Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
So funny! Love the reds. My Vesuvio Gray Giulia has the same wheels and the same red leather interior and red brake calipers. I traded in my Grigio Fiat Abarth with dark wheels and the same red leather interior and red brake calipers. I asked my wife is she thought anyone would notice I had a new car since everything about the two looked the same — she just laughed.

Stopped in to visit with an old friend today, and by god, he did not know I had traded cars!!! Obviously, that friend only vaguely even realizes that cars do actually come in different colors. ;)

It's difficult to believe you're even old enough to have a driver's license, but at least you're not wearing red stiletto-heeled CFM shoes! Don't ask.

Matchbox made a 2016 red Giulia Quadrifoglio. (Hot Wheels size) You can still buy them online, so I did, even though it will never become my Vesuvio Gray. But I found a set of replacement wheels that are exactly correct Alfa Romeo wheels like our cars have, which may have cost more than the Matchbox Giulia in the first place! But this is my forte. I disassembled the car, painted the interior flat red, like our leather, painted the roof black, like our sunroofs, and will post a photo soon.

If you'd like one, I'd be happy to do the wheel and tire swapping, the painting and such for no more than the cost of the car and wheels to you. The only problem is the wheels are the silver version, and it wasn't until yesterday that I realized the wheels can be taken apart so I could paint them correctly dark gray metallic! They even have red brake calipers, just like our actual cars do!

FYI — I used to do this to Matchbox Honda Elements back when I was an owner. But I only did it for females, and back then, I don't think there were "expensive" aftermarket wheels available. But I could paint them in their appropriate colors back then. Now, the headlights and such are tiny decals, so it's not possible to have anything but a red Matchbox Giulia. Just your luck. Let me know if you want one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is awesome. Where did you find the wheels? I have that Matchbox and my Giulia is red, I would love to do that too.
OK. Here is my "recipe" and "parts (ingredient) list":

If your Giulia is red, you're in luck! If your Giulia isn't red, you're screwed, but you can still build a kick-ass red Matchbox Giulia Quadrifoglio, and claim "I always wanted this red one, but, but...

It's unlikely you can paint the car any other color because the headlights, grill, taillights, and license plate are decals, and unless you're an expert with an airbrush, you'll just muck it up. So this is for clubfeet, like me.

First, carefully drill out the two rivets on the bottom that hold the car together. This took me longer than any of the other steps because it was freaking me out that it took so long, because I like to begin these projects carefully! If you wish, now is the time to paint the interior flat red with Testor's flat red enamel. Two coats will look better, and don't paint the floor mats red! Nor the space behind the rear headrests!

Next, paint the front grill and rear belly pan flat black. If you wish, paint the four Quadrifoglio tailpipes silver, but you better not have the shakes! You can always cover your silver overpainting with more flat black.

Now it's time to remove the original wheels and axles — use a Xuron nipper (or equivalent) to cut the axle apart. You'll never need those wheels or axles again, so just snip away!

So, now you need to go to eBay and search for 1/64th scale wheels. I've enclosed a photo of the wheels and their part number on this post. I can't remember, but two-three months ago I think I paid about $8-12.00 for the wheel and tire set, and they're worth every single penny!

Not only are the wheels exactly Alfa Romeo correct, they have red brake calipers, AND, I only discovered yesterday, if you cement the axle to the chassis, the calipers stay properly positioned, while the wheels still rotate!!!!! FFS!! How cool is that!? And the tires are actually rubber!!

Take a deep breath....exhale....I think the wheel/tire kit may have cost around $8+ including shipping from, where else? China. But mine arrived in less than two weeks, so be patient.

So, if you've got the wheels and tires, consider if you want them to remain in bright silver, or, if you wish, I'll tell you how to make them dark metallic, like my genuine Alfa 19" wheels. Use a pliers to gently push the included axle into one of the new wheels. When you feel resistance, stop. Push harder, and you'll pop out the wafer-thin wheel spokes! At this point, you could paint the spokes in dark metallic (don't recall the exact Testor's paint color name — there are several), but you should then also peel the very thin tires off the rims and paint the rims to match the spokes! This may be my next project challenge. Or it could become a disaster...? Dunno yet.

Now you need some serious glue — either Goop brand, or Walther's Goo. These bond metal to plastic (axle to chassis). They are the only two glues that will work to get the full effect of the brake calipers remaining correctly located. If you don't care if the calipers rotate with the wheels, you're a sick bastard who shouldn't be reading this in the first place! So, assuming your wheels are painted or stock, but you're ready for the next step, attach one wheel to one axle. Pass the axle through the chassis where they should go, and then press the other wheel onto the axle, but make sure the calipers are in the same position on BOTH sides of that axle!

Next, slather Goo or Goop over the axle and chassis in the center of the chassis. Let the glue dry for 4-6 hours. I know — an eternity. Check to make sure the red calipers are on the rear sides of both wheels!! Go look at your own car to confirm where the damned brake calipers are located! You can remove a wheel now to line up the calipers correctly, but only if the glue on the axles has dried enough!

