Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not crazy about the HK speakers. Has anyone swapped out speakers? What did you go to and how much did that run you?

I am thinking about JL C5’s.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Not crazy about the HK speakers. Has anyone swapped out speakers? What did you go to and how much did that run you?

I am thinking about JL C5’s.
I doubt other speakers will make much difference.....
However, whatever you do, make sure you get the same impedance. The HK system/CAN checks the speaker impedance installed, if it's off by too much you will get a continuous error light on the dash.
I think the standard HK speakers are 8 Ohms (so not 4 ohms which is mostly standard for car systems, or 2 Ohms)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
There are several threads on this topic.
Apparently, if you don't do it correctly, you get a fault icon on the IP.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. Thanks for the info. Will look into it more. It seems like it may not be worth the hassle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Outa curiosity whats your main issue with them?

For me it's one of the best (optional) car audio systems i have listened to

Reactions: jwq2

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Outa curiosity whats your main issue with them?

For me it's one of the best (optional) car audio systems i have listened to
I just don’t find the sound to be very rich. It sounds cheap. Just my opinion. I also have a Lexus with non upgraded factory speakers. They sound better than the HK speakers.

After this thread and reading other issues with changing out speakers I am just going to leave them alone. It isn’t worth the possible problems that can come up from what I see. I didn’t buy the car for the speakers so I will deal with it. Doesn’t take away from the experience of driving it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fair point, things like this can get very opinionated generally speaking.

I do find however that the sound system is much better when playing through bluetooth or usb. The normal or DAB radio sounds sooo much quieter in comparison.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found an old post about someone changing some settings for a better sound that I will try.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently stopped into a custom car audio store and their advice was this:

Before messing with speakers, install a new amp that is intended to replace the OEM unit but still integrate with the stock head unit, (their recommendation was an Audison AP8.9) so that you can tune each speaker individually. According to them, this allows you to adjust the frequencies emanating from each speaker to maximize it's potential and get rid of the excess 'boominess' that you hear, along with cleaning up the mids and highs.

Then, if that is not enough, you can go further and upgrade speakers. But their recommendation is to do this first, and see if you like the results. In most cases, they claim that the user is satisfied, and has only spent $2k or so.

It is rare that you find high-end shops suggesting that you spend less money, so they might be actually on to something there. I may do this in the near future.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,735 Posts
I don't have the HK, but I found this surprising with the standard system: the base and treble were turned up to max as delivered. This is effectively the same as turning down the midrange. I can understand turning up the base, as the base-system speakers are not big enough to do much at the lower end of the spectrum. Also the sound seemed biased towards the front of the car, so adjusting the "fader" helped the sound quality a bit.

Anyway, I suggest that you check and fiddle with the settings of the system before doing anything else.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,735 Posts
Some other points:

I see no evidence that AM HD reception is implemented.
The radio receiver is weak compared to OEM Protege, the replacement radio I installed in Protege, Dodge RAM, or Crosstrek. This may be made worse by Giulia's radio shutting off the audio rather than playing a static-y signal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts