Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I have the 18" sport package with the matte grey rims and yes....I park it on the streets of Brooklyn, NY. I live in a decent neighborhood? but there have been cases of peoples rims being robbed infront of their house. This car is a head turner, I REALLY need those locks! Anyone find or know anything about them?

Please bring some good news!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wheel Locks (USA)-hopefully this will help others

Hey everyone!

I have the 18" sport package with the matte grey rims and yes....I park it on the streets of Brooklyn, NY. I live in a decent neighborhood? but there have been cases of peoples rims being robbed infront of their house. This car is a head turner, I REALLY need those locks! Anyone find or know anything about them?

Please bring some good news!
I also had a bit of a hard time finding wheel locks (or the spec to use). Even my AR dealer had no info. on the specs for the wheel lock bolts
used on the car.
Remember this car needs wheel lock bolts (not wheel lock nuts).
Somewhere along a thread here I found someone posted size to be 14mm x 1.5. The threaded length of bolt is approx. .90" (probably considered a 1" size). They are cone seats
The closest one I found was Gorilla #47018N ($28.65 on Amazon). I've just installed them and they fit.
For the purists, note that the cone seat in this size is only available in chrome (vs. stock black lug bolts). It doesn't bother me much b/c you hardly see it and for those looking so close to notice it on my car, they're probably thinking of stealing the wheels-so let 'em know there are locks on!

Of course, any lock can be broken off or taken off if someone wants the wheels that badly. The idea is just to make it more difficult or dissuade someone from messing with it.
My understanding is that the Gorilla Locks are pretty good compared to some of the others (which can break)
from normal use while you're trying to remove it).
Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have installed McGard 27181 on my QV.
Less than $30 from various sources.
Be careful with those. I've had McGard with that style in past (and while I didn't hv. an issue), I understand from tire shops that they can easily break due to the style of the key pattern (i.e on bolt head exclusively). Try not to use impact wrenches to loosen when tight or tighten by hand (I guess).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Has anyone used these wheel locks?
I received a set and they seem to drag on the hole diameter before they would start to tighten on the tapered section so I just put the stock ones back in. Just want to make sure they won't scratch the wheels before I hand torque them in
Wheel Alloy wheel Rim Auto part Tire
Auto part

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I wouldn’t have them, the only one they ever stopped from removing the wheels was me when the key got lost. Which of course you only discover when you already have an emergency.

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's what it was, they went on fine and look close enough like the other ones. Not that my neighborhood is bad, just want to put a little deterrent out there, so in the unlikely event they look at mine, so
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Tire Auto part
they move on to an easier car before they damage mine. They are not as easily marketed as a Honda or VW wheel, but the thefts in the paper look like maybe someone struggling with addiction and not thinking about it that much.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Got a set of wheel locks 2.5 years ago from EU, were not available in US then, they are now, the same set. Used them on my 2017 and now they are on my 2019.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Long years ago, when I had a Huffaker modified TR8, I was concerned about thieves breaking into my trunk, in which I rarely carried anything, so did not lock it. The above comment can certainly happen. A few years ago thieves left a Turbo Porsche up on cinder blocks in the parking lot for Doctors. Minimizing risk involves decisions. Back when cars had vent windows, the quick way to break in to yank out the radio was to put a vice-grip on the hinge, a twist, and pop it out, just seconds. Happened to me, and a difficult repair. Maybe the best thing to do to a thief is to put 4 blocks of C4 in the trunk.

NV

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
I've got the Alfa ones. So far so good. But a Parts manager once told me that experienced thieves know the key will be in the car somewhere so can smash up the car trying to find it ,and can do a lot more damage.
When I tell you I have removed in excess of 250 sets of wheel locks, that is not an exaggeration ...people lose the keys all the time and there are tools made to remove them when that happens ..so experienced thieves will have the locks off just as quickly as they do the regular bolts...and they wont be looking in the car for the key .. I guarantee it

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've got the Alfa ones. So far so good. But a Parts manager once told me that experienced thieves know the key will be in the car somewhere so can smash up the car trying to find it ,and can do a lot more damage.
Which are the Alfa ones? Do you have a link or description of these wheel locks?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts