Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on keeping this vehicle for 5+ years. I purchased the 125,000 extended warranty. Only had one oil change performed at 10,000 miles. I requested a tire rotation and alignment, but they decided not to do it and I never rescheduled. Now I have 17,000 miles on the odometer after owning for 13 months.

I am scheduling an oil change, tire rotation and alignment.

I also plan on adding more engine coolant. The fluid is below the minimum line (lucky I popped the hood because apparently there is no fancy system in place to detect a problem with fluid levels).

My question to you guys. What else should I have done?

Also, how often do you guys have:
1 - oil changes
2 - tire rotations
3 - alignments
4 - fluid replacements

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Brake fluid flush if you have driven the car very hard on a track once a year. I would do the swap once every 2 years if you just daily drive the car. Don't let the dealership use the Mopar DOT 4 fluid, it's not very good quality, use Motul RBF 600 at the minimum as that is the closest to factory fill. If you track it, Castrol SRF all the way.

Antifreeze is 100k or 10 year replacement.

Air filter I would inspect every 12k.

Cabin air filter I would change once a year if you use the AC a lot and probably change it due to the labor involved.

Rear differential I would service at 60k.

I would also ensure that the rubber door weatherstripping is cleaned and coated once a year.

Spark Plugs is every 40k but it probably can be much further extended to like 60k

Alignments I would do when I get new tires or when the car starts pulling to the right or left when you let go of the wheel (this is only a gross check and at your own risk).

Tire rotations every 10k with oil changes. And only if your wheels are not a staggered setup. Then you don't have to worry about rotating the tires, just replace tires when at the legal limit.

Brake pads are dependent on how you drive, so replace as needed.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brake fluid flush if you have driven the car very hard on a track once a year. I would do the swap once every 2 years if you just daily drive the car. Don't let the dealership use the Mopar DOT 4 fluid, it's not very good quality, use Motul RBF 600 at the minimum as that is the closest to factory fill. If you track it, Castrol SRF all the way.

Antifreeze is 100k or 10 year replacement.

Air filter I would inspect every 12k.

Cabin air filter I would change once a year if you use the AC a lot and probably change it due to the labor involved.

Rear differential I would service at 60k.

I would also ensure that the rubber door weatherstripping is cleaned and coated once a year.

Spark Plugs is every 40k but it probably can be much further extended to like 60k

Alignments I would do when I get new tires or when the car starts pulling to the right or left when you let go of the wheel (this is only a gross check and at your own risk).

Tire rotations every 10k with oil changes. And only if your wheels are not a staggered setup. Then you don't have to worry about rotating the tires, just replace tires when at the legal limit.

Brake pads are dependent on how you drive, so replace as needed.
This is what I am doing next Wednesday:
-oil change/filter replacement
-tire rotation
-alignment
-Add more engine coolant
-Replace brake fluid
My dealership only carries Mopar DOT 4 fluid. I have a Ti Sport, should I use Motul RBF 600 anyway? They said I can bring my own. Idk how much to bring lol
-New wiper blades
-Inspect brake pads and rotors
-Replace passenger compartment cleaner
-Replace air cleaner
-Replace cabin air filter
-Replace the additional fuel filter

I don’t track it, but if I don’t get it beyond 110mph once every two weeks I was on vacation in another country.

Also, never heard of cleaning or “coating” the weather stripping? Care to explain?

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Yes, get your own brake fluid. If you truly don't track the car I would think I would switch to the Bosch EIS6- 32N 5.1 brake fluid off Amazon. 1.5-2 liters would be enough. This fluid lasts 3 years installed, saves some money on not having to flush as often. Please don't confuse DOT 5.1 vs 5.0 they are not the same. DOT 5.1 is newer and is a glycol base that is compatible with DOT 3&4 and is less hydroscopic. As a backup, if you don't want to use the Mopar DOT 4 fluid, don't want to buy your own, then if the Alfa dealer is a Maserati dealer tell them you want the Maserati brake fluid (it's the petronas factory fill) but they charge $45 a quart and you need 2. More cost effective to buy your own.

As far as the weatherstripping, use Protectant 303. Good stuff. Not many people treat their weatherstripping and it dries out, shrinks, then you have wind noise. Look up on you tube weatherstripping cleaning and care.

I would buy my own antifreeze from the Dodge (I don't have a local Alfa dealer) dealer 50/50 mix and add it myself. I'm cheap and bought a gallon of the concentrate and a gallon of distilled water and make my own 60/40. My local dealer charges $21 for the 50/50 and $27 for the concentrate. Keep in mind the factory antifreeze has an orange dye and the Mopar is purple, the resultant color will be brown depending on how much you add. It will look weird but it will be OK. Yes, the purple is the correct antifreeze it has to with the USA vs European market regions and the dye used by the chemical manufacturer, chemically they are the same and that is what matters.

I forgot to add transmission fluid flush every 60k, a lot of people will say that's overkill but to each his own. Transmissions are expensive.

Also I don't know why the fuel filter is being changed. I thought we have a lifetime filter. Maybe Macgeek can chime in on that one.

Wiper blades I would also do my self, dealer parts are very expensive. Unless you want OEM parts, then that's a different matter.

· Vendor
Alfa romeo 164S, Giulia QV- Squadra
4,841 Posts
This is what I am doing next Wednesday:
-oil change/filter replacement
-tire rotation
-alignment
-Add more engine coolant
-Replace brake fluid
My dealership only carries Mopar DOT 4 fluid. I have a Ti Sport, should I use Motul RBF 600 anyway? They said I can bring my own. Idk how much to bring lol
-New wiper blades
-Inspect brake pads and rotors
-Replace passenger compartment cleaner
-Replace air cleaner
-Replace cabin air filter
-Replace the additional fuel filter

I don’t track it, but if I don’t get it beyond 110mph once every two weeks I was on vacation in another country.

Also, never heard of cleaning or “coating” the weather stripping? Care to explain?
Sounds reasonable.
I carry the OEM Petronas Selenia Paraflu Up in stock.(coolant)
Brake fluid for sure. If your not tracking it and change it every 2 years, DOT 4 is fine. Most likely made by Castrol. Or I would go with MOTUL RBF 600. I stock it. Or Motul 5.1 or Factory Racing RBF 600 Brake (DOT 4) fluid if you want to push it. Dry 594F/Wet 399.

Motul is the best around, from brake fluid to Oil. I am waiting on them to get up to speed on the API SN PLUS oil on 0W-30. Otherwise I would have no issues using the Motul API SN 0W-30. ;)

Motul RBF 660
(Track)
325 °C (617 °F)204 °C (400 °F)Motul RBF 660
Motul RBF 600
(Track/AutoX/HPDE)
312 °C (594 °F)216 °C (421 °F)Motul RBF 600
ATE Type 200
(Daily/AutoX/Light Track)
280 °C (536 °F)198 °C (388 °F)ATE Type 200

Be careful adding more coolant. Typically the coolant tank in the rear is low but it does not mean your low on coolant. If you want to do 5.1
Cabin filter a must, after 7K miles in mine, it was dirty. I have carbon biofunctional filters now in stock.

Leave your weatherstripping alone. Products are typically a waste of $. Most products end up dissolving the product you are trying to protect.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Protectant 303 is good stuff, I've used it for years. It's used on aircraft and does wonders for protecting plastic and rubber. It does not leave a greasy film like other products do. It has an anti-UV property so it helps prevent black plastic (or any plastic as well as paint) from fading. Rubber parts also benefit. Follow the directions for using it; don't make up your own version of spray and wipe.

I use it every 6 months for all the black plastic parts on the outside, and rubber. NOTE! One exception; do NOT use it on windshield wiper blades, as it makes them so slippery they won't wipe water away from the windshield.

That's another benefit of this stuff; it adds a protectant to the surface of whatever you put it on so that it's super slippery afterwards. Makes it easier to clean any surface it's on. If you wash your car a lot using detergents, you might want to use it every 2-3 months on the plastic parts; black plastic trim especially.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sounds reasonable.
I carry the OEM Petronas Selenia Paraflu Up in stock.(coolant)
Brake fluid for sure. If your not tracking it and change it every 2 years, DOT 4 is fine. Most likely made by Castrol. Or I would go with MOTUL RBF 600. I stock it. Or Motul 5.1 or Factory Racing RBF 600 Brake (DOT 4) fluid if you want to push it. Dry 594F/Wet 399.

Motul is the best around, from brake fluid to Oil. I am waiting on them to get up to speed on the API SN PLUS oil on 0W-30. Otherwise I would have no issues using the Motul API SN 0W-30. ;)

Motul RBF 660
(Track)
325 °C (617 °F)204 °C (400 °F)Motul RBF 660
Motul RBF 600
(Track/AutoX/HPDE)
312 °C (594 °F)216 °C (421 °F)Motul RBF 600
ATE Type 200
(Daily/AutoX/Light Track)
280 °C (536 °F)198 °C (388 °F)ATE Type 200

Be careful adding more coolant. Typically the coolant tank in the rear is low but it does not mean your low on coolant. If you want to do 5.1
Cabin filter a must, after 7K miles in mine, it was dirty. I have carbon biofunctional filters now in stock.

