Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, unfortunately, paid for the upgraded sound system in my car. I decided I wanted to change out the front set of speakers to voce audison speakers. I paid for the speakers and to have them installed and then come to find out the care throws an error of a yellow flashing speaker if you change out the factory speakers. So I had to pay the guy to re-install the factory HK speakers. Then I contact Alfa and all they can say we recommend you don't modify the car. I was never told when I bought the car that I could not change the speakers if I wanted to. Every car I have ever owned allowed you change the speakers. Not only that when they took the HK speakers out of the car and compared to the Voce ones, the HK ones are super cheap and where not worth anywhere near the amount you pay for the upgraded speakers. :mad:

·
Registered
402 Posts
not surprised, either that they can't be replaced, or that the "upgraded" speakers are not really an upgrade. I have them. Not much different than stock speakers I have had on every other car, or the stock ones in the loaners I've had.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Could be that the replacement speakers had the wrong impedance..... With the Alfa Bose systems, the speakers used were 2 Ohms, whilst most car speakers are 4 Ohms.
Don't know about the HK, but could be something similar, with the added "problem" that the HK is connected to the CAN bus, and monitors everything.
I think I read elsewhere that the HK speakers are 8 Ohm, similar to (most) home systems

·
Registered
869 Posts
Could be that the replacement speakers had the wrong impedance...
Or, they could be 8ohm wired in parallel with the tweeters (which is common) and this drops the resistance. There are others on here that have changed the speakers successfully.

See if MacGeek has any insight.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the only ones that have successfully changed the speakers replaced the amps and added a DTS to make it work.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Yeap, an experienced aftermarket stereo installation shop will have the appropriate resistors to trick the infotainment into thinking that the speakers are still there.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
...Not only that when they took the HK speakers out of the car and compared to the Voce ones, the HK ones are super cheap and where not worth anywhere near the amount you pay for the upgraded speakers. :mad:
Right, and a buddy from the Ferrari club who knows Marchionne said they lose money on every Quad they make. BS! ;)

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,158 Posts
I, unfortunately, paid for the upgraded sound system in my car. I decided I wanted to change out the front set of speakers to voce audison speakers. I paid for the speakers and to have them installed and then come to find out the care throws an error of a yellow flashing speaker if you change out the factory speakers. So I had to pay the guy to re-install the factory HK speakers. Then I contact Alfa and all they can say we recommend you don't modify the car. I was never told when I bought the car that I could not change the speakers if I wanted to. Every car I have ever owned allowed you change the speakers. Not only that when they took the HK speakers out of the car and compared to the Voce ones, the HK ones are super cheap and where not worth anywhere near the amount you pay for the upgraded speakers. :mad:
Is there just 2 wires going to the speakers? Do the speakers have DC blocking capacitors?
Using a too low impedance speaker can damage an amplifier, so it would not be surprising if the amplifier has some sort of check.

Most car speakers are 4 ohm, but some are 2 ohm while many "better" speakers are 8 ohm.

It is difficult to judge a speaker's quality simply by looking at it. Neo magnets are small and light compared to similar performance ceramic magnets, for example. Paper cones perform well until a little water gets splashed on it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The impedance rating of auto and home speakers is simply an estimate and varies sometimes greatly depending on the frequency. The impedance rating is not set in gold and some 8ohm speakers for example will behave more like a 6 or 4 ohm speakers over much of the frequency response range. Many of the speaker ohm ratings are not in fact very accurate. In general, the lower the impedance in the critical FR range the heftier an amp one needs. You can always tell an audio newbie by one who asks the question, how many ohm and/or how many watts are your speakers. Basically useless information without a lot more facts. Auto sound systems are a little different in some ways than home systems but still the same principles.

This article can explain it quickly better than I can.

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-stop-worrying-about-speaker-impedance/

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
The impedance rating of auto and home speakers is simply an estimate and varies sometimes greatly depending on the frequency. The impedance rating is not set in gold and some 8ohm speakers for example will behave more like a 6 or 4 ohm speakers over much of the frequency response range. Many of the speaker ohm ratings are not in fact very accurate. In general, the lower the impedance in the critical FR range the heftier an amp one needs. You can always tell an audio newbie by one who asks the question, how many ohm and/or how many watts are your speakers. Basically useless information without a lot more facts. Auto sound systems are a little different in some ways than home systems but still the same principles.

This article can explain it quickly better than I can.

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-stop-worrying-about-speaker-impedance/
My ipod auto shuts off when it is connected to a low impedance head phone, even when it is at a low volume setting.

Some amplifiers use feedback to control output impedance. This greatly increases amplifier efficiency, reducing the heat load on the amplifier circuits (an important consideration in a car amplifier that has very poor cooling), but it can go really wrong if the driven device has the wrong impedance.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeap, an experienced aftermarket stereo installation shop will have the appropriate resistors to trick the infotainment into thinking that the speakers are still there.
Yes and power will be wasted in the resister.

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
Yes and power will be wasted in the resister.
You can use a 10 pound impedance matching transformer instead.

In the case of using an 8 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm driver, good 8 ohm speakers are more than twice as efficient as typical 4 ohm speakers (this is from the specs even after correcting for the odd way that speaker efficiency is measured), compensating for the loss caused by a matching resistor. This might not work at well with 4 ohm speakers and an 8 ohm driver.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Has anyone used the Radson Earstudio es100 as a preamp through the AUX connector? I wonder if that (or a similar plugin amp) would help the HK sound without changing the stock speakers or amp. Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
@TheSach

As others have said here before. See if the resistance of the replacement speaker is less than what the HK system expects on that line. Plus, I think you need to go yell at your installer for being a moron. Any 1/4th decent installer should know this shit.

Using a higher impedance 8ohms speaker on a 4ohm rated circuit will not be harmful, but the other way around, the amplifier section has to pump more current/amperage into the line and that's why going with a lower numerical resistance speaker is a no-no. Most modern systems are smart enough to just trip the specific circuit that may be drawing more current than it should. The newer, more digital, more smarter systems may not only be tripping the circuit, but also alerting you that you F'd up. That's all. Or in some cases, the system may be half-assed smart, where it yells at you for F'ing up, but not actually trip the circuit and mess your life up more.

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of HK. I've been anti-Bose, anti-HK forever. Hated every HK system in every BMW I ever had. They sound too tinny for my ears. Bought one HK home system and returned it in one day to go back to brand mentioned below.

For my limited resources, Denon FTW. I wonder if they make car systems.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
If you treat car stereos as a multi-layered cake, or onion, it really helps to peel each layer one at a time to get relatively better sound and a decent return on investment. From that point of view, one of the first things to look to replace is sound deadening material in the space around speakers, followed by the speakers themselves. Putting in-line additional amps etc. may come further down the line.

My 2.2 cents.

Has anyone used the Radson Earstudio es100 as a preamp through the AUX connector? I wonder if that (or a similar plugin amp) would help the HK sound without changing the stock speakers or amp. Anyone know?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts