Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been reading posts here in the forums for some months now and registered just today.

I live in the Netherlands (Holland to some) and ordered a Giulia Veloce (Ti Sport(?) AWD in the US) just before Christmas 2017. Expect it to be delivered in the 3rd week of March 2018.

Its a Vesuvio Grey with yellow calipers and a tan interior plus a few options. No pictures yet, but really looking forward to it!

-krish

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Welcome Krish and thanks for joining! Sounds like a great spec which should come along soon! What made you buy one? Past owner/test drive/ultra sexy looks etc? :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Welcome Krish and thanks for joining! Sounds like a great spec which should come along soon! What made you buy one? Past owner/test drive/ultra sexy looks etc? :)
Hi FNM! Thanks for the friendly welcome!

My very first car (a lease car) was an Alfa 156. I absolutely loved it! And that was 12+ years ago.
But I never found any successive Alfas that were worth it and leased an Audi A5 and a BMW 4 series since.

My current BMW lease was expiring and I had to choose a new lease car. We have this weird tax system here in the Netherlands where 1/4 of the value of the lease car is added to your yearly income and subject to 52% tax. :crying:

Having paid this tax all this while, I finally had enough and decided I wouldn't lease a car, but buy a new one with the money I'd otherwise be paying as tax. And there was only one brand I'd buy with my own money and that's an Alfa Giulia. It isn't really describable, but its an emotional decision. I think very few cars evoke this emotion in people. And the Giulia is a pretty car! (to say the least)

It's going to be the very first car I own myself. A bit nervous about that side of things though . . . with the insurances, maintenance, etc.

Test drove a Veloce (Ti AWD) at the local dealer, but I was grinning so much that I think I didn't pay any attention to the ride/handling. Ordered it at the dealer just before Christmas and dealer expects build + delivery in ~12 weeks - so should be getting it around mid/end March 2018 if there aren't any delays.

What do you drive? And what made you chose a Giulia? I see your basic profile, but don't see any pictures (garage?) of your car ... but then again I'm new here.

-krish

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
that's an interesting journey almost the reverse of mine! I own a Q4 with sports pack though thinking to add a QV to the mix in about 2/3 years depending on how well my saving goes or if there's something else which grabs my attention. I started out after a lease in the US (being from the UK the concept of leasing isn't too common, well at least not to me!) as I thought it'd be nice to own a new car every few years. Soon realized it was more financial sense to buy and hated the limitation on miles, not that we do a lot. When my day of glee came and my wife's car blew up we set out to look at Merc, Audi, Alfa, Lexus and Jag as my wife's car was beyond awful so it was time for an upgrade. We mainly wanted an AWE as we live up massive out of code hills and get lots of snow but really nothing interested us. The new A4 was nice and the S4 was note worthy but for us they lacked enjoyment (soul) and after around 12 hours of test driving we decided on the Alfa and never looked back.. LOVE IT! I'm certain you will too :) I'm from the JDM world, my last fun car of note was an FD RX7 which I cried when I sold. The Alfa brings that feeling back.. (not the tears!) :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Krish, a big welcome to the Forum. I hope you won't have to wait too long for your new Veloce.

As you already know, the Giulia is a world class sports sedan. As a British auto magazine reviewers stated, it is like a four door Ferrari!. You will become the center of attention, those yellow calipers will guarantee it!

Chuck :smile2:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome to the forum Krish. Hope your Giulia is delivered on time because I know I found the waiting is hard especially when you are reading here about all the things people are doing with their Giulia's.

Which part of the Netherlands are you from?

Alan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FNM, Chuck, Alan: Appreciate all your comments and the warm welcome!

I really love the Guilia! A great looking Alfa after more than a decade! At least in Europe they never went away like they did in the US, but after the 156/159, there was just this period when pretty much nothing happened with Alfa - at least in the sedan market.

Spent a weekend just a couple of weeks ago with a friend of mine from Helsinki. I tried to talk about a car's soul, and the passion and emotion it invokes in you. He's a bit of an Audi fan - a nice enough car, but kind of cold, clinical in my personal opinion. My ranting fell on deaf ears ... until I showed him the video of Kimi Raikkonen driving a Giulia and cracking half a smile at the end. That floored him! He had never seen Raikkonen smile and sent that video to all his Finnish friends; all equally flabbergasted that the guy who hadn't shown any emotion when winning races was actually half-smiling when driving a Guilia. (Ok, granted that was an QV, but still this is a guy who races for a living...)
@Alan: I live in a city called Bussum - about 20 odd kms from the capital Amsterdam.

It's a pity that the Netherlands is a flat country; but thankfully the hilly parts of Belgium and the German Autobahns aren't more than a couple of hours drive at most. I foresee some nice drives coming up. And we're probably going on a summer holiday to Austria or Switzerland - so tackling the mountains is going to be fun!

But first ... a 2 month wait till the car arrives :(

-krish

·
Registered
449 Posts
Congratulations. What I remember ablut driving between the airport and Barnebeld is how many flashes you can get on the highway!! (and the tickets which find you a few months later)! Have fun.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Hey, Bussum is only a bit over an hour drive from Nijverdal, where there's a bicycle shop from which I bought my other piece of Italian hardware, a Dedacciai road bike frame! If you're ever dashing east on the A1 and want to stop in, Jochem there is a good guy!

Welcome to the forum, and looking forward to seeing your car!

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Ah, a fellow Dutch member with the same color car/calipers!! Good choice. Welcome to the forum.

Ik hoop dat je veel plezier hebt met je nieuwe Alfa. groeten vanuit ATL USA!

