Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Folks,
I have decided to purchase 2017 Giulia Ti AWD but i need some help in selecting packages and options.
I don't plan to wait a long time to build and order but pick one from dealer lot so i have to make some compromises.

I love the lusso package but my Questions is are the lusso seats more or less comfortable than the sport seats.I see that sport seats has better thigh support and side bolstering.Can some one chime in if lusso seats will be deal breaker for long inter state drives.

Second Question - how much a of a comfort and handling difference does the Active suspension and LSD Bring in. the criteria for me is as follow -
- would the standard suspension be unbearable for long interstate drives.would it be unbearable on bad roads?
- also in sport/dynamic mode much of a difference does active suspension make to handling.
- i want AWD as it definitely helps in snow and slippery conditions.also would AWD and LSD Be redundant as both send power to other wheels to manage the tractions.so what role does LSD play in a car that already has AWD.

So please help me decide whether i should get the sport seats and drop lusso package and how much of a deal breaker is Active suspension is?

·
Registered
646 Posts
The LSD helps it handle like a gem (but I am comparing to a non-LSD RWD.)

I Really dig the active cruise control now too. Use it everyday in traffic. Didn?t think I wanted it but glad I got it.

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
This is what I recommend:
Lusso Package -- excellent seats
Ti Performance Package -- need those paddles
Driver Assistance Static Package -- I need all the help I can get
Driver Assist Dynamic Plus Package -- I need all the help I can get

Although I have this, I would pass on the dual pane sun roof.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
I have a Q2 with active suspension and LSD. My car was at the dealership for a week to replace a faulty headlight unit and I had a loaner that did not have the options. Based on my comparison the active suspension feels like an entirely different car and is a dramatic improvement. The sport mode makes the car firmer and it handles more tightly in cornering . Its something you will notice in aggressive driving but not as much in daily driving beyond the firmer ride. I love the sport seats and find them very comfortable. Certainly much more so than the base seats which I find uncomfortable. I do hear that the lusso seats are comfortable as well but I don't have experience with those seats.

Reactions: Greg Stidsen

·
Registered
332 Posts
i have some of the same questions as I'm about to put in my 2018 order. 1. understanding the true benefit of LSD in AWD vs. AWD alone. 2. adaptive dampers: does the hardest setting handle better than regular suspension? The regular suspension is compliant and is nothing close to unbearable. if you have seriously bumpy local roads, it could be annoying.

my experience is that the base seats are hard and uncomfortable and hurt the ass. When i adjust the height to help that my thighs end up strained. the sport seats help with some of that but they arent great. the sport seats hold you in very well, however. No experience yet with lusso seats but they seem interesting with multiple angled adjustment and quality components however I don't like the idea of loosing the sport appearance.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Op it seem to me that you are looking at a lot of long interstate drives....

If correct, Lusso seats are for you, sport seats are better in spirited drives in corners because of better side bolstering but lusso seats are in no way Buick lazy boys, they are super adjustable, comfortable, covered in premium leather and offer decent bolstering

Same with suspension, if you are looking at long interstate drives you actually want comfort of standard suspension, sport suspension feels very similar on soft setting and in D you can have added sportiness when wanted

Based on your preferences I would recommend Lusso pack, Ti sport pack (LSD and active suspension) plus active and passive assistance (radar controled cruise control is mega on very long hwy drives)

Sunroof in giulia is awesome dual that adds gorgeous light to particularly crema interior but if you dont care much about that skip it, it adds weight, limits headroom (if you are very tall) and is not particularly cheap either

However from my experience it might be hard to find lusso without sunroof and with sport pack off the lot, maybe 18 allocations will be better

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
This is what I recommend:
Lusso Package -- excellent seats
Ti Performance Package -- need those paddles
Driver Assistance Static Package -- I need all the help I can get
Driver Assist Dynamic Plus Package -- I need all the help I can get

Although I have this, I would pass on the dual pane sun roof.
The dual pane sunroof was a must for me.

Also was heated seats. Even though I did not get the cold weather package, I did get heated seats installed by the dealer.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The wife and I drove 2 cars, one day, back to back, many hours, over 200 miles.
We are both of average size and weight. About 5'8", 5'10", 120-185lbs.
We started out with the sport seats. Felt great for about 20-30 minutes. Very sporty and supportive. Then, the passenger realized that there was no place to put your elbows (not so much a problem for the driver, hands on the wheel). Also, the sporty and supportive, became tight and confining. We switched cars into the Lusso package. MUCH better. Plenty supportive for typical fast and sporty driving.
See my posts in 2018 ORDERED DELIVERED, 2018 DISCUSSION threads, for all the options that we chose.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I can't see how the Lusso seats are more supportive than the sports seats, unless you can't adjust them to fit you. I really like the sports seats and the way they fit.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I can't see how the Lusso seats are more supportive than the sports seats, unless you can't adjust them to fit you. I really like the sports seats and the way they fit.
They are not more supportive than sport seats but they are supportive nontheless, they are however extremely comfortable on long runs...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome.thanks for all your suggestios.
looks like i will go with lusso package seats.

Can some one clarify the effect of LSD on AWD.
RWD i understand that LSD will benefit a lot.
But considering AWD and LSD both manage traction?how far will LSD help in AWD?

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
Don’t miss out on the Best Option

You’d think I’m getting a commission for these kind of comments, but I’m not. These are my own experiences having driven a Q4 with the sport performance package and a standard Q4.

Without a doubt the LSD and all wheel drive work superbly together. complaints about traction control not being able to be disabled are offset by wwhat seems to be special programming to support the LSD. There’s a high likelihood that the video which shows the Alfa running up the ski hill like a jack rabbit was done with that combination, and not with special software from the factory as was speculated on this forum.

My personal opinion is the real gem of the package, at the ridiculously low price of $1200, is the QV inspired active suspension. It is not an active suspension in the sense that it adjusts ride height, rather it dynamically adjust the dampening on all four corners the car as the car engages in cornering, braking and acceleration. The fact is that the car has an uncanny ability to stay flat and planted in hard cornering, reduces dive during braking maneuvers, and refuses to squat when accelerating out of turns. I feel that it is active in Dynamic and Natural modes and allows the car to have a softer more compliant ride in Natural, Advanced efficiency and Dynamic with the soft setting override. this technology is based on advanced adjustment suspension physics, the use of five accelerometers strategically placed at the corners and in the center of the car and dynamic adjustustment that makes changes many times per second. It’s nothing short of amazing!

here is a white paper on this technology: http://www.ukintpress-conferences.com/conf/08vdx_conf/pdf/day_1/grecogiordano.pdf

I find the static settings on the non-sport performance package car to be slightly firmer than the standard settings in natural mode, and also think the ride is slightly harsher in that basic model. I drove the standard Q4 for about 200 miles, so this was not a short test drive. The dealership was kind enough to loan me that car while mine was receiving software updates. Standard vehicle also had 18 inch wheels/45 series tires which are typically softer than the 19 inch/40 series on my Giulia Ti Sport Q4.

Hope this helps,

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts

The simple summary is LSD manages left-right traction while AWD manages front-rear traction. Without traction control, an AWD vehicle with open differentials is effectively 2 wheel drive while adding a rear LSD makes it 3 wheel drive.

The slightly more detailed summary is that the traction/stability control does not need to interact as harshly with the vehicle when there is an LSD installed, yielding the observation that Giulia with LSD can be driven more aggressively.

FWIW: I ordered a Ti Q4 with sport everything and pretty much all options except the HK audio and sunroof. IMO, the 19" sport wheels look much better than any of the 18" wheels; I don't think there is a significant handling difference. The ride quality and road noise might be a little better with the 18" wheels, but I don't know.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
With regards to wheels, handling is a direct result of sidewall flex (or lack thereof), wheel width and weight. Plan for what you intend to do with the car. Track use... is it road course, autocross or 1/4 mile? Road course needs it all; wide wheels, low sidewall, lightest weight. Autocross is much the same, although weight isn't as critical because autocross is always on uniform flat surfaces like parking lots, and autocross is mostly momentum driving. 1/4 mile needs small diameter wheels with tall sidewall tires in back and wide as possible, with narrow small wheels in front; not something sensible for the street.

For a street car, big wheels with low profile tires might look good to some, but there's a price to pay for that look. Big wheels are heavier than smaller wheels. That affects acceleration, braking and cornering. Low profile tires increase the responsiveness of the steering, but they also increase the harshness of the ride. They tend to transmit more road noise into the car as well.

If you could drive a car with 19's and low profile tires for a few miles, then come back and switch those out with lighter 17's and higher profile tires, you would be amazed at the difference. The car would suddenly feel quicker, quieter and smoother.

It depends on what's the most important to you; looks, or ride and performance. 18's are in the middle, which might be an acceptable compromise. I have the 17's with 50 profile sidewall tires (225/50-17), and the driving experience is just simply beautiful. It was great with the factory 18's (225/40-18), but now it's even better. When cornering, turn-in is like silk. The handling of this car is so elegant, refined and competent, words can't adequately describe it. Love this car!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sport seats are amazing in my opinion. They are some of the best available on a production car. They look amazing too. I am 31 years old, 6 feet tall, 185 pounds for reference.

Q4 with LSD here and love it. Car always feels planted and traction is always there even in snow. The active suspension is nice to have. I drive in N most days but swithc to D for twisty on ramps. The car handles amazing in both settings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts