission to drive the vehicle. Generally that means that either I or my wife is in the vehicle, but a written note should do. Ask your insurance agent about this relative to your parent's vehicles or them driving your vehicles. I also get coverage for the first 30 days (I think) after purchasing a new vehicle but before I have purchased a policy for that vehicle.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good points lockem. The tricky part is what happens in the 30 days if there is an accident, especially since my wife said "I'll think about it" to the insurance company that currently covers her vehicles....

My wife is not used to these prices. I had a '12 E63 insured under my separate policy and it was a lot for me, so right now it is sitting patiently in the garage for better days.... We visited her friend who's husband just not too long ago purchased a Ferrari 488, he noted he got insurance through AAA for a little over $600 for about 8 months! City was Walnut.....

Life just (seems) unfair sometimes.....

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
For some reason I don't like to say negative things about someone/something/a company unless I'm mad at them for something I think I should warn others about....

But just in case you wanted to know it was Liberty Mutual. (Not mad at them at all, just don’t want to be stingy with information).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts