Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have a 2019 Giulia and the battery died.

I tried to replace it myself .

I could not take off the plate off the positive terminal. Please help. There are no clamps.
There's a 10mm bolt on the positive clamp. Take a closer look at your own pictures. Its there.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,147 Posts
There's a 10mm bolt on the positive clamp. Take a closer look at your own pictures. Its there.
The positive clamp is closed with a lever/cam. The lever is tucked in where it cannot be seen in the pictures.

It is shown properly in the YouTube video.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Why aren't you having this done at the Dealership, under warranty?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
How about a jump start? You can use the posts under the hood, or back at the battery.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
@alfa_164s , remember, not so easy to move these cars if they are not running - no ignition. I still believe a jump start is easiest. Then drive to dealer for warranty battery replacement.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,147 Posts
Hmmm, so somewhere along the way Alfa replaced that convenient lever operated clamp with a more conventional clamp. My car has a quick disconnect on the negative terminal which appears to be the case for the OPs car as well. Just push a button on the disconnect and it comes off. Sparks when disconnecting the negative terminal indicate something is drawing power. Once the negative terminal is disconnected and the lead is held away from the negative battery post the positive side should not spark. You only need to be careful that you do not let any metallic thing complete a circuit between the positive and negative.

The power distribution unit in my MY2018 Giulia is held to the battery with 2 small screws. The screws go into the red plastic piece and force a plastic pin to expand inside of a matching recess in the top of the battery. IIRC once you remove the screws you can also lift out the red plastic piece and then the whole power distribution unit should lift off, complete with wires still attached.

Also IIRC, my MY2018 does not have that sensor cable running to the power distribution box (they relocated the IBS to the positive terminal?). You might need to disconnect it to be able to get the power distribution box out of the way of removing the battery.

Don't forget: assume everything around a lead acid battery is contaminated with lead and acid. Always wash up thoroughly after handling this stuff, even if you wear gloves.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
But don't I need to take off the distribution plate first?
No, Its part of the terminal assembly...

Also in the negative terminal the attached part flew sparks

Now I'm afraid to use my hand to put the screw back on.
That nut in the picture did not need to be removed, that is a quick connect and just slides off after pushing the release button on the negative cable end..and dont worry about sparks..its 12 volts and wont do anything to you, but is is an indication that you have a draw on the battery

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2, Vesuvio/Red, Perf Pkg, CF all over.
176 Posts
Here is a link showing how to remove the battery plate

1 - 20 of 22 Posts