Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Long time Italian car owner (first car was an x-19, second car Alfa gtv6, third car Alfa Milano 3.0, yes with the clover) and hopefully a future qv owner.

I was so close to a 4c, but it just didn't work. So now the newly graduated kid has the 500, so I am carless.

My dilemma is do I go with the ti sport, with or without the sport suspension, or spend another 20 plus and go for the bomb.

My biggest concern is the ride, I live in the Chicago area, and the daily living with the car. (I previously owned the first Mini Cooper S convertible in hot orange and quickly tired of all the questions at the gas station.) Plus, the mini was a piece of you know and was always at the dealer getting this and that fixed.

I have not, nor ever will track the car, and so I don't want to "waste" the capabilities of the qv, but yet I don't want to only go half way, iykwim. I will take the car on long cross country rides and in the mountains going up long grades cars need a certain level of oomph, lest be stuck in the middle lane, faster than the trucks, but clearly not keeping up with the greater displacement ilk.

Thanks again. heading to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,477 Posts
Um, glad we could help.

I love the X1/9. It's always a treat to see one.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Enjoy the test drives. My guess is that you won't be able to walk away without one, weather it is a QV or Ti

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One last thing. A car I'm looking at has the ccb. Since I wont be tracking the car, is this still a good option, or not worth the expense.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Hmm, the Giulia Quad folks would be the one to answer as to the suitability of the car to your needs, but I'd have serious reservations about using it like that. Getting repair bits is expensive and often difficult.

It's true that with +500hp, you won't be lagging anywhere, and it sounds amazing. A regular Giulia, with 287hp, isn't a slouch, though, and should perform capably in the mountains. It's surprising how much torque it has for a 4cyl. I won't lie, though: I'd like to see +300hp variant come out, just for the easy grunt all across the RPM range (assuming it would have more cylinders).

And 20 large is, well, large. If you can throw it down on a whim, I guess why not throw it down? If throwing it down demands a second thought, you'd probably be happy with a properly spec'd Ti Sport.

Regarding the Adaptive Suspension, I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense for Chicago. If you know how it works, it basically stiffens the suspension in Dynamic mode to cope with poor road surfaces, and offers a center console button to soften it back up to Normal settings while leaving the other parameters (shift, throttle) in Dynamic. Besides the Normal suspension setup being acclaimed as very good to excellent, and class-leading, I can say that for our similar-to-Chicago quality roads, Normal with the 19" wheels feels pretty darn good for sporting driving. I don't have the Adaptive to compare directly, though. I did ride in a GQ briefly when my partner picked his up, and we played in Dynamic briefly; the Sparco seats let you feel it. It reminded me of the ride in my '12 Mitsubishi Evo X MR, a car I got rid of because the ride was fatiguingly harsh. Somewhere where the roads aren't cracked, potholed, and poorly patched...

But don't worry, because either way you'll have a fun and comfortable car to drive. The GQs do look way sicker, though. Q2 variants (i.e. RWD w/ performance package) are a little lower than Q4 (AWD), so if you want the best handling, that's probably the way to go. I've driven a RWD car in the snow on all-season rubber, and it's really pretty good at maintaining traction, to the extent that although I've driven AWD exclusively for more than 20 years now (Audis, Volvos, Subaru, Mitsu, Ford), I would have forgone it had the Giulia I wanted had everything but. As it turned out, I got more of what I wanted in a Q4, but it was close. I did notice that besides the 1" lower ride height of RWD cars, the rear track is smidge wider too, enhancing the look, IMO.

Good luck!

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
One last thing. A car I'm looking at has the ccb. Since I wont be tracking the car, is this still a good option, or not worth the expense.
My understanding is that carbon rotors don't brake as well as steel unless they get hot, and then they get better, but getting that hot off the track is hard, so generally, carbon is considered inferior for road-going car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, the Giulia Quad folks would be the one to answer as to the suitability of the car to your needs, but I'd have serious reservations about using it like that. Getting repair bits is expensive and often difficult.

It's true that with +500hp, you won't be lagging anywhere, and it sounds amazing. A regular Giulia, with 287hp, isn't a slouch, though, and should perform capably in the mountains. It's surprising how much torque it has for a 4cyl. I won't lie, though: I'd like to see +300hp variant come out, just for the easy grunt all across the RPM range (assuming it would have more cylinders).

And 20 large is, well, large. If you can throw it down on a whim, I guess why not throw it down? If throwing it down demands a second thought, you'd probably be happy with a properly spec'd Ti Sport.

Regarding the Adaptive Suspension, I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense for Chicago. If you know how it works, it basically stiffens the suspension in Dynamic mode to cope with poor road surfaces, and offers a center console button to soften it back up to Normal settings while leaving the other parameters (shift, throttle) in Dynamic. Besides the Normal suspension setup being acclaimed as very good to excellent, and class-leading, I can say that for our similar-to-Chicago quality roads, Normal with the 19" wheels feels pretty darn good for sporting driving. I don't have the Adaptive to compare directly, though. I did ride in a GQ briefly when my partner picked his up, and we played in Dynamic briefly; the Sparco seats let you feel it. It reminded me of the ride in my '12 Mitsubishi Evo X MR, a car I got rid of because the ride was fatiguingly harsh. Somewhere where the roads aren't cracked, potholed, and poorly patched...

But don't worry, because either way you'll have a fun and comfortable car to drive. The GQs do look way sicker, though. Q2 variants (i.e. RWD w/ performance package) are a little lower than Q4 (AWD), so if you want the best handling, that's probably the way to go. I've driven a RWD car in the snow on all-season rubber, and it's really pretty good at maintaining traction, to the extent that although I've driven AWD exclusively for more than 20 years now (Audis, Volvos, Subaru, Mitsu, Ford), I would have forgone it had the Giulia I wanted had everything but. As it turned out, I got more of what I wanted in a Q4, but it was close. I did notice that besides the 1" lower ride height of RWD cars, the rear track is smidge wider too, enhancing the look, IMO.

Good luck!
Thanks. That's just the info I was looking for. My only other option would be an A4 with the prestige package, which is hard to find in a color other than black or silver so I would have to order one. (Wife hates black and silver cars)

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Thanks. That's just the info I was looking for. My only other option would be an A4 with the prestige package, which is hard to find in a color other than black or silver so I would have to order one. (Wife hates black and silver cars)
You bet, and happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The Ti Q4 Sport is a great car and has more than adequate power. i love mine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just picked up my QV last Saturday, I am in the Chicagoland area as well. I test drove the TI Sport and the QV. Both great cars. The QV could be comfortable as a daily driver but the TI would be better if that's whats most important. Even the standard brakes in the QV are a bit touchy in stop and go traffic and the transmission is much more aggressive in shifts/downshifts. What Alfa dealer are you working with?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just picked up my QV last Saturday, I am in the Chicagoland area as well. I test drove the TI Sport and the QV. Both great cars. The QV could be comfortable as a daily driver but the TI would be better if that's whats most important. Even the standard brakes in the QV are a bit touchy in stop and go traffic and the transmission is much more aggressive in shifts/downshifts. What Alfa dealer are you working with?
Naperville. They have been decent in the past regarding service of my Fiat. They have a lot of ti sports inbound. Not sure what the delivery schedule is like. I also would want to swap out the dark wheels for the bright 5 hole. If they can't or wont do it, I saw a grey and a blue QV in Kansas City that would work. My wife and I will hit the auto show coming up. This will give us a good chance to check all of the cars out without the hassle of going to dealerships.

From what I have been reading, all the magazines like the ride and balance of the car. Plus a good rating from IIHS on the headlights. The c class and the ATS/CTS got a poor rating.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Food for thoughts. The extra $20K is not wasted. Besides the incredible amount of extra fun and prestige that it will bring along, it will be almost entirely recovered when you trade in or sell the car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Food for thoughts. The extra $20K is not wasted. Besides the incredible amount of extra fun and prestige that it will bring along, it will be almost entirely recovered when you trade in or sell the car.
I definitely agree, considering all of the technological aspects of the car, including the carbon fiber roof and hood. And I will be keeping this car for a long, long time. I retired early so I wont be putting stupid commuting miles on it.

It's been cold here the last few days, with snow predicted for the weekend, so it may be some time before I get the opportunity to test drive and purchase a car. Looking online it does seem that Evanston has a nice supply and variety of colors and options.

Thanks again for all of the advise.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
re a test drive, if the QV has the Pirelli corsa tires and it's cold, be careful.

re the CCB, totally unnnecesary overkill, with guesstimates that for a daily driver they would last not quite forever, look great, and prone to expensive damage through hazards or tire changing bumps.

search both on the forum

aside from the bucks, some reasons one may want the 4 cylinder would be:

- snow and hazard ground clearance, the CF chin spoiler is a pricey snowplow if it hits anything
- AWD if you want it
- lusso interior choices
- folding back seats

the big reason not to get the 4 cyl is lack of a race mode, not important to some, but a guy who had a milano verde may find that to be an issue

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
10 4 on the cold tires. I always run snow tires in the winter and summer tires in, well, the summer. Most people don't realize what they are missing.

If I were using the car to commute every day I wouldn't even consider the QV. But I can be picky when and where I drive. However I will still consider the Ti sport. I really like the better seats, and I'm not a fan of the wheels on the Lusso. Just my opinion.

My wife and I will still have a Honda Pilot so utility is not a big deal. I was, after all, considering a 4C.

The Milano had its issues, but back in the day when you got on the thing, there was nothing like it. I'm glad I got the opportunity. YOLO

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I tried out the new A4 with the prestige package and it was VERY nice inside. It lacked a bit of soul for me to drive but seriously nice inside. I liked it so much I would have had it over the S4 which at the time didn't have the same inside setup.

My two cents on what you should do, other than the proverbial test drives would be either:

1. If you consider yourself a 'petrol head' despite the lack of track and you have the money without a stretch - go QV, but I wouldn't bother with CCB as that's an expensive option for daily driving

OR

2. If you want a fantastic car which will not disappoint you on performance, go TI and enjoy the $20k+ in your pocket

I have the Q4 and LOVE it (and track it) but although I will keep the Q4, I will be going for an additional faster car in a few years (maybe a QV) for track / general thrashing

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. There is a QV I could jump on, with the ccb, but it's in black, not bad, but probably not my first choice. Good info on the A4. A coworker had an S4, but was disappointed with the weight over the front. And the Audi just doesn't have that "wow I love the car" vibe.

As for the track, there is a nice track southwest of Chicago. I was actually going to buy an auto garage/condo. Alas, trucking and shipping warehouses have taken over the area so it just doesn't have the feel of a Watkins Glen or Road America.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts