Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm at Charlotte motor speedway for a track night event. Did warm up laps with the novice group and got a bunch of warnings. Service throttle, ATC, ESC light is lite and none of DNA is working, and I'm not getting full throttle.

Anyone know how to reset/clear this while I'm here or am I just out of luck???

·
Registered
443 Posts
So I'm at Charlotte motor speedway for a track night event. Did warm up laps with the novice group and got a bunch of warnings. Service throttle, ATC, ESC light is lite and none of DNA is working, and I'm not getting full throttle.

Have you shut her down yet?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Have you shut her down yet?
Yes, left it a few minutes ago for a driver's meeting. Haven't gone back to see if it has self cleared.

·
Registered
876 Posts
i bet you did some left foot braking ??

·
Registered
691 Posts
Might try lifting the battery cable to reset, although that might make the car have to relearn some of the settings, so not sure how that would affect race mode. Sounds like a low battery voltage situation....don't suppose you have a charger handy.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i bet you did some left foot braking ??
No it was just warm up novice laps that I jumped into.

As far as temp. It's 95 or so in the air. So probably 100+ on track.

I have never been annoyed with this car. Now I am fuming. Waste of lots of money to do this to not even get to really push it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might try lifting the battery cable to reset, although that might make the car have to relearn some of the settings, so not sure how that would affect race mode. Sounds like a low battery voltage situation....don't suppose you have a charger handy.
I tried disconnecting but no luck.

I don't have a charger with me. I'll be really annoying if it's just a **** battery issue.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I tried disconnecting but no luck.

I don't have a charger with me. I'll be really annoying if it's just a **** battery issue.
For better or worse this is probably the case.

95 ambient air temp will be 120+ track temp in many cases. This is brutal on a battery especially the ones they put in the 2017s.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Sounds like a low battery voltage situation....

Nothing personal, but it's getting annoying to see this excuse made every time the car chucks a fit.
No offense taken, but it's been documented by several that those exact warning lights were the result of a faulty battery. A car does all sorts of strange things when the cpu receives a brown out or loses a ground. The fact that there are known issues with a run of 2017 batteries then it's not a huge leap to suggest that's the culprit. It's not an excuse but a logical deduction.

Reactions: Bender

·
Registered
443 Posts
No offense taken, but it's been documented by several that those exact warning lights were the result of a faulty battery. A car does all sorts of strange things when the cpu receives a brown out or loses a ground. The fact that there are known issues with a run of 2017 batteries then it's not a huge leap to suggest that's the culprit. It's not an excuse but a logical deduction.
Exactly. It's crummy there hasn't been a recall on them as it's a common culprit to MANY issues. Would be a cheap thing for them to be proactive about and solve lots of interweb grief.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No offense taken, but it's been documented by several that those exact warning lights were the result of a faulty battery. A car does all sorts of strange things when the cpu receives a brown out or loses a ground. The fact that there are known issues with a run of 2017 batteries then it's note a huge leap to suggest that's the culprit. It's not an excuse but a logical deduction.
Exactly. It's crummy there hasn't been a recall on them as it's a common culprit to MANY issues. Would be a cheap thing for them to be proactive about and solve lots of interweb grief.
I suspect it is plausible that maybe the battery overheated.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
So no race and you paid all the fees insurance etc?? That flat out stinks. I told my husband who wants to try it very slow for fun. Wasn’t happy to hear about your experience. So sorry. You have every right to be PO’d. Are you expected to pack an extra battery?

·
Registered
691 Posts
No offense taken, but it's been documented by several that those exact warning lights were the result of a faulty battery. A car does all sorts of strange things when the cpu receives a brown out or loses a ground. The fact that there are known issues with a run of 2017 batteries then it's note a huge leap to suggest that's the culprit. It's not an excuse but a logical deduction.
Did it recover or are you still DOA?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So no race and you paid all the fees insurance etc?? That flat out stinks. I told my husband who wants to try it very slow for fun. Wasn’t happy to hear about your experience. So sorry. You have every right to be PO’d. Are you expected to pack an extra battery?
Did it recover or are you still DOA?
So didn't get to run my car, so yes, about $500 out of pocket with nothing to show for it. C'est la Vie. Really blows.

My friend stepped in to be a hero and let me drive his car in the second session. So I got to do laps in a manual vw golf r. That was a blast. I sent him a $100 Starbucks gift card on the way home. Got his brakes warm. 575 degrees after a cool down lap after driving past a wrecked M3... There was also a wrecked Mercedes C63. Oops!

Didnt need to recover as limp mode just limits throttle. Was able to drive it so now to fix it. Sledgehammer anyone?

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
So didn't get to run my car, so yes, about $500 out of pocket with nothing to show for it. C'est la Vie. Really blows.

My friend stepped in to be a hero and let me drive his car in the second session. So I got to do laps in a manual vw golf r. That was a blast. I sent him a $100 Starbucks gift card on the way home. Got his brakes warm. 575 degrees after a cool down lap after driving past a wrecked M3... There was also a wrecked Mercedes C63. Oops!

Didnt need to recover as limp mode just limits throttle. Was able to drive it so now to fix it. Sledgehammer anyone?
I think the worst part are the stares you get from the peeps around you..."Oh the Alfa is out of commission?" But at least you made the best of it and had fun!! that's what matters :) Goodness, C63 wreck would be a very very expensive fix.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
There is not a known issue with a run of 2017 batteries, it is a rumor. I’ve not seen any substantive proof of such a thing, anyway, but did find a story attributing the claim of a bad battery batch to some service tech in Oz.

Batteries have failed, but there is no proof it is a battery manufacturing defect. In fact, for a car with known electronics issues— the TSBs are there to support that assertion— it seems just as, if not more, likely that there are onboard issues causing battery failures rather than battery construction itself.

We’ll see down the road if recent battery replacements in situations where there is no additional servicing or updating to electrical components or software prove to be durable fixes or recurring problems.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I assume you werent running with a low tank of gas? Less than 1/4 full would have thrown the symptoms you mention and is a well known issue especially on heavily banked tracks.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts