Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I've been browsing the forums for a bit now and there is so much good info as well as contributions from the active members. Hopefully someone has seen this before and can offer some insight.

This last Thursday I was leaving my office for an early lunch and when I tried starting my new 2017 Q4 Giulia, it would not start. What it did do is make a series of fast clicking sounds under the hood and then scroll through what seemed like very warning light/error message possible. I called Alfa roadside (this was a terrible experience by the way but one for a different post), after 8hrs of phone calls finally had the 3rd tow truck of the day show up. The last one which arrived properly equipped to tow the vehicle with a pulley system since the car is 4 wheel drive and could not be shifted into neutral.

He insisted on trying to jump start it. I informed him that the 3 previous attempts did not work but he was welcomed to try. This time it did start up and I was elated. He sped away afterwards and would not answer his cell. The car was still scrolling through all the error messages and the ABS brakes were applied and would not disengage. The dealer where I was taking it to was .5 miles away. I painfully, slowly, as carefully as I could drove it there fighting and accelerating past the braking the whole time. I'm sure I did a number on the pads.

It was after hours at the dealer so I had to leave it in the service entrance and the keys in a night drop box. The car would not turn off at this point. After several attempts I managed to get the engine to shut off and was able to manually turn off the headlights however the instruments cluster was still lit up and scrolling through all the messages.

It's been at the dealer now for 4 days and they don't seem to have any answers. I don't mean as in they don't have updates for me. I mean as they literally do not know what they are doing. They replaced the battery and all the issues above still persist. Hence no progress has been made.

It's a Jeep/Dodge dealership that recently added an Alfa section. Its not the dealership where I purchased the vehicle nor was it my choice to take it for service there. However at .5 miles away it was the only option.

I'm feeling very disillusioned and worried that perhaps this car was a mistake. Feeling this way sucks because I truly am in love with the car. Looking for any advice. Has anyone seen this before? If was there a fix?

Thanks everyone in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
no worries, we don't like to hear issues like that so hopefully they'll sort it soon. One thing we do know is the frustration/time to fix/if it's fixed properly is dependent on whether the dealer is capable and doesn't sound like you're getting a good feel already. Do you also have a Giulia loaner? (you should have)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm feeling very disillusioned and worried that perhaps this car was a mistake. Feeling this way sucks because I truly am in love with the car.
Another terrible Alfa dealer. It really shouldn't take anyone more than a day to diagnose most any problem on these cars. We should start a running list of lousy dealers so we know which ones to avoid. It seems some stereotypes die hard. Some would say you're not really an Alfa owner if you haven't endured some unnecessary pain due to corporate malfeasance. Good luck and hopefully you get your car back soon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your situation. You issue sounds similar to mine with the exception of the no-start and ABS problem. Did they provide you with a loaner vehicle?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ehh... I'm in a Dodge Durango loaner. It's not bad, an I'm happy to be able to get around but certainly it's no Alfa. I had visited this dealer originally because the proximity of it to my office made it so convenient. However the sales people were completely un-knowledgeable about the car (their product). From memory they didn't know / couldn't explain the DNA knob or what it even was, basic specs on the vehicle (i.e. HP, engine size, safety information etc). I had also reached out via their website and they didn't email me back till 8 days later.

Needless to say I made the purchase elsewhere. However due to the situation they were the only choice for service. Not sure If I can arrange to have it moved to a different dealer. They probably wouldn't do that. Not without a whole lot of pain.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Not True

Ehh... I'm in a Dodge Durango loaner. It's not bad, an I'm happy to be able to get around but certainly it's no Alfa. I had visited this dealer originally because the proximity of it to my office made it so convenient. However the sales people were completely un-knowledgeable about the car (their product). From memory they didn't know / couldn't explain the DNA knob or what it even was, basic specs on the vehicle (i.e. HP, engine size, safety information etc). I had also reached out via their website and they didn't email me back till 8 days later.

Needless to say I made the purchase elsewhere. However due to the situation they were the only choice for service. Not sure If I can arrange to have it moved to a different dealer. They probably wouldn't do that. Not without a whole lot of pain.
I had an issue with my QV when I got it back in Dec. 2016...selling dealer (FIAT/ALFA) was incapable of fixing the car....car, like yours, was not driveable (was always in limp mode) Alfa-Care opened a Star case. I asked for the car to be sent to a Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa dealer who was close by (in CT), they(Alfa) took care of it...car was fixed in 24 hours. and has been 100% ever since....
Was the selling dealer a new Alfa dealer?? or a combo of Alfa/Maserati??? if so bring it to them!
Keep us posted!!
Best

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Gah! These kinds of stories are really hard to hear...and terrifying. Best luck to the OP.

To folks generally, are dealerships required to have a certified Alfa tech on staff? Mine has one, and I was told by a really enthusiastic Alfa sales manager that Alfa assigns specific techs to each car, so that when you go into service, even if they have multiple techs, I'm supposed to have just this one guy working on it. It wasn't clear to me what value this had, especially since my dealer only has one Alfa tech anyway, so I just listened to him and didn't think much about it. I'm just hoping this Alfa tech has some skill.

Are non-Alfa trained techs trying to work on these cars? If so, that might explain a lot of the service issues; if they have no experience or don't know where to find resources, that could be an issue. If dealers are required to have a tech trained or certified to work on Alfas and we're still seeing this level of inability, well...God help us.

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
414 Posts
Unfortunately most (if not all) the south Florida dealerships seem to be terrible. I’ve had issues with Rick case in Weston and have heard similar issues with Fiat/Alfa of North Miami.

I would probably recommend The Collection in Coral Gables as they also service high end exotics. That’s where I’m going to start taking mine even though I’m in ft Lauderdale

·
Registered
573 Posts
Gah! These kinds of stories are really hard to hear...and terrifying. Best luck to the OP.

To folks generally, are dealerships required to have a certified Alfa tech on staff? Mine has one, and I was told by a really enthusiastic Alfa sales manager that Alfa assigns specific techs to each car, so that when you go into service, even if they have multiple techs, I'm supposed to have just this one guy working on it. It wasn't clear to me what value this had, especially since my dealer only has one Alfa tech anyway, so I just listened to him and didn't think much about it. I'm just hoping this Alfa tech has some skill.

Are non-Alfa trained techs trying to work on these cars? If so, that might explain a lot of the service issues; if they have no experience or don't know where to find resources, that could be an issue. If dealers are required to have a tech trained or certified to work on Alfas and we're still seeing this level of inability, well...God help us.
The Alfa Tech at my dealership is also a Giulia owner. I have not met him yet but he will be working on my car next week to replace the right headlight assembly (Flaw in lens). Hoping all goes well.

Good luck to the OP, I hope things get sorted out quickly for you.

·
Registered
316 Posts
With a brand new car, and a lot of brand new dealerships selling them there are going be a lot of techs without much experience. Most dealerships will have one certified (and inexperienced) tech on hand. Plus there isn't a huge database of problems and fixes to work with yet. It's just part and parcel of buying a brand new model car sold from brand new dealers with brand new techs. This isn't an excuse, just a fact. This is typical early-adopter stuff. I hope everything works out quickly. Keep after the dealer, ask for regular updates on what they are doing, and remind him that just because you have a loaner car it doesn't mean they have all the time in the world.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have had my own horror story but thankfully the car came back repaired properly. I'm just waiting for the Dealer to pay for the clear bra and ceramic coat that their mistake made it necessary to re do.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The selling dealer was an Alfa / Fiat dealer. Should I have it moved to that dealer instead? How would I go about getting that process going? I actually just spoke to the service guy about 30min ago and per him they are fully stumped. They do not know whats wrong with it. It's kind of shocking to hear that... Anyways per him they've escalated the Chrysler for support / next steps.

Who should I reach out to to have it transfer? How can I get that process going? Forgive my ignorance, I'm just not sure where to even begin.

Thank you!

·
Registered
537 Posts

Non-Alfa techs cannot perform warranty work, and to be honest, nobody in our dealership will touch and Alfa unless they absolutely have to, that’s why we have two techs.
Alfa also does not “assign” techs to cars, unless there’s a comeback and the same tech is there, the car will go to whoever is available.
The problem is, as explained below, that the techs simply aren’t experienced, it’s a new brand, and two new cars, so it’s a learning curve for all of us. Add to that the fact that it’s very hard to get paid for diagnostic time (at any dealer), and what you end up with (sadly) is people guessing and throwing parts at cars, hoping one of them will fix it. We try not to do this though as it makes for poor customer satisfaction, and brings the entire brand, as well as our dealership down.

With a brand new car, and a lot of brand new dealerships selling them there are going be a lot of techs without much experience. Most dealerships will have one certified (and inexperienced) tech on hand. Plus there isn't a huge database of problems and fixes to work with yet. It's just part and parcel of buying a brand new model car sold from brand new dealers with brand new techs. This isn't an excuse, just a fact. This is typical early-adopter stuff. I hope everything works out quickly. Keep after the dealer, ask for regular updates on what they are doing, and remind him that just because you have a loaner car it doesn't mean they have all the time in the world.
Very well said and I agree completely, our training was three full days out of town, but there’s only so much you can learn in that time.....especially since the cars were new, so even the instructor didn’t know much about them, just what he was given by to teach. Some of the systems are similar to Fiat, which is nice since we are a fiat dealer, but the vast majority is new stuff, please bear with us and try to be patient.

The selling dealer was an Alfa / Fiat dealer. Should I have it moved to that dealer instead? How would I go about getting that process going? I actually just spoke to the service guy about 30min ago and per him they are fully stumped. They do not know whats wrong with it. It's kind of shocking to hear that... Anyways per him they've escalated the Chrysler for support / next steps.

Who should I reach out to to have it transfer? How can I get that process going? Forgive my ignorance, I'm just not sure where to even begin.

Thank you!
They should never tell you they’re stumped, whoever you are dealing with clearly has a poor grasp on how to deal with customers. If it was me I’d say the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) is bad, or there is a bad ground somewhere, and these cars rely heavily on both, this shouldn’t be too hard to diagnose if they have any decent techs, but that’s hard to say, especially considering what they’re telling you. They likely already know, but if you want to call and tell them to check the Battery Charge Status, this is in the ECM live data, and it NEEDS to be above 65%.
And sadly, they aren’t about to tow the car outta there to another dealer since that dealer has trained techs, so you’re just gonna have to wait it out.

Reactions: Tyresian

·
Registered
5,134 Posts

Thank you!
Your not ignorant its just a learning curve:grin2:
first have a Star Case opened, contact Alfa-Cares & explain the situation have a case opened through them. Tell them you would like the care brought to the dedicated Alfa/Fiat dealer that sold you the car for diagnosis & service. They should make the arrangements between where you brought it to where you bought it. They should assign you a dedicated Alfa-Care person & give you a case #.
You can reach out to them on this Forum as well.
Let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That you all very much for all the feedback. It is most appreciated! It's day 7 now and the dealer still has no clue. I'm going to contact Alfa as suggested above and see about opening a Star Case. I will keep this thread updated. Thank you all!

1 - 20 of 187 Posts