Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does someone of you noticed there is a small bug in the management of these two things ?

Legend :
HH = Hill Holder
SS = Start/Stop

When reaching a traffic light in a "hill" I brake to stop the car :smile2:
When the car immobilizes, the SS stops the engine :smile2:
Traffic light goes green, I release the brake, and :surprise: :

Engine restarts, but HH releases the brakes immediately, 1 second before the whole thing (engine + gearbox) starts to send power to the wheels, so that the car goes backwards that 1 second ; this can make 5 to 15 centimeters !!!

As a workaround I shut down the SS function (that I have to shut down again and agin each time I start the car, as there is no selection memory, nor there will be )

·
Registered
372 Posts
I thought the HH was automatic once the vehicle detects a certain percentage? I have not yet felt the use of HH.

I do miss the ability to "hold" - on our other car I can press the brake to hold, and take my foot completely off (or at least keep it hovering just over the brake w/out the pressure) and the car will remain w/brakes "on" and just move forward once I press on the accelerator.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the HH was automatic once the vehicle detects a certain percentage? I have not yet felt the use of HH.

I do miss the ability to "hold" - on our other car I can press the brake to hold, and take my foot completely off (or at least keep it hovering just over the brake w/out the pressure) and the car will remain w/brakes "on" and just move forward once I press on the accelerator.
It is automatic.

My purpose is about a Giulia with automatic gearbox and Hill-Holder + Start/Stop functions.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Another aggravating issue with the start/stop - on a hot day, when the engine stops, the AC continues to blow but it does not stay cold. It just blows air until the car starts again.
I've read that the SS is not supposed to engage when the car senses that it needs to keep the AC running. But it does every time.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mine works. In the parking garage at work if cars back up and I stop on the incline I'm definitely held there. I do have the auto parking brake enabled though...maybe there is a correlation, not sure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine works. In the parking garage at work if cars back up and I stop on the incline I'm definitely held there. I do have the auto parking brake enabled though...maybe there is a correlation, not sure.
I have also the auto parking brake enabled.

You remain steady state forever ?
Strange, as it seems the brakes are release anyway after 5 to 10 seconds.

But I'm disappointed your's works.
You swith it in P ..... I'm kidding :grin2:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another aggravating issue with the start/stop - on a hot day, when the engine stops, the AC continues to blow but it does not stay cold. It just blows air until the car starts again.
I've read that the SS is not supposed to engage when the car senses that it needs to keep the AC running. But it does every time.
I have to recheck but mine stays with engine revving when AC is engaged and T° is not reached.
Normally, if you wait more time, the engine should switch ON

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You may be right...maybe I do roll back after a time. I'll see if I can try it at lunch.
If the inclination of the road is not to high, the car starts slowly.
If inclination is higher, it goes backwards.

If there is an interaction between SS and HH, then the phenomenon I described here above happens (at least on my car)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
S&S will not engage if set temperature and actual cabin temperature differ by more than 4°C. It will also restart automatically once the car determines that the desired comfort level can no longer be maintained (the air speed is also reduced while the engine is stopped to try and keep the evaporator cold for a longer amount of time).

·
Registered
869 Posts
How are you testing this? The S/S only works when you have the foot on the brake so as soon as you release the brake the car starts and I'm held there. Are you then trying to just see how long the car holds you one the S/S has restarted the car?

Do you have the car in drive or reverse? I have noticed that, even in my driveway, if you are on an incline and you put it in reverse that auto brake will not release with a push of the gas pedal. But in the same drive way if I back in and then put it in drive the brake releases with the gas pedal as expected.

So maybe there is a difference in the HH too.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
1st World Problems

S&S will not engage if set temperature and actual cabin temperature differ by more than 4°C. It will also restart automatically once the car determines that the desired comfort level can no longer be maintained (the air speed is also reduced while the engine is stopped to try and keep the evaporator cold for a longer amount of time).
The problem is when it is a really hot day and the SS engages, shutting down the AC and reducing the air speed, the cabin temperature rises very quickly. It does restart after a short time. However, my wife is already complaining by the time it restarts. :grin2:
The only solution is to disable the aggravating thing on hot days.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How are you testing this? The S/S only works when you have the foot on the brake so as soon as you release the brake the car starts and I'm held there. Are you then trying to just see how long the car holds you one the S/S has restarted the car?

Do you have the car in drive or reverse? I have noticed that, even in my driveway, if you are on an incline and you put it in reverse that auto brake will not release with a push of the gas pedal. But in the same drive way if I back in and then put it in drive the brake releases with the gas pedal as expected.

So maybe there is a difference in the HH too.
My remarks in blue in you lines :

You said :
The S/S only works when you have the foot on the brake (I agree) so as soon as you release the brake the car starts (I agree) and I'm held there (if I am on an inclined plane, when the engine starts the cars goes backward during 1 second, until the power comes to the wheels) . Are you then trying to just see how long the car holds you one the S/S has restarted the car? (I also made this test, but this ins another topic)

My concern is the fact the cars goes backwards.
The HH is released simultaneously with the Engine Start command.

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
Its always hot in Houston. Mine turns back on in like 30 seconds...defeats the whole point of the system.
I have the same experience concerning stop start here in Dallas. However, I drove the car to Arkansas and it was cooler and the start stop worked much better. It stayed off the entire time I was stopped and the AC was able to keep the cabin cool. The temperature was in the 70s / 80s.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts