Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm mainly here to receive any possibile updates on whether alfa will bring the manual giulia to the UK. Otherwise, hello.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Your guess is as good as anyone elses!...LOL
personally I believe Alfa will phase out the manual altogether as many other makers are doing or have done already...just a lack of people ordering them what a crying shame!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat. Lurking here, waiting for some news that will push me over the edge. I drove the Giulia and liked it but with an automatic it was not engaging enough for me. For a car to be fun, it has to demand more from the driver and an automatic makes it too easy.

I've always driven manual cars as my daily driver up until a year ago when I fell for a new BMW m235i. I was taken by the refinement, the power and handling of the car but there were no manuals available locally. I convinced myself that I would learn to like the auto transmission since it was a "good" automatic with paddles. I was wrong. I still miss the manual.

If Alfa doesn't bring the manual to the US, I may end up getting a Stelvio TI and then buy a used manual something for a fun car. Then I'll probably end up driving the fun car most of the time :)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome :)

It's hard to say for sure what AR will do. They built a few Giulias with a manual, then dropped it saying it (the manual transmission) didn't perform to their satisfaction. Absolutely no word on any effort to find the right transmission.

Having driven several Giulias with the automatic w/paddle shifters, I'd say that's a pretty good way to go. Depending on the option packages and DNA mode, it can feel and perform like a dual clutch job.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome.
As a lifelong manual car driver I'm about to find out whether the Giulia paddles are 'good enough' or whether this is one really expensive mistake. I would say that the couple of reviews I have seen where the Giulia manual is mentioned say that its not a nice positive manual box. But then being in the US its not like there is any possibility of finding out for myself. However its also fair to say that even for cars like BWM where you can still get manuals my local dealer insists you buy on faith because there are zero new models available to test drive with manual transmission they are all special orders.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Welcome.
As a lifelong manual car driver I'm about to find out whether the Giulia paddles are 'good enough' or whether this is one really expensive mistake. I would say that the couple of reviews I have seen where the Giulia manual is mentioned say that its not a nice positive manual box. But then being in the US its not like there is any possibility of finding out for myself. However its also fair to say that even for cars like BWM where you can still get manuals my local dealer insists you buy on faith because there are zero new models available to test drive with manual transmission they are all special orders.
Based on what others say in terms of impressiveness, the paddles in the Giulia are more impressive than the manual in a Giulia. I have obviously not driven a manual Giulia but I have driven one with paddles and I thought it was very impressive how quickly it shifts. I don't think there will be a true resolution to this argument however as some people will always want a manual and others (such as myself) really don't care.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts