Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone help me understand this vehicle report? From my inexperienced eye, it seems like a lemon repair. But the carfax and the dealer says it's a company vehicle and an accident that involved no damage to the frame, and the airbags did not deploy. Dealer says the story is the Director of X was backing out of the parking lot and hit the front bumper when the person next to her was backing out as well. Instead of buffing the scratch out or leaving a small dent, they decided to order a new bumper from the factory and install it at the facility.

This is for a potential buy at a dealership near me. I'm also thinking of hiring a third party inspection as well to inspect the vehicle. Any good recommendations? I was looking at Drivetrain.live for a third party vehicle inspection.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I don't see any mention of a front fascia replacement.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't see any mention of a front fascia replacement.
This looks like all warranty work. An accident would not be covered under warranty.

My thoughts? They've replaced TWO Control Assemblies, Instrument Panel plus several other instrument and infotainment components. This indicates to me they have a problem they are having trouble fixing and they are throwing parts at it. They have also replaced the Module, Power Train Control and the Module, Body Control. I don't know what those are, but it sounds serious. And what's up with replacing the brake rotors after 5,000 miles?

Personally, I would pass on this car.

I don't know where you got the confidential report, but if the selling dealer did not disclose all these problems to you up front I would give them a pass, too.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
^^ what he says....
Dealer might have trully changed the bumper without records but not disclosing the changes of so many crucial subsystems on a car is a sign of a lemon....car was probably the whole time registered to dealer so no records of it being a lemon exist however this confidential report shows that car has an underlying problem that is causing all these failiures (maybe wiring loom is weak etc)....I would personally stay away from it too....how did you obtain this confidential report?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heres the Carfax report on it. https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=ZARFAEAV1H7518898&partner=WDB_0#undefined

The story does check out somewhat. The accident was reported in MI after the title was registered as a corporate fleet vehicle for FCA in 2 months. Production started on this vehicle in SEP 16, and finished January 17 so all those issues could have been issues with early production vehicles that they were still trying to sort out.

This particular car does have an interesting history, just trying to figure out if all these things are just normal or if they're serious enough to pass.

One would think that with all the work done on it, it's running fine now, but I still have to check it out in person.

I got the report via a dealer. I requested it, and they gave it to me.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
SW updates and glove box, hood seal were the issues with early production, changing BCM, Instrument panel, fuel level, PCM are signs of deeper issues unless they just couldnt figure out what is wrong and kept replacing parts....there is certainly risk that some underlying issue is stil lurking in its guts....electronic architecture of this car is so complex and entertwined that I can see how Alfa had problems pinpoint the issue clearly sometimes.....but decision is obviously yours to make....if it now works right, price is right and you are willing to take some risk, go for it....beyond that members here can not advise

·
Registered
316 Posts
True, everything might be fixed, but with no miles on the car after the latest round of replacements it is impossible to know. What we do know is that this has been a troublesome car. I would want to see some trouble-free miles on the car before buying. But that's just me, you may feel differently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts