Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in AZ. The auto start / stop is no longer working. For those in the hot states are you experiences the same issues. Those states recording 105 degrees and above?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think this has been discussed (there are many reasons for the car to inactivate the start/stop feature). One reason this inactivates is if AC is required, plus (I believe), a large differential between inside/outside temps. So yes, an environment with say >100F will probably be causative. You can always shut off the AC for a few min and see if it reverts to functionality - that will prove it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmm, that's strange. I work by the DFW airport and it's pretty much been 90-100 everyday for awhile now. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had an issue. :D I always use the remote start and let the car run for a minute or 2 before I'm even in the car to let it cool down inside. Maybe that's why?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm just going to put my two cents on on this auto start/stop thing. It activates too quickly. You can't stop at a stop sign for a right turn without the engine cutting off. When I drive into my driveway the engine cuts off BEFORE I CAN TURN THE CAR OFF. I have to restart the engine to cut the car off. Sheesh.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think overall, when the heat is high, most vehicles won't kick in the Auto-Stop-Start because they want to keep the AC running and not bake you out. Trust me, I've had some 70 and 80 degree whether (with high humidity) and wished the Auto-Stop-Start did not kick in.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Why everyone isn't disabling this, is beyond me. Its harmful to the car. I read a description of what happens in a GM car (Chevrolet) as part of this system - all the things it has to engage (including a supplementary pump to mind the transmission while the engine is off). When I read that, and knowing you cannot defeat the system on a Chevy, I didn't buy the car simply for that reason alone.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Why everyone isn't disabling this, is beyond me. Its harmful to the car. I read a description of what happens in a GM car (Chevrolet) as part of this system - all the things it has to engage (including a supplementary pump to mind the transmission while the engine is off). When I read that, and knowing you cannot defeat the system on a Chevy, I didn't buy the car simply for that reason alone.
It's part of my precheck takeoff. Parking brake off then auto start off.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I live in AZ. The auto start / stop is no longer working. For those in the hot states are you experiences the same issues. Those states recording 105 degrees and above?
I could care less since it doesn't get that hot up here in Seattle.

However, wish you folks in Arizona would stop shipping your infected romaine lettuce to us!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

However, wish you folks in Arizona would stop shipping your infected romaine lettuce to us!
Okay. I will place tariffs on your vidallia onions:smile2: and starbucks:smile2::smile2: Hey, Do we really grow lettuce here? I know we got lots of scorpions and agave but lettuce? Good thing i eat iceburg.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good point. My previous car didn’t have this feature. Something to get used to.
It is suppose to save gas but I was reading a few articles on it since it is becoming more popular in vehicles. The long term impact on the car with the continuous start / stops. Supposedly it is getting better and lubricants for bearings or whatever have been improved but what are the impacts on the starters. There are only so many cycles. I will likely start shutting it off as part of the takeoff procedures once i know it is functioning.

I am not so concerned about whether it works or not it is more the “why” it is not working. The first year of ownership you can pretty much get everything fixed under warranty except tires and curb rash on wheels. Brakes, pads, batteries all typically maintenance can be replaced. So as long as it is heat related fine. But if it is a sign of a battery dying then I would want to get that replaced in the first service year.

As an example. Much to my surprise I needed to replace my Mini Cooper battery. The cheapest place is the dealership which charged 425. You can try to find one at AutoZone or one of the battery houses BUT you have to take it back to the dealer to get it “registered” which would be $175 so you just have the dealer do it. I am pretty sure that is the way AR works and because of the complexity of the battery at least in the QV it is not gonna be cheap. So one of the symptoms of a weak battery is Auto/Stop Start doesn’t work properly. There are other possibilities.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HTML:
I have been reading the same thing. The only reason I care is because if it is battery related they will replace a failing battery. That is one of the causes of failure but so is environment so I am sure the dealership will argue the heat as being the cause. I will go with that until the fall but at least i have a record of noting it is an issue now. Really even in April when the temps were around where Ryanc383 70-80 it was kicking back on with the foot still on the brake.

I agree with everyone that it is a bit concerning with what it is doing to the car in general at the cost of saving a couple gallons a month. Maybe.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well here is one way you could test it - on two consecutive days where you plan to drive the car, see if this problem appears on day #1. When you get home, put a battery tender on the car overnight - which will condition the battery to peak. Disconnect it in the morning and drive it on day #2 - does the problem go away? If it does, then its the battery.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Why manually release the parking brake? You do know that with the drivers seat belt fastened, selecting D or R will automatically release the parking brake as you release the brake and apply throttle, right?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,633 Posts
Wouldn't waiting until it is late at night and not so hot work as a test if start-stop is working?

Or you could drive up to Bridgeport where our current heatwave has the highs up to 83F.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Okay. I will place tariffs on your vidallia onions:smile2: and starbucks:smile2::smile2: Hey, Do we really grow lettuce here? I know we got lots of scorpions and agave but lettuce? Good thing i eat iceburg.
Real vidalia onions only come the from Vidlia, GA area. Like champagne, they have a defined provenance.

A Vidalia onion (/vɪˈdeɪliə/ or /vaɪˈdeɪliə/) is a sweet onion of certain varieties, grown in a production area defined by law of the U.S. state of Georgia and by the United States Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).

The varieties include the hybrid yellow granex, varieties of granex parentage, and other similar varieties recommended by the Vidalia Onion Committee and approved by the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture.

The onions are named Vidalia because of where they are grown: Vidalia, Georgia. The growing of Vidalia onions there started in the early 1930s. The different varieties are unusually sweet, due to the low amount of sulfur in the soil in which the onions are grown.

Reactions: 19737

·
Registered
691 Posts
Why manually release the parking brake? You do know that with the drivers seat belt fastened, selecting D or R will automatically release the parking brake as you release the brake and apply throttle, right?
Do you drive a QV? I don't like how the car jumps in that mode. The QV is already aggressive enough when releasing the foot off the brake and applying no throttle. When having to apply throttle to get the parking brake to release makes it even worse.

·
Registered
691 Posts

How much less could you care? I couldn't care less ?

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.