Leave your weatherstripping alone. Products are typically a waste of $. Most products end up dissolving the product you are trying to protect.
The engine coolant is below the minimum line (when you pop the hood, far back right corner). Are you suggesting I purchase my own OEM Petronas Selenia Paraflu Up or you think the dealership will use it? It is and Alfa/Maserati dealership connected to a Porsche and Volvo dealership. I was just going to have them use whichever coolant they are used to. Same with their oil choice.

As far as the brake fluid, my dealership only carries MOPAR DOT 4 fluid. However, they said they could use Porsche, but didn’t know if it was the right kind..... I, personally, don’t know the difference between 4 5 and 5.1. They said I can bring my own. I just need to purchase it today so it comes by Tuesday. I like to drive VERY aggressively.

Is this the one? https://www.amazon.com/Motul-MTL100...etic/dp/B004LEYJO4?ref_=bl_dp_s_mw_2596875011

· Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,422 Posts
You cannot switch to DOT 5 brake fluid without changing all of the rubber in the brake system. It is not clear to me what is the difference between DOT 4+ and DOT 5.1 brake fluid. Keep in mind that brake fluid also has a minimum usable temperature, particularly in systems with ABS and/or traction control. I believe that DOT 4+ and DOT 5.1 have extended low temperature usability. I have not been able to find specifics like "below this temperature DOT X fluid will cause ABS failures or performance issues and/or failure of brakes to release", but I do know that DOT 4 has the worst low temperature behavior of all of the brake fluid fill options. (3, 4, 4+, 5.1)

If your coolant level is low, make certain that you do not have a coolant leak. There have been problems with leaky radiators and turbo charger seals. There is a long thread on the subject of what coolant is the right fill for Giulia. Apparently if you mix the wrong types, the coolant will gel.

· Vendor
4,841 Posts
The engine coolant is below the minimum line (when you pop the hood, far back right corner). Are you suggesting I purchase my own OEM Petronas Selenia Paraflu Up or you think the dealership will use it? It is and Alfa/Maserati dealership connected to a Porsche and Volvo dealership. I was just going to have them use whichever coolant they are used to. Same with their oil choice.

As far as the brake fluid, my dealership only carries MOPAR DOT 4 fluid. However, they said they could use Porsche, but didn’t know if it was the right kind..... I, personally, don’t know the difference between 4 5 and 5.1. They said I can bring my own. I just need to purchase it today so it comes by Tuesday. I like to drive VERY aggressively.

Is this the one? https://www.amazon.com/Motul-MTL100...etic/dp/B004LEYJO4?ref_=bl_dp_s_mw_2596875011
You can purchase your own, I stock it. I don't know what the dealer uses. They will have the MOPAR stuff which I doubt is Selenia.
Oil is fine. It's most likely Mobil 1 repackaged.

DOT 4 brake fluid is fine. OEM Brake fluid is Tutela (Selenia)

0,5 litres (35.19 fl.oz.) brake fluid Tutela Extreme HT DOT 4
Synthetic brake fluid with high boiling point. For sports cars and special racing applications, based on glycolethers and boric esters.

Technical data
DOT 4
Boiling point: 285 °C /545˚F (Motul 600: 594˚F)
Wet boiling point: 201 °C /393.8˚F (Motul 600: 421˚F)
Approvals: CUNA NC 956-01, ENSAYOS INTA -UNE 26-109-88, FIAT 9.55597 CONTRACTUAL TECHNICAL REF.N°F001.M01, FMVSS 116 -DOT4, ISO 4925 Class 4, MASERATI APPROVED, SAE J1704, SAE J1703

Not sure why folks think the OEM stuff is no good? It's right up there with the others. If your not cooking the fluid then OEM fluid is fine. If you want something more go for it. Motul is fantastic.

Castrol SRF Racing fluid, which is the best around if you consider the wet/dry boiling points ONLY:
Dry Boiling Point - 590°F
Wet Boiling Point - 518°F

Wet boiling is up there compared to the rest. Nearly 100˚F more than MOTUL Track Fluid. Will this make your aggressive driving better? Probably not and not for $70 a bottle. I'd stick with Motul, ATE or OEM Selenia (which is not in stock).

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You can purchase your own, I stock it. I don't know what the dealer uses. They will have the MOPAR stuff which I doubt is Selenia.
Oil is fine. It's most likely Mobil 1 repackaged.

DOT 4 brake fluid is fine. OEM Brake fluid is Tutela (Selenia)

0,5 litres (35.19 fl.oz.) brake fluid Tutela Extreme HT DOT 4
Synthetic brake fluid with high boiling point. For sports cars and special racing applications, based on glycolethers and boric esters.

Technical data
DOT 4
Boiling point: 285 °C /545˚F (Motul 600: 594˚F)
Wet boiling point: 201 °C /393.8˚F (Motul 600: 421˚F)
Approvals: CUNA NC 956-01, ENSAYOS INTA -UNE 26-109-88, FIAT 9.55597 CONTRACTUAL TECHNICAL REF.N°F001.M01, FMVSS 116 -DOT4, ISO 4925 Class 4, MASERATI APPROVED, SAE J1704, SAE J1703

Not sure why folks think the OEM stuff is no good? It's right up there with the others. If your not cooking the fluid then OEM fluid is fine. If you want something more go for it. Motul is fantastic.

Castrol SRF Racing fluid, which is the best around if you consider the wet/dry boiling points ONLY:
Dry Boiling Point - 590°F
Wet Boiling Point - 518°F

Wet boiling is up there compared to the rest. Nearly 100˚F more than MOTUL Track Fluid. Will this make your aggressive driving better? Probably not and not for $70 a bottle. I'd stick with Motul, ATE or OEM Selenia (which is not in stock).
Could you send me direct links to each product you offer for a 2018 Giulia Ti Sport? I am terrible at navigating websites and am not familiar with any of these products to begin with. I like using top of the line. Thanks.

For sure going with Motul RBF 600 for the brake fluid.
As far as coolant and oil, no clue.

· Vendor
4,841 Posts
Could you send me direct links to each product you offer for a 2018 Giulia Ti Sport? I am terrible at navigating websites and am not familiar with any of these products to begin with. I like using top of the line. Thanks.

For sure going with Motul RBF 600 for the brake fluid.
As far as coolant and oil, no clue.

BTW error in my wording, OEM brake fluid = factory fill. Not sure what they use at dealers here.

Not stocked at the momenth anyway and out of stock on Motul but can have it on Tuesday.

Spark Plugs, if dealer changes, will change to champion, not NGK factory used. (4)

Cabin Filter:

Air filter:

Oil Filter- Made in Italy (not mopar)

I only have 2L of Selenia Oil for the Giulia 2.0L in stock. So either use Mopar or Mobil 1. 0W-30. Dexos.

Ciao!

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Buy the Pennzoil Platinum Euro from Wal Mart or advanced Auto. Be careful to use the correct oil for the engine. All engine oil weights are not created equal. NOACK is very important now due to direct injection, which is why Pennzoil is the only oil in the USA has the Fiat spec needed for our engines. A NOACK higher than 7 will create excessive intake valve deposits.

Just to be clear the factory brake fluid is good stuff, the Mopar DOT 4 brake fluid is of lesser quality than the factory fill, hence, why Motul was recommended.

· Registered
2,471 Posts
Make certain that your current engine oil is 0W-30 API SN Plus. This is the newest Alfa-Fiat recommendation for the Giulia 2.0 cars (not what the 17's and 18's and some of the 19's came with). This is formulated to combat LSPI. You don't want LSPI. The factory fill brake fluid is Petronas Tutela. These are the products that Faulkner Alfa - Maserati uses. Following the factory recommendations for maintenance intervals, or better, is the best way to achieve your goal of vehicle longevity. Personally, I will change my engine oil at about half the 10K mi. recommendation, and also change the automatic transmission fluid at about 50k mi. Some may say that is excessive and over-kill, but, it can't hurt the car, and the oil gets burned for heat!

Attachments

Reactions: thabiiighomie

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For anyone who wants to know:

Brake Fluid Flush:
$310.00 + cost of brake fluid

Brake Fluid:
$68.96 for 4x (2 Liters) Motul std color MTL100949 8068HL RBF 600 Factory Line Dot-4 100 Percent Synthetic Racing Brake Fluid-500, 500 mL

Windshield Wiper Blades:
$58.25 for Set of OEM wiper blades

Oil change:
$199.43 - not sure what oil (haven’t picked up the vehicle)

Engine Air Filter and Cabin Air Filter:
$248 for both

4 Wheel Alignment:
$279.95

Tire Rotaiton:
$40.00

Things I got quoted for, but did not move forward on:

Front Brake Pads and Rotors:
911.08 +Tax

Rear Brake Pads and Rotors:
$947.90 +Tax

4 Tires:
$1414.68 +tax

What they found defective, but claimed NOT under warranty:

Front Brake Ware Sensor Wire Replacement:
$155

I saw on MOPAR’s site/maintenance scheduled, I should have replaced accessory belt(s), too. That seems a bit extreme. Opinions?

· Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,359 Posts
They used Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic
It doesn't meet the API spec! Don't use that.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-advanced-fuel-economy#0W-30 <-- not good.
Does it meet the Mopar spec?
Screw the FIAT oil spec, it's only for profit and potential warranty claim denial. I used the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w-30. API SN PLUS rated.
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1#5W-30 <--good

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.