Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am angry with myself! Embarrassed as well. The past 9 years, I've had lower profile tires on my daily driver sedan, but never as low as the Giulia.

Went to the hardware store this afternoon. I was already far from the store doors in the lot, but "to be safe", I pulled in to an end spot with curb on my right, rather than backing in with the curb on my left where I could keep an eye on it backing up with the camera and the side mirror. Keeping in mind where I had parked when I was backing up, I thought I was clear of the curb before I turned steering wheel to the left, but apparently I was not. Had I backed out to the right, which would have taken me out of the lot "the long way", it never would've happened. My wife said "take it easy, Francis", and "nobody got hurt", but I'm still MAD at ME!

Posting pictures, has anyone had this kind of damage repaired? I hope the Carabinieri don't pick me up for molesting a Giulia!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Sorry for your incident! I had that happen to me (not in Giulia) and it is frustrating......

Any reputable high end wheel shop should be able to repair and make it look as good as new..... good luck!

·
Registered
288 Posts
You can definitely get that looking brand spanking new but as said above, take it to someone reputable and not just your regular run of the mill shop as you want them to do a darn good job.

It's often a good idea to see what kind of work they've done before. But I do see why you're so upset as I've done it before and oh boy, I was thrown off for a solid 2 weeks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sorry for your incident! I had that happen to me (not in Giulia) and it is frustrating......

Any reputable high end wheel shop should be able to repair and make it look as good as new..... good luck!
Yeah, that's the "best" way to do it. Of course you can always try to find some very close matching touch up paint and have at it......

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
I am angry with myself! Embarrassed as well. The past 9 years, I've had lower profile tires on my daily driver sedan, but never as low as the Giulia.

Went to the hardware store this afternoon. I was already far from the store doors in the lot, but "to be safe", I pulled in to an end spot with curb on my right, rather than backing in with the curb on my left where I could keep an eye on it backing up with the camera and the side mirror. Keeping in mind where I had parked when I was backing up, I thought I was clear of the curb before I turned steering wheel to the left, but apparently I was not. Had I backed out to the right, which would have taken me out of the lot "the long way", it never would've happened. My wife said "take it easy, Francis", and "nobody got hurt", but I'm still MAD at ME!

Posting pictures, has anyone had this kind of damage repaired? I hope the Carabinieri don't pick me up for molesting a Giulia!
Sorry to see that. This has happened to me in the past but the rims have been lighter in color so the scratches didn't look so bad. Unfortunately the dark 5-hole rims being dark will magnify all scratches. :crying:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to see that. This has happened to me in the past but the rims have been lighter in color so the scratches didn't look so bad. Unfortunately the dark 5-hole rims being dark will magnify all scratches. :crying:
Exactly! Every time I go into the garage, it's glaring at me. Shouting even: "dummy"!!

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Yes I did that to the right rear rim...and I have a slight bend in the front driver rim.
I am bringing the car to ProFormance in New Rochelle NY to have them fix it....waiting to get the car back from its film wrap...
Will post pictures of the fix when done...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd appreciate seeing those pictures. I know it's just a material thing, can he fixed etc. but boy I'm still mad at myself.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Seriously! I had to pay 4800 more to get these tires instead of the one that i got with the vehicle. I would literally cry. It's heart touching. You just scared me to take this car out. I think I will use the original tires on regular basis and use these only if i travel out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes I did that to the right rear rim...and I have a slight bend in the front driver rim.
I am bringing the car to ProFormance in New Rochelle NY to have them fix it....waiting to get the car back from its film wrap...
Will post pictures of the fix when done...
What film wrap are you doing, Is it the whole car? How much would it cost? I had my bumper, front of the hood, front of the fenders and the side mirrors wrapped.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Don't beat yourself up! I've done it on both Ferraris! Much more difficult in a lower car. :( A wheel shop woudl be best but I did fixed them myself.

1. Get the paint number for the wheel color (may be hard, it's new)
2. Buy some metal filler at an auto store. I have a whole tube now
3. Then buy some wheel clear coat, and primer
4. Clean and sand the area
5. Apply filler
6. Sand and prime, tack off
7. Spray and feather color
8. Spray clear
9. Wet sand and polish.

GM silver stock wheels on the 348 needed filler and color. About a 3 inch gouge in lip
Spun aluminum lip on OZs required grinding, sanding and wet sanding. Clear coat (not done and don't notice) Balanced fine.

Bonus:
Skip that extra beer when out in the car ;)
Find the shop anyway for bend repairs. I've straightened my old wheels on the Miata 3 times!

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I have done this and got my wheel repaired. The solution is to get scuffs by Rimblades. I got them in black and they actually look great on my 19" phonedial wheels. I was surprised how good they look actually and they really really work. They are known not to stick on too well and I do think it is all about how well you clean the wheel before application. THat said I just had one come off on the highway after 2 months. It is true that this is the one I did the poorest job applying initially. Still, at 49$ per set of 4 it is totally worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have done this and got my wheel repaired. The solution is to get scuffs by Rimblades. I got them in black and they actually look great on my 19" phonedial wheels. I was surprised how good they look actually and they really really work. They are known not to stick on too well and I do think it is all about how well you clean the wheel before application. THat said I just had one come off on the highway after 2 months. It is true that this is the one I did the poorest job applying initially. Still, at 49$ per set of 4 it is totally worth it.
I'll look into those. Probably nothing will protect the wheel if hit hard, but I barely "kissed" the curb. Getting repair estimates by email today, will look into those for protection after the fix is made. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
What film wrap are you doing, Is it the whole car? How much would it cost? I had my bumper, front of the hood, front of the fenders and the side mirrors wrapped.
I am doing what they call a track pack. Front bumper, fenders, hood, side view mirrors, rear quarter & lower CF fascia...
Sundek film....quoted $2100 car will be ready tomorrow..ready for Monday at MMC

as an aside...I suppose I am an old enough bunny to remember that we never put stuff on our cars for track days....drove what you brung...then one day a fellow showed up with this blue tape al over the front of their car...LOL....what's that??? is that painter's tape??? doesn't it ruin the paint with the glue???.....LOL...cars then started showing up with blue painters tape everywhere....for what?? maybe $10 all in for the tape??
Now I'm paying a couple of g for a wrap....Man did I get old...
M

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update on the wheel repair. Only two places in central Ohio: one place didn't want to repair the wheel, no paint code for it in their files as yet. The other place is a few miles from my house, went there and they say "$100". Can leave the car or wait for it "about an hour". They will scuff clear coat on the entire wheel, sand damage and smooth it, mix up paint to match, paint the affected area. Then they clear coat the entire wheel. AR dealer sends this work out, probably to one of the two places in town. They have sophisticated looking tire machine, paint booths, small ovens to dry/cure the paints that are applied. Shop looked clean, as did the employees.

If I want to get a new wheel (which would give me the damaged one to use to rotate tires myself), $509 plus tax. I would put the old tire on the new wheel and buy a cheapie tire online and mount to damaged wheel. I could use that wheel/tire to put on the car when I take off the first tire to be moved when rotating. I normally use the spare tire when rotating tires on other vehicles we've owned. I will probably go for the repair. Maybe pick up a set of steel wheels for winter tires.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I did the same thing a month ago in a different car and just got super lucky that I was able to get the wheel turned just enough to save metal/curb contact. Like *just* enough. So we all do this kind of thing in our attempts to keep our cars safe from careless people.

Well, other careless people. :)

You should be able to get that fixed very well.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Good news. I'm curious about the scuff guards. Any chance door edge guard would fit on the lip? Some tires have a lip guard. My old Yokohamas had them and current Dunlops do but it is more subtle. It's basically a thick strip of rubber on the tire sidewall. But this still might not be enough in these cases.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am doing what they call a track pack. Front bumper, fenders, hood, side view mirrors, rear quarter & lower CF fascia...

as an aside...I suppose I am an old enough bunny to remember that we never put stuff on our cars for track days....drove what you brung...then one day a fellow showed up with this blue tape al over the front of their car...LOL....what's that??? is that painter's tape??? doesn't it ruin the paint with the glue???.....LOL...cars then started showing up with blue painters tape everywhere....for what?? maybe $10 all in for the tape??
M
I am afraid of scratches made by some people. So I wanted to have a wrap all over the car so that the scratches won't go deep and scratch my paint.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts

M
M[/QUOTE]

Hey,
would you believe that my car has a 3M wrap on the the front, the front fenders and all 4 doors? Love it. Cost me $1600. Noticably easier to clean than the back/trunk of the car too. My 69 spider is COMPLETELY wrapped. That said, I still used the painters tape for autoX -sills aren't wrapped and cones could do damage (as you might have seen n the pic) ....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Repair done this morning and it looks perfect. They had to sand the wheel down about 1/16th of an inch; enough to smooth out the gouges the curb made. Because the area is all the same color then clear-coated, visually it can't be detected. Very slight flattened area that can be barely felt if I run my finger over the wheel. $100 flat including tax. Guaranteed "for life". They've been in business 30 years, so they ought to be around if problems with finish, etc. in the future. I'm very pleased overall, have now stopped kicking myself!! The light area where the gouge was is light reflecting off the clear coat. In reality, it is the same dark color as rest of the wheel:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts