Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been having a multitude of issues with my 2017 Ti Q4 which bums me out, of course I am just out of warranty.

My car developed a p0299 code so I went to take a look at the wastegate today and I noticed that the firewall and hood insulation have significant wear for some reason. Even the plastic engine cover seems like it has some marks on it.

I am wondering what you think may have caused it. This damage was not there about 3 months ago when I had the high flow cat installed. Since having the high flow cat installed I flashed the EC Phase 2 tune, other than that there have been no changes. I did have the high flow cat ceramic coated prior to install and I titanium wrapped the first couple feet of the exhaust, hopefully this isn't generating too much heat under the hood.

I started paying close attention to engine temps and intercooler temps, they seem mostly normal. One thing I noticed is that the pre/post intercooler temps seem pretty close, especially when idling at a stop. I am not sure if this would have any impact on this. It does not sound like an exhaust leak and boost/ idle stays pretty consistent when idling.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive design

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Hood Luggage and bags Motor vehicle Trunk

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive design

Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Automotive design Vehicle door

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
Hey all,

I have been having a multitude of issues with my 2017 Ti Q4 which bums me out, of course I am just out of warranty.

My car developed a p0299 code so I went to take a look at the wastegate today and I noticed that the firewall and hood insulation have significant wear for some reason. Even the plastic engine cover seems like it has some marks on it.

I am wondering what you think may have caused it. This damage was not there about 3 months ago when I had the high flow cat installed. Since having the high flow cat installed I flashed the EC Phase 2 tune, other than that there have been no changes. I did have the high flow cat ceramic coated prior to install and I titanium wrapped the first couple feet of the exhaust, hopefully this isn't generating too much heat under the hood.

I started paying close attention to engine temps and intercooler temps, they seem mostly normal. One thing I noticed is that the pre/post intercooler temps seem pretty close, especially when idling at a stop. I am not sure if this would have any impact on this. It does not sound like an exhaust leak and boost/ idle stays pretty consistent when idling.

View attachment 132946
View attachment 132949
View attachment 132950
View attachment 132947
View attachment 132951
View attachment 132948
This is a known issue. I don't remember what causes it, but it happens. I preemptively used some Tessa tape to completely wrap that bulkhead piece so it wouldn't split apart. I'm assuming it's due to the excessive heat of the turbo degrading the structural integrity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a known issue. I don't remember what causes it, but it happens. I preemptively used some Tessa tape to completely wrap that bulkhead piece so it wouldn't split apart. I'm assuming it's due to the excessive heat of the turbo degrading the structural integrity.
Awesome, thank you! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an indication of something else. That is good advice with the tape, I will have to look into replacing it and protecting it with tape!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,088 Posts
I presume that you used Tesa Tape. However, Tesa Tape is a brand and not a specific type of tape, so can you provide more information and/or pictures of what you installed?

I've never had a vehicle in which the engine compartment insulation withstood the test of time, so I just shrugged and told myself that foam breaking up is unavoidable. It sure is unsightly and any good fix suggestions are highly appreciated.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
I presume that you used Tesa Tape. However, Tesa Tape is a brand and not a specific type of tape, so can you provide more information and/or pictures of what you installed?

I've never had a vehicle in which the engine compartment insulation withstood the test of time, so I just shrugged and told myself that foam breaking up is unavoidable. It sure is unsightly and any good fix suggestions are highly appreciated.
Tesa's Most Advanced High Heat Harness Tape 51036 Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Yeah, in my experience, Tesa tape refers to the hi temp wiring loom tape. I covered this before it had completely separated, so it may stay together better for me.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Reactions: Alfa Alfalfa

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've had the shroud replaced 3 times and gave up. I use gorilla tape and it holds pretty good.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Sport ‘Nero’ | V2 Intake
15 Posts
I never noticed it before but I just took a look under the hood and see the same damage in the firewall….looks like I’ll grab some of that tape. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
Any idea if a better turbo blanket can reduce or eliminate the issue?
Potentially, but I tihnk part of the problem is that it is pressed into the hood a bit. So after repeated heat cycles, vibration, and all that comes with being in an engine bay, it gets spread apart. There's no edge seal on that material. Get some Tesa engine loom tape and seal it up. I used 4 strips to cover it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts