Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have the $700. optional "High Performance Bi-Xenon Headlights"?
If so, what is your opinion on their (high) performance?
Has anyone had the experience to do an A-B comparison between the two headlight options, at night, of course?
None of the dealerships near me have, or have sold any cars with the option lights.
Physically, looking at them, through the lens, do they look any different than the standard ones?
I seem to remember reading that the option lamps are 5 watts brighter, and that they also turn left and right along with the steering wheel. Is this true?
Thanks,
AlfaAndy

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The lighting package is standard on the Quadrifoglio. The robot eyes aren't necessarily a driver enhancement. It makes for a great "look at this" for new passengers. Though, the real effectiveness is questionable.

In my opinion, the real question would be the difference in the overall brightness.

For most makes and models, the aftermarket makes upgraded ballasts and bulb upgrades. I'd be inclined to save the $700 upfront. Though, if the brightness factor is really that much difference then I would think twice about it.

Good question. Maybe a local dealer has two cars with different combos?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have these lights on my Ti but i've only had the car for a week. However I do notice that they are 'there'. When i turn into my driveway at night I clearly see that the lights turn to right as I pull in. Not sure if the adaptive hi beam feature is part of this upgrade or standard for the Giulia, but the dealer told me that the hi beams will come on when the car 'senses' it needs them, then turn them off for on coming cars.
IMO, they are worth $700 if you amortize that over the life of your loan or lease. If you live in an urban setting than maybe they wouldn't be worth it, but in more rural area I could see their worth for sure.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The $700 option is for Higher power 35W Xenons vs. base 25W units.
They also swivel with steering above some base speed.

Both models have auto on/off feature.

The auto high beams (with whatever adaptive modes they have) only come when you get the $1500 Driver Assist Dynamic package.

I don't have a Giulia yet but have been looking for this feature and it's not very common on dealer ordered cars.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I do not have the upgraded headlamps. i was just to cheap to spend the extra money.

When driving at night, turning the steering wheel about 1/8 turn, turns on an extra lamp pointing in that direction. It's not the brightest thing. It seem to be most effective at slow speeds. I'd probably never notice them on a dark canyon road.

Now I'm wondering if I could rig up a driving lamp, pointed for the turns, that is triggered by this. It only turns on the inside lamp, so it would be hard to blind oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Would 5 watts really make a big difference? Also, I was not aware the Giulia came with any swiveling head lights. I was only aware of their "Static Bending LED lights" which are LEDs which are angled and come on when you turn the wheel right or left after a certain angle. Below is the section in the manual that describes the feature. I've also embedded a video about Giulia's headlight. Again, there is no mention of any swiveling headlights.

My previous car (Buick Lacrosse Touring) had swiveling bi-xenon headlights in which the entire housing would swivel left or right as you turned your steering wheel and you were moving more than 5 miles per hour.

https://youtu.be/kfqSpHAQy6k

Attachments

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Would 5 watts really make a big difference? Also, I was not aware the Giulia came with any swiveling head lights. I was only aware of their "Static Bending LED lights" which are LEDs which are angled and come on when you turn the wheel right or left after a certain angle. Below is the section in the manual that describes the feature. I've also embedded a video about Giulia's headlight. Again, there is no mention of any swiveling headlights.

My previous car (Buick Lacrosse Touring) had swiveling bi-xenon headlights in which the entire housing would swivel left or right as you turned your steering wheel and you were moving more than 5 miles per hour.

https://youtu.be/kfqSpHAQy6k
They do indeed swivel. My 4C mechanic showed me the service section on them (I asked). It looks like a better mouse trap. As I understand what it says, the faster you drive, the sharper they will turn. It seems to me that it should be the other way around, because the faster you drive, the more gentle (less of an arc) you need to turn.

But, wattage is only how much power the lamp draws, not how bright they are. Lumen is the measure of brightness. Different lamp designs can produce different lumens and still draw the same watts.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,734 Posts
They do indeed swivel. My 4C mechanic showed me the service section on them (I asked). It looks like a better mouse trap. As I understand what it says, the faster you drive, the sharper they will turn. It seems to me that it should be the other way around, because the faster you drive, the more gentle (less of an arc) you need to turn.

But, wattage is only how much power the lamp draws, not how bright they are. Lumen is the measure of brightness. Different lamp designs can produce different lumens and still draw the same watts.
For the same technology the light production usually increases with increased wattage. The major exception being if LEDs are overdriven (too much wattage) they overheat and produce less light.

Does anybody know if the swiveling of the headlights can be disabled if that feature is found to be annoying?

To illuminate a curve properly the headlight on the driver's side should be the one to swivel since it is closest to the driver's line of sight.

It might be noted that to get headlight washers on a standard Giulia you need the advanced headlight option. Headlight washers can be a life saver when driving in the snow at night, at least if you ditch the [email protected]!#$ non-antifreeze windshield washer fluid available in California and use the "good stuff" that is readily available everywhere else. The higher wattage of the lights can also help, not because the lights are brighter but because there will be more heat at the front of the light to help keep it defrosted.

Repeating my question from another thread: Do Giulia's headlights have a proper cutoff of the light going upward?

If there is too much light going upward one gets a blinding glare off of road signs, off of snow and off of fog. My after market truck lights do a terrible job of this (the OEM headlights were not better), my Mazda's high beams do a poor job of this, and my Subaru's headlights (both high and low beam) do an excellent job of this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The system is called AFS, or AFLS; lots of manufacturers offer it and therefore have information on it. You can turn it off.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had bi-xenons on my 2012 Golf R. In normal day to day city night driving I didn't really notice the difference due to the sheer amount of light noise from street lights and such.

However, I remember being on the backroads of PA on a road trip, and the difference became very apparent. I really noticed the lights following the road curves. Every little bit helps especially if you need to watch out for deer and other animals. You should also notice the difference between the stock 25watt vs 35watt bulb in the high performance xenons. It was a non-brainer for me on my TI order.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It might be noted that to get headlight washers on a standard Giulia you need the advanced headlight option. Headlight washers can be a life saver when driving in the snow at night, at least if you ditch the [email protected]!#$ non-antifreeze windshield washer fluid available in California and use the "good stuff" that is readily available everywhere else.
OK, so when you order the high performance headlamp option (35W xenons w/ AFL) you also get the headlamp washers? I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, and I thought only the QFs were getting headlamp washers.

I did order the high performance headlamps on my 2018 Giulia build, I thought better forward visibility was the best driver aid you could upgrade versus the other safety options. I don't need the car to autonomously brake for me, if I can actually see what is in the road ahead and can apply the brakes myself.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, so when you order the high performance headlamp option (35W xenons w/ AFL) you also get the headlamp washers? I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, and I thought only the QFs were getting headlamp washers.

I did order the high performance headlamps on my 2018 Giulia build, I thought better forward visibility was the best driver aid you could upgrade versus the other safety options. I don't need the car to autonomously brake for me, if I can actually see what is in the road ahead and can apply the brakes myself.
I too want to order the option lamps on my 2018 build and don't see anything mentioning headlamp washers.
I have asked my dealer rep about this and she is checking on it.
Watching the link attached to post #6 (in this thread), you can see at the (approx) 42 second and 58 second mark, a cutaway on the front bumper for what could be for extending squirter nozzels.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I too want to order the option lamps on my 2018 build and don't see anything mentioning headlamp washers.
I have asked my dealer rep about this and she is checking on it.
Watching the link attached to post #6 (in this thread), you can see at the (approx) 42 second and 58 second mark, a cutaway on the front bumper for what could be for extending squirter nozzels.
I'm inclined to say that you don't get the headlamp washers with the headlamp upgrade here in the USA. I know in parts of Europe you do, but not here. This car's window sticker lists the $700 high performance headlamp option, but the car photos on the dealer website show a standard sport front facia, with no washer ports below the headlamps in the bumper cover.

Window Sticker

Vehicle Photos on Dealer Website

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have this feature, at low speeds the leds (SBL) light the sides, and above some set speed the headlights turn up to 15 degrees (AFL)I think, I can't remember where I read this.
All Giulia's have SBL, AFL is part of 35w xenons, Quads have both.
low speed==SBL
hi speed== AFL

·
Registered
359 Posts
Check the Feature Availability doc. Washers only come on the Quad.
https://www.alfaromeousa.com/content/dam/alfausa/pdf/giulia/2017_AR_Giulia_FA.pdf
Right... except for a lot of the published Alfa Romeo Giulia documentation (and videos) contain erroneous information anyway. That features availability that has been out for 6+ months contains features and package options that are stated as available, but haven't been and still aren't available. So we're stuck doing detective work and looking at actual built cars to try and figure things out.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just received a reply from the dealer rep. Headlight washer system is available only on the Quad. For me, this is not a deal-breaker. I will still go ahead and order the optional lamps.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a Quadrifoglio here in the US and don't believe I have headlight washers and I don't see it listed in the owner's manual. The covers on the bumper seem to fit rather poorly.

Has anyone with a US QV checked to see if you have this feature?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,734 Posts

I agree that good forward visibility is the most important safety feature. Maybe more important than good brakes (you can steer around some obstacles that you can see, but will crash into everything if you can't see).

In the alfaromeousa site "build your vehicle" I select Giulia Ti AWD and click build, exterior tab, high performance headlights -> details.
Last month if I scrolled down on the details text beneath the text stating that the headlights are adaptive it said headlight washers.

This month the details do not mention either being adaptive or including headlight washers. Who knows what you will actually get. Maybe Alfa is like Cushman motor scooters, shipping machines built from whatever parts are on hand?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have a Quadrifoglio here in the US and don't believe I have headlight washers and I don't see it listed in the owner's manual. The covers on the bumper seem to fit rather poorly.

Has anyone with a US QV checked to see if you have this feature?
I have them on my Q

1 - 20 of 70 Posts