Since I did this as a learning experience, I discovered that I'd applied glue too far outward, which affected the molded-in "axle alignment guides" on the bottom of the passenger compartment. I needed to then clip off the alignment guides to allow the whole interior of the car body to "sink" correctly down against the chassis correctly, while keeping the interior and windows up snug against the roof of the car body. And before reassembling the whole thing, paint your entire roof gloss black to simulate the sunroof you may or my not have!

If you have all the ingredients (paints, wheels and tires, ordinary pliers, wire nippers, metal-to-plastic glue (NOT superglue) and big tiny balls, you could do this in two days. Frankly, I'd give it two or three or four, but anybody with an ounce more patience than me can do this. No sweat. Have at it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh, I also painted the rear facing portion of the outside rear view mirrors silver...doh. AND, I almost forgot...you should add a tiny swipe of gloss black to the top of the rear deck-lid spoiler so it looks more correct! Like my actual, 100% scale spoiler. ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
OK. Here is my "recipe" and "parts (ingredient) list":

If your Giulia is red, you're in luck! If your Giulia isn't red, you're screwed, but you can still build a kick-ass red Matchbox Giulia Quadrifoglio, and claim "I always wanted this red one, but, but...

It's unlikely you can paint the car any other color because the headlights, grill, taillights, and license plate are decals, and unless you're an expert with an airbrush, you'll just muck it up. So this is for clubfeet, like me.

First, carefully drill out the two rivets on the bottom that hold the car together. This took me longer than any of the other steps because it was freaking me out that it took so long, because I like to begin these projects carefully! If you wish, now is the time to paint the interior flat red with Testor's flat red enamel. Two coats will look better, and don't paint the floor mats red! Nor the space behind the rear headrests!

Next, paint the front grill and rear belly pan flat black. If you wish, paint the four Quadrifoglio tailpipes silver, but you better not have the shakes! You can always cover your silver overpainting with more flat black.

Now it's time to remove the original wheels and axles — use a Xuron nipper (or equivalent) to cut the axle apart. You'll never need those wheels or axles again, so just snip away!

So, now you need to go to eBay and search for 1/64th scale wheels. I've enclosed a photo of the wheels and their part number on this post. I can't remember, but two-three months ago I think I paid about $8-12.00 for the wheel and tire set, and they're worth every single penny!

Not only are the wheels exactly Alfa Romeo correct, they have red brake calipers, AND, I only discovered yesterday, if you cement the axle to the chassis, the calipers stay properly positioned, while the wheels still rotate!!!!! FFS!! How cool is that!? And the tires are actually rubber!!

Take a deep breath....exhale....I think the wheel/tire kit may have cost around $8+ including shipping from, where else? China. But mine arrived in less than two weeks, so be patient.

So, if you've got the wheels and tires, consider if you want them to remain in bright silver, or, if you wish, I'll tell you how to make them dark metallic, like my genuine Alfa 19" wheels. Use a pliers to gently push the included axle into one of the new wheels. When you feel resistance, stop. Push harder, and you'll pop out the wafer-thin wheel spokes! At this point, you could paint the spokes in dark metallic (don't recall the exact Testor's paint color name — there are several), but you should then also peel the very thin tires off the rims and paint the rims to match the spokes! This may be my next project challenge. Or it could become a disaster...? Dunno yet.

Now you need some serious glue — either Goop brand, or Walther's Goo. These bond metal to plastic (axle to chassis). They are the only two glues that will work to get the full effect of the brake calipers remaining correctly located. If you don't care if the calipers rotate with the wheels, you're a sick bastard who shouldn't be reading this in the first place! So, assuming your wheels are painted or stock, but you're ready for the next step, attach one wheel to one axle. Pass the axle through the chassis where they should go, and then press the other wheel onto the axle, but make sure the calipers are in the same position on BOTH sides of that axle!

Next, slather Goo or Goop over the axle and chassis in the center of the chassis. Let the glue dry for 4-6 hours. I know — an eternity. Check to make sure the red calipers are on the rear sides of both wheels!! Go look at your own car to confirm where the damned brake calipers are located! You can remove a wheel now to line up the calipers correctly, but only if the glue on the axles has dried enough!

Since I did this as a learning experience, I discovered that I'd applied glue too far outward, which affected the molded-in "axle alignment guides" on the bottom of the passenger compartment. I needed to then clip off the alignment guides to allow the whole interior of the car body to "sink" correctly down against the chassis correctly, while keeping the interior and windows up snug against the roof of the car body. And before reassembling the whole thing, paint your entire roof gloss black to simulate the sunroof you may or my not have!

If you have all the ingredients (paints, wheels and tires, ordinary pliers, wire nippers, metal-to-plastic glue (NOT superglue) and big tiny balls, you could do this in two days. Frankly, I'd give it two or three or four, but anybody with an ounce more patience than me can do this. No sweat. Have at it!

View attachment 99009
You sir are sick. I applaud you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome! I have your 100 % exact twin!
Do you get tired of all the red? There's a used CPO one available with the options I want, but the red paint, calipers and interior seems a bit overwhelming to me. How do you feel about it now after owning it for a while?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts