Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Does anyone else spend an hour cleaning their wheels and calipers, to only have them covered in brake dust after 10 minuets of driving with normal braking conditions?

2) Would another type of brake pad eliminate this?

3) Does anyone have an idea of how to clean the calipers without having to move the car 6 inches to get the section that was behind the wheel?

Non CCM brakes with red calipers on a Trofeo White Quadrifoglio.

Thank you for your input!

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Same issue with lots of brake dust with the steelie brakes.

I have a dedicated California car-duster for the wheels only to keep them nice.

Would be nice to find out if there are any brake substitutes available. Would be hard to believe that the Alfa Romeo calipers are specific and new to this car. I would think another manufacturer would already have used this style pad.

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think this is pretty typical with performance cars. It happens with my other car as well. That's why I only get the dark wheels.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The best thing I've done is wax the wheels whenever possible as it makes the removal of the dust a bit easier. I don't have the patience to clean the inside of the wheel so I just do my best to get the face of it clean. I believe Hawk HPS street pads are a little less dusty from what I've read on forums so I may try those.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wheel wax helps. At least it makes a quick spray from the hose more effective.

Pad changes can be a trade off. Some are less dusty, but they can sometimes also be more harsh on rotors. Or they could be louder. Or they could be more or less effective when cold, etc. It would be interesting to see people experiment with different pads and post results here.

This is the real reason some of us opted for CCM. (I'm kidding!)

BTW, carbon ceramic friendly pads also produce dust, but most don't do that in street driving. On the track, though, you will get dust from those pads, too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I wash my cars with dusty pads and big brakes, I do have to roll the car back a little to get behind the caliper. You're not the only one!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeeeeep

1) Does anyone else spend an hour cleaning their wheels and calipers, to only have them covered in brake dust after 10 minuets of driving with normal braking conditions?

2) Would another type of brake pad eliminate this?

3) Does anyone have an idea of how to clean the calipers without having to move the car 6 inches to get the section that was behind the wheel?

Non CCM brakes with red calipers on a Trofeo White Quadrifoglio.

Thank you for your input!
With the steel brakes that is totally normal. I have had several sedans with steel Brembos and they all do it for the most part. The system on my RS4 is a lot like the Giulia and ill tell you, the struggle is real.

Dont mess around with aftermarket pad/rotor combinations. I am fairly well versed on the subject and it never works out to be worth the list of possible and probable downsides that come along with it. Brembo knows how to pair pads and rotors, maybe better than anyone in the world. If it was me, I wouldn't mess with the formula. The need to get the feel and drivability of a luxury sedan and the braking quality of a sports car is why they pick the combination they do. A little elbow grease a little more often is a pretty small drawback.

:grin2:

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,380 Posts
My Ti's dark 5-hole wheels hide brake dust well.

Reactions: Alfa in Vegas

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Great thread. I am pretty certain that dark wheels became popular for this reason. They may have even come from racing where teams were fed up with the dust build up and started painting wheels black. I remember the old Dyson Mazda Lola B12/60 from 2011, and other cars. Black wheels were already standard by then.

I just washed the Miata again after getting another caliper touched up, lubed control arms, spindles and end links. My wrist is sore and knuckles too. I put cheap Duralast pads on when I added my DBA drilled and slotted rotors a few years back. They are dusty with a reddish brown dust but not as bad as the Ferraris.

Both Ferraris had brembos and the steel pads were noisy and dusty. Black dust in a short time. I have worn out my wheel brush-sponge working on the multispoke designs of the OZs. The ASAs on the Miata are just as bad, even harder with smaller openings. I can squeeze the microfiber brush sponge between the caliper and wheel barrel but only just barely. In fact the bendable metal insert and handle has come loose so I have to grip the end of the sponge with my thumb to scrub back and forth. I have tried wheel cleaners and wheel treatments. The armorall stuff just clogs the aerosol can way too easily. Fussing with the inverted spray out, wasting product was just a PITA for me. Even then you had to do the mechanical back and forth with the mircobrush to really get the dust off.

So on the 348, the guys online agreed that Posiquiet ceramic pads for low dust and noise were a good replacement. I added them and they were great. I also added antisqueal paste so that may have been all that was needed for the noise. Still they were lower dust and much more enjoyable to drive and maintain. Porsche 911 size pads fit since they were the same Brembo set, no Ferrari markup. Now you do loose a little braking force but it is not really noticeable on the street. On track you would probably be using a different pad.

All this begs the question, "Should I get the bright wheels like I am thinking or go with the trendy black look that most of the Quads have been built with?" My feeling is, go with bright wheels, yellow calipers and just keep cleaning them. That's the color contrast and Ferrari look I want. It will also be relatively unique. I have seen old Alfa P cars with both black and silver wheels! ;)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I opted for the dark wheels and am interested to see whether the ceramic paint coating that I had applied makes them easier to clean.
But I'm also very interested to see whether someone comes up with a lower dust option, I think I would be prepared to give up some brake bite for lower dust. But my brakes are still bedding in so I think I just need to give it some time. Interested in the points of view.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Well now's a good time to switch if they are still bedding. You will need to do it again anyway on new pads. Also, use brake cleaner on the rotors when you switch pads. Maybe even a scotch bright if you suspect any build up. If we can find the Brembo part number, we can find other pad options.

Good idea on the ceramic coating. That's relatively new tech and probably better static wise than just wax and the silly silicon stuff. It's just the same plastic treatment with a whitish color and builds up the same. Probably dries out too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are you guys complaining about brake dust in the Giulia?

My observation has been entirely the opposite! Almost no dust compared to my 911, a VW Jetta GLI and my wife's Toyota. The 911 wheels get dirty after a few miles.
When I wash the Giulia, the wheels and rotors are always absolutely clean. They always look like the day I drove it from the dealer lot. In fact I have found the lack of brake dust in the Giulia so remarkable, that I stopped by the dealer and asked him what was so special about this new Alfa's pads. Of course he did not know. Said something like "new pad technology".

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
There are organic (non metallic) pads that produce close to no brake dust that so agressivelly builds up everywhere....I am sure they are probably less capable or harder on discs though.....my previous A6 and S6 had dirty wheels within minutes after wash while the latest S4 had new organic pads and wheels basically just needed slight cloth cleaning once a week

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you guys complaining about brake dust in the Giulia?

My observation has been entirely the opposite! Almost no dust compared to my 911, a VW Jetta GLI and my wife's Toyota. The 911 wheels get dirty after a few miles.
When I wash the Giulia, the wheels and rotors are always absolutely clean. They always look like the day I drove it from the dealer lot. In fact I have found the lack of brake dust in the Giulia so remarkable, that I stopped by the dealer and asked him what was so special about this new Alfa's pads. Of course he did not know. Said something like "new pad technology".
Do you have the Quadrifoglio with the brembo brakes? If you do and you don't have any brake dust at all, i think they forgot to put your brake pads in...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ceramic Brakes

Haven't noticed much dust with the Ceramic brakes...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
With ceramics it's the rotors not the pads that you worry about. Don't crack one. But for the Ti's and such, maybe they are new pads. LIke I was saying, PosiQuiets are good compared to older metallics. Are your wheels dark gray/black?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Dark wheels

My wheels are dark grey/black...but i keep them spotless....I think the ceramic rotors create less dust from the pads....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine are dark 5 holes also. With the non CCM's, I'll just have to get used to the dust. Just need to find an easier way to clean them.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
We have always used Hawk Replacement pads on the Abarth, the Alfa 4C and will soon throw them on the Giulia QV. I generally go with the Street Based HPS pads. The brake dust is a bit lighter than the factory Brembo pads and there is generally no braking sacrifices over the factory Brembo pads. Great initial bite, minimal fade if any and they are gentle on the rotors. The HP+ are a good pad for track events but will dust.

We also have the Ceramic pads which are a good pad for the street with significantly less dust.

Hawk HPS: High friction/ torque hot or cold, Gentle on rotors, Provides consistent and controllable torque through temperature ranges compared to stock pads, Virtually noise free

Hawk Ceramic: High friction/ torque hot or cold, Gentle on rotors, Low dust output, Virtually noise free

Hawk HP+: Track Use, High Initial Bite, Extreme High Friction Material

1 - 20 of 34 Posts