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Congratulations. What I remember ablut driving between the airport and Barnebeld is how many flashes you can get on the highway!! (and the tickets which find you a few months later)! Have fun.
Haha..yup. BTW, I am from Holland, but live in ATL for over a decade. Cops don't stand with their radar equipment in sight, cameras will detect your speed, check you plate, and your ticker will be sent pretty much the same day.

·
Registered
647 Posts
FNM, Chuck, Alan: Appreciate all your comments and the warm welcome!

..... until I showed him the video of Kimi Raikkonen driving a Giulia and cracking half a smile at the end. That floored him! He had never seen Raikkonen smile and sent that video to all his Finnish friends; all equally flabbergasted that the guy who hadn't shown any emotion when winning races was actually half-smiling when driving a Guilia......

-krish
Krish, I'm really enjoying your thread and the interesting posts. Back in college I dated a Dutch girl ..... wow ..... I still think about her frequently.

Excuse my ignorance but had to Google for information about Kimi Räikkönen. I see they call him "The Ice Man." Very impressive that the Giulia QV brought a smile to his face. Something brought a big smile to my face as I read about him ..... his wife (both of them, Jenni Dahlman and Minttu Virtanen - see photos below)!

How the heck does he keep his eyes on the road? :D

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Krish

Welcome to the forum.

@ Krish
"I really love the Guilia! A great looking Alfa after more than a decade! At least in Europe they never went away like they did in the US, but after the 156/159, there was just this period when pretty much nothing happened with Alfa - at least in the sedan market".

I can relate to the above as it is very similar to my story in South Africa. During those lean period , I drove BMW and Honda. I am still driving a Civic.

Alfa Romeo South Africa has promised that the Veloce will be available in South Africa sometime during the 2nd quarter of this year. I find it strange that the base Giulia and the Q is available but not the Veloce. In fact, the Stelvio is available in the "Veloce" guise but not the sedan.

I like the colour and specs that you have ordered and I might opt for the same as well.

Enjoy the Giulia.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After XPel Pro & Gyeon Duraflex

Got her from the dealer towards 3rd week of March and drove her straight to a detailer.

Xpel Pro on the front and Gyeon Duraflex coating (comes with a 5 year guarantee!).

Specs:
  • Giulia 280HP Veloce AWD
  • Grigio Vesuvio
  • Brown (tobacco) leather sport seats
  • Climate upgrade pack
  • Convenience pack/keyless entry
  • Sound pack (upgrade from standard, not the HK)
  • 8.8 inch Infotainment system + 3D Nav, etc.
  • Sport/Paddle shifters
  • Yello Calipers
  • Misc stuff like the 7 inch display, parking sensors front/back, auto dim interior mirrors, etc.

Drove her a few hundred kilometers ... wow!! Drives like a charm ... quiet when cruising and a beast when you push a bit. Must say I haven't exceed 4k RPMs and driving only in "N" mode. Will wait for the first couple of thousand kilometers before I start pushing her a bit.

I love the sport seats with the inflatable lumbar and side bars - I have some back issues - and this is the most comfortable I've sat in a car in a long time!

The good news is that Infotainment came with the latest version (MV/TV 056.000.007). And yesterday, I updated the European maps easily in <30 mins via the MOPAR EU site.

-krish

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excuse my ignorance but had to Google for information about Kimi Räikkönen. I see they call him "The Ice Man." Very impressive that the Giulia QV brought a smile to his face. :D
Kimi is the guy in the video - the last 10 seconds when he cracks a small smile:

-krish

·
Registered
204 Posts
My very first car (a lease car) was an Alfa 156. I absolutely loved it! And that was 12+ years ago.
But I never found any successive Alfas that were worth it and leased an Audi A5 and a BMW 4 series since.

-krish
Welcome back! Same journey here, I loved my 156 - in a regular manual, not the finnicky selespeed (which was phenomenal...when it worked :grin2:). Sold it over 10 years ago, and I wasn't too keen on the 159. Looked like an Alfa, but the drive was meh. When the news broke that Alfa were coming back with a RWD sedan, I couldn't wait. One test drive, and I signed the dotted line.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@juz The selespeed - I had forgotten about that one. Mine was a manual thankfully.

For those who've followed Alfas in Europe, their 'normal' cars like the 156/159/GT - all good looking (156 was ahead of its time in my opinion with regard to looks), but their engines were ... umm disappointing. Compared to their counterparts, their acceleration times weren't up to the par - at least on paper.

I remember seeing a Giulia in the flesh for one of the first times when dropping my son off at school - was almost 2 years ago. That was one of the Giulia Super things (180/200HP) - at least it had two exhaust pipes at the rear and didn't have the Veloce diffuser. And I though: Wow! They're back! I just hope they made the engines more in line with the times.

Little did I know that 2 years later, I'd be owning a Giulia Veloce.

Btw ... the pics are up after being moderator approved. Scroll up ...

·
Registered
204 Posts
@juz .... but their engines were ... umm disappointing. Compared to their counterparts, their acceleration times weren't up to the par - at least on paper.
..... Wow! They're back! I just hope they made the engines more in line with the times.

Btw ... the pics are up after being moderator approved. Scroll up ...
My thoughts exactly. I just had the regular 2.0TS not the busso engine....but for a normally aspirated 4 cylinder, that was a peach of a motor. I learnt most about cars then.....oil levels, temperature, variators, timing belts, water pumps, worn bushes on arms...... lol, you know the drill.

Love the colour! Same like mine - I wish I got the tan leather, but the dealer had one at the back with everything I wanted except the tan leather, so I couldn't wait. Enjoy the ride!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts