Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lovely people from the land of "milk and honey" and elsewhere in the world. It's a pleasure being on this forum.

I have been trolling this forum on a daily basis since January 2017 and it has provided me with a wealth of info wrt the new Giulia. I haven't taken the plunge as yet but hope to do so during the 3rd quarter of this year.

I have been an Alfa fanatic since 1974 ( I have given my age away). I actually learned to drive in an 1968 Alfa Giulia Super which was owned by my dad. He subsequently passed the car onto me.
That's when the love affair started (gremlins and all).

I have owned the following Alfa's amongst other brands as well:
1968 Giulia Super
1977 Alfetta 1600 Super
1981 Alfetta 2000
1984 Alfa 33
1988 Giuletta
Thereafter Alfa Romeo dis-invested from South Africa due to sanctions, but thereafter I did buy, as a second car, a Alfa 1.5 Sprint Veloce. (This was used as a pace car at some races at the informous Kyalami Racetrack in SA).

Thanks for all the info folks and sorry for boring you.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome to the forum, are you special ordering a Giulia? What options are you planning to get? You clearly have a lot of experience with Alfa's and enthusiasm for them and that's not boring.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome :)

Is there an Alfa dealer anywhere in South Africa? We've been without Alfa dealers for twenty years until the 4C arrived a few years ago.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum, are you special ordering a Giulia? What options are you planning to get? You clearly have a lot of experience with Alfa's and enthusiasm for them and that's not boring.
Here's the issue....

I particularly want the Veloce model as in the UK (TI as in USA and Canada), but the dealers only have the 3 versions of the base unit. They tell me that the Veloce (280hp) will not be coming to SA. I know that they are lying cos the want the push the sales of the base units. I would rather wait as I don't want to buy a base unit. The Veloce just POPS.
As far as specs and colours are concerned, I am not 100%certain at this point of time But I would prefer the White, Versuvio or the Tri coat Red in the same order.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome :)

Is there an Alfa dealer anywhere in South Africa? We've been without Alfa dealers for twenty years until the 4C arrived a few years ago.
Yes there are Alfa dealers in most major cities. Johannesburg has 3 dealers but like yourselves in the USA some are better than others.

BTW - The brand did make a re-appearance about 6 or 7 years ago with the Mito and Giuletta and later the 4C....but I was not particularly thrilled with the Giuletta.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Here's the issue....

I particularly want the Veloce model as in the UK (TI as in USA and Canada), but the dealers only have the 3 versions of the base unit. They tell me that the Veloce (280hp) will not be coming to SA. I know that they are lying cos the want the push the sales of the base units. I would rather wait as I don't want to buy a base unit. The Veloce just POPS.
As far as specs and colours are concerned, I am not 100%certain at this point of time But I would prefer the White, Versuvio or the Tri coat Red in the same order.
Dealers prefer to sell what's on their lot and not do special orders. You should try other dealers and see what they say. My dealer here in the USA has a long list of what they will receive. This list of cars is not their choice. Perhaps one of these dealers has a car on their list that matches (or close enough) what you want. Perhaps they will take a deposit on that car marking it as yours.

There are other options, but that is your best starting point.

Dealers will sometime do a special order. Usually only for special customers. But, it never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
You have some great roads on which to enjoy driving a Giulia.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts