Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Noticed when I have the car on, but the engine off this high pitch noise from my engine bay. Hear it slightly inside the car so I thought it was the a/c or radio. Turned those off, looked all around the car. Lifted the hood and there it was. Any help? Thanks.

https://youtu.be/8HRezInJPmY

·
Registered
39 Posts
Noticed when I have the car on, but the engine off this high pitch noise from my engine bay. Hear it slightly inside the car so I thought it was the a/c or radio. Turned those off, looked all around the car. Lifted the hood and there it was. Any help? Thanks.

When I park in my garage (closed space amplifies) I hear a similar but much quieter version of that noise. I’m curious too.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It’s probably the electric water pump for the low temp coolant circuit for the air-water intercooler circulating coolant to keep the turbo happy. You’ll hear all sorts of solenoids and relays and other funny noises when your car “wakes up” with the key fob and after you shut it down. It’s normal. Now you know where some of that phantom power loss is coming from. Don’t leave your car for weeks on end unless you plug it into a battery tender.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

When I park in my garage (closed space amplifies) I hear a similar but much quieter version of that noise. I’m curious too.
My mic on my phone pics it up much louder than I hear it. It's not that loud in real life, but loud enough for me to hear.

I can barely hear it on the inside of the car with nothing on. Now that I know it's there I hear it more....

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
It’s probably the electric water pump for the low temp coolant circuit for the air-water intercooler circulating coolant to keep the turbo happy. You’ll hear all sorts of solenoids and relays and other funny noises when your car “wakes up” with the key fob and after you shut it down. It’s normal. Now you know where some of that phantom power loss is coming from. Don’t leave your car for weeks on end unless you plug it into a battery tender.
This ^^

Mine does this too

·
Registered
39 Posts
You really know your stuff!

If I may, I have another: The tire pressure monitor tells me the back tire is at 28 psi. Then, one time while driving I got an alert that the tire pressure monitor needs service. Then, it went away. I’ve been ignoring this as a glitch sort of thing, thinking the pressure is probably fine.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You really know your stuff!

If I may, I have another: The tire pressure monitor tells me the back tire is at 28 psi. Then, one time while driving I got an alert that the tire pressure monitor needs service. Then, it went away. I’ve been ignoring this as a glitch sort of thing, thinking the pressure is probably fine.

What do you think?
Check the tire pressure with an actual gauge and adjust as necessary? Lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check the tire pressure with an actual gauge and adjust as necessary? Lol
Yeah, I have an old timey gauge that gives inconsistent readings and feel too young and hip to buy a new one, plus I’m a girl, if that gets me any sympathy... But, you’re right, gosh darn it!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
IT IS the electric driven water pump for the low temperature cooling circuit, circulating coolant from the secondary coolant tank to cool the Turbo after you shut down the engine post a drive. The high pitch noise i.e. the pump can remain running for a few minutes even when you switch off ignition and lock the car. It appears timed and will shut down after a few minutes. Its normal and nothing to worry about.

Reactions: efl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know how the LT auxilliary pump works? Would there be a continuous whine for a couple of minutes after shut down (which is what I would expect), or in my case a short whine for a second or so which is repeated every 15 seconds. My Giulia TB continued like this for about 30 min at which point I got worried and took the car out to cool it down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts