Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi:

Just took delivery of a 2018 Giulia TI Sport in red on red with the dark 19” wheels. Turned in a 2013 BMW 335is on it. Really love my new car, especially the paddle shifters. The low redline will take some getting used to. It drives.... perfectly. Love the sport seats as well.

My other car is a 1972 MGB. I’m wondering if I am the only guy in America whose only two cars are Italian and British. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I do have one question -my manual is totally silent as to break in procedures. Searched here and did not see anything (perhaps I am missing it). Does anyone have suggestions on this, besides the obvious of not dogging it? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Welcome! Generally, just keep out of full boost and stay off the redline for the first 1k miles. In other words, do not drive super aggressively. My personal break in was to not drive with the cruise control on either. Varied RPM's most of the time. Enjoy!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Welcome fellow triangle resident and congrats on your new car! I'm also moving from a BMW to Alfa as my daily. Mine was a m235i. I test drove a 335is at one point. I liked the DCT in it.
I live in Apex. Maybe I'll see you around.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to you both and especially for the break in advice. Similar when I broke in the new engine on the MGB.

Verrili, I actually live in Cary (grew up in Raleigh), so we are not far away from each other. The 335is was a lot of fun but kept having issues with the injectors- lots of throttle lag. But I test drove the Giulia and just ... wow, this thing is beautiful. Bite-the-back-of-your-hand beautiful as Jeremy Clarkson would say.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Another triangle person!

I didn’t hit red or really get it above 4-4.5k rpms for around 1500 Miles. Most of my driving at that time was in A or N mode. After that I let her rip and she was sure to pleasure. Hard to say if any of this break in crap is for real (esp on modern autos) but I do so nonetheless.

Hope you enjoy the car NC has some great roads for the driver in you.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just went above 1000 miles. If it wasn't for my wife trying out the acceleration, all would be normal revs! Darn that ole corvette blood... Salesman said the break in instruction were 'leave lot, drive hard...enjoy'!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi:

Just took delivery of a 2018 Giulia TI Sport in red on red with the dark 19” wheels. Turned in a 2013 BMW 335is on it. Really love my new car, especially the paddle shifters. The low redline will take some getting used to. It drives.... perfectly. Love the sport seats as well.

My other car is a 1972 MGB. I’m wondering if I am the only guy in America whose only two cars are Italian and British. :)
Congrats. That's MGB and Alfa combo shows excellent taste.
I had thought about getting a 335. How does it compare to the Guilia?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I just turned 2,000 miles on mine. Absolutely loved every minute of driving it. I noticed at around 1,500 miles the car seemed to become a little more responsive to the throttle. The transmission in particular now seems to shift much more smoothly, especially when I'm suddenly slowing down. Besides the engine, this particular trans seems to need a breaking-in period too.

It was the test drive that got me, but if it had been the way the car is now? I might not have left the dealer without it. As it was, it only took me a few days to make the decision to buy.

Welcome to the magic!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats. That's MGB and Alfa combo shows excellent taste.
I had thought about getting a 335. How does it compare to the Guilia?
Thanks.

I don’t have direct experience with the E90 335 as the 335is has a different motor - twin turbo N54 as opposed to twin scroll N55 (a version of which is in the current M2). I did have 335 brakes which were very good though I twice warped rotors at the track. Ballistic acceleration and excellent handling, but the Giulia is more fun to drive as it’s much less ponderous and numb-feeling. The Giulia drives like my old E30 318is. I love it. It’s also prettier in my view and that it’s much more distinctive is beyond dispute. Right now I’m not missing the BMW one bit; it’s my guess that a lot of BMWs will be turned in for Giulias.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just turned 2,000 miles on mine. Absolutely loved every minute of driving it. I noticed at around 1,500 miles the car seemed to become a little more responsive to the throttle. The transmission in particular now seems to shift much more smoothly, especially when I'm suddenly slowing down. Besides the engine, this particular trans seems to need a breaking-in period too.

It was the test drive that got me, but if it had been the way the car is now? I might not have left the dealer without it. As it was, it only took me a few days to make the decision to buy.

Welcome to the magic!
Thanks. Great car and you guys seem to have a great community here; I very much appreciate the welcome.

Re throttle change - Wondering if the Giulia throttle adapts to your driving habits like the BMWs supposedly do?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks.

I don’t have direct experience with the E90 335 as the 335is has a different motor - twin turbo N54 as opposed to twin scroll N55 (a version of which is in the current M2). I did have 335 brakes which were very good though I twice warped rotors at the track. Ballistic acceleration and excellent handling, but the Giulia is more fun to drive as it’s much less ponderous and numb-feeling. The Giulia drives like my old E30 318is. I love it. It’s also prettier in my view and that it’s much more distinctive is beyond dispute. Right now I’m not missing the BMW one bit; it’s my guess that a lot of BMWs will be turned in for Giulias.
Got it, thanks!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks. Great car and you guys seem to have a great community here; I very much appreciate the welcome.

Re throttle change - Wondering if the Giulia throttle adapts to your driving habits like the BMWs supposedly do?
In my experience it does, but I'm not sure for how long it retains the setting before reverting to stock.
For example if you start driving aggressively (if the accelerometers detect significant changes in g) you'll notice that the pedals become more sensitive and the gears more aggressive.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome :smile2:
Congrats :grin2:

Yes, it's a learning ECU. Your car is still breaking-in too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I did notice the start/stop is less jerky after a few thousand kms then when it was brand new. It used to lurch me forward but now it's pretty smooth and livable. Sometimes i actually leave it on now on purpose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome :smile2:
Congrats :grin2:

Yes, it's a learning ECU. Your car is still breaking-in too.
Thanks. Yeah, re breaking in, ever since the first day when I was “testing” the paddle shifters I’ve driven the car as moderately as possible with of course varying RPMs.

If it’s going to drive even better after breaking in well, I’m even more pleased.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! I also have an 81 Fiat Spider (original owner). The Spider is better looking but nothing beats the X for fun.

Well, if you ever want to sell it, drop me a line.

A kid in high school with me had a new (at the time) X 1/9 Bertone. Went for a couple joyrides in it. Naturally, I wanted to kick out the door and take his car, but that would have drawn unwelcome attention from the authorities.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
what year is your x 1/9? 1987?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts