Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I guess it's about time I introduce myself.
I work alongside Greg, Toby, and Chris on the Eurocompulsion team.
I have been working on Fiat's and Alfa's since I was about 10 years old, and learned to drive on a Fiat 128 my grandfather painstakingly restored from a rusting mess.
Greg is my father and Toby is my brother in law. We man the Eurocompulsion LLC Oklahoma development center. I work primarily on engine development and fabricating, and I also handle all shipping for the Oklahoma facility.
I drive a 2017 Giulia RWD with interior and exterior sport packages.

I will be on the forum a lot more (not just lurking) to help out with questions that may arise or even to hear everyone's ideas on new potential products.

We have prototype intakes running on the 2.0L Giulia and 2.9L Giulia QV along with flash tuning options for both vehicles. Still have quite a bit of R&D to preform before we can release the final products. But I am very excited to find the potential of these cars.

-Jordan

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Welcome to the boards, glad to have you here as well!

What kind of wheels are on that Giulia in the picture if you don't mind me asking? Looks to be some great fitment.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Welcome to the boards, glad to have you here as well!

What kind of wheels are on that Giulia in the picture if you don't mind me asking? Looks to be some great fitment.
They are produced by Avant Garde out of California. We spent a lot of time measuring and making sure we can fit as much wheel as possible without interference from the fender, strut and caliper. Exact fit for the Giulia base and QV.

We will have a number of options available through the Eurocompulsion.net website soon. We are finishing the add as I type this.

They are all top of the line rotary forged lightweight wheels.

On my car is a set of M652 forged. With a custom brushed/polished champagne stage 3 powder coating.

Attachments

Reactions: FX_Hedge

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Outstanding Jordan! Welcome. Any chance I could bug you to post some diagrams or photos of the intake or engine layout? Especially on the Quad. The plastic cover hides a lot and I am curious about the inter-cooler set up and high temp plastics. I built a rigid aluminum intake pipe for Miata Fast Forward Supercharger kit, cold side. I'm not asking for anything proprietary ;) just a better idea what's going on in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
Great. Tell them to hurry up. I have neighbors I need to wake-up.

This needs to be for all versions of the Giulia.
We understand! I also think the Giulia's exhaust is way to quiet. Another vendor, one who really knows Alfas is working with an industry leader to bring a top quality exhaust to market at a reasonable price. I am very excited about it.

I believe Jordan is in line to get one of the first (beta?) units. I wish I could say more about it, but it's not our product so I am very constrained on this subject.

Greg

·
Registered
580 Posts
Outstanding Jordan! Welcome. Any chance I could bug you to post some diagrams or photos of the intake or engine layout? Especially on the Quad. The plastic cover hides a lot and I am curious about the inter-cooler set up and high temp plastics. I built a rigid aluminum intake pipe for Miata Fast Forward Supercharger kit, cold side. I'm not asking for anything proprietary ;) just a better idea what's going on in there.
I like your supercharger kit. We used to make supercharger kits, and I actually wrote a book on supercharging.

Anyway, the intake(s) on the quad are pretty complex. We don't have the car here, it's in New York, but Jordan may take a generic picture and label if for you. We do have a performance intake for the quad coming. We make a pretty large selection of intakes for Italian cars and I think our Giulia intakes are going to be our best yet.

Jordan designed the Giulia 4cyl's intake. It's really nice. It's a full one piece silicone tube from the turbo to the air flow sensor. Silicone does a great job of rejecting engine bay heat so the tube stays really cool. From the sensor it has another silicone piece that connects to a very large high quality cone filter. I think it has something like 3x the area of the stock filter. It's located right by the fresh air duct and far from any heat source so it stays really cool. It's been in testing for about a month and we are really happy with it. Hopefully it gets released soon and we can put up pictures.

Greg

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
The Giulia is debuting new heat resistant thermoplastics designed by BASF for the intake and hot-side turbo duct which are very good at withstanding the tremendous temperature changes in the engine bay long term. Especially important when we start to meddle with the ECU tunes and increase boost thus increasing the heat even more. Would you provide your professional input regarding your design and the material you choose (Silicone) vs the new thermoplastics found in the Giulia and how each would fair over time say 10 years?

Thanks in advance.

BASF's heat resistant plastic debuts on the Alfa Romeo Giulia's 2.0L turbocharger system
- Collaboration with ABC Group and Magneti Marelli

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...iulias-20l-turbocharger-system-300454239.html

Interesting Read.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome Jordan :)
Congrats on your Giulia as you're personal daily :grin2:

I have one of your ECUs on my 4C and am looking forward to adding one to our Giulia Ti Q2. We just took delivery two days ago after a four month wait on the special order. No rush, why isn't the package here yet? LOL She's a nice driver just as she is.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The Giulia is debuting new heat resistant thermoplastics designed by BASF for the intake and hot-side turbo duct which are very good at withstanding the tremendous temperature changes in the engine bay long term. Especially important when we start to meddle with the ECU tunes and increase boost thus increasing the heat even more. Would you provide your professional input regarding your design and the material you choose (Silicone) vs the new thermoplastics found in the Giulia and how each would fair over time say 10 years?

Thanks in advance.
This is a great question. Get ready for a long and technical answer. There are two different issues here regarding temperature resistance. The first is the materiel's resistance to heat. In other words, when will it start to melt? The plastic used in the new Giulia's intake system apparently is some new materiel that can withstand really high temperatures and not melt. That's great. Our silicone can also withstand really high temperatures. I actually have a video on youtube showing you can't even damage it with a hot soldering iron. I am not sure which materiel has a higher temperature resistance, but I don't think it's a factor in either case.

Now, the much bigger issue (since nobody would sell piping that melts anyway) is the materiel's "coefficient of thermal conductivity". This is a measurement of how well the materiel insulates from heat. In other words, how well does it block engine compartment heat from the air that in the tube. As an example, aluminum is really bad at this, which is why we use it in radiators. We want the heat to pass easily from the coolant, through the aluminum and then into the cooling airflow. So we need a material that heat passes through. If you made a radiator out of stainelss steel, it wouldn't work very well.

So now for some actual numbers. The coefiicient of thermal conductivity of Aluminum is 205, for Stainless Steel it's 16. Now that's a massive difference. However for rubber, plastic, and silicone it's a lot better. They all hover around .13 to .20, (that's POINT .13). The difference down in that range is negligable, our silicone is about .15. Now the next factor is thickness. Obvoiusly thicker materiel will insulate better. That just makes sense right? It's harder for the heat to work it's way through the thicker materiel.

Now I don't have the coefficient of thermal conductivity for this new type of plastic, I doubt it's published anywhere. Here is what I do know. It's very thin in the Giulia. It even feels flimsy, you can crush it in your hand. In data logging we see surprisingly high temps in the QV's intake system (strangely the standard Giulia is much better in this regard) so we know that a lot of heat is getting through that materiel. Our intake uses very thick silicone, I'll have exact numbers soon, but I think it's about 4 times thicker than the factory part and it insulates the heat much more effectively.

Greg

P.S. if you really want to read more of this sort of stuff: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome Jordan :)
Congrats on your Giulia as you're personal daily :grin2:

I have one of your ECUs on my 4C and am looking forward to adding one to our Giulia Ti Q2. We just took delivery two days ago after a four month wait on the special order. No rush, why isn't the package here yet? LOL She's a nice driver just as she is.

Thanks!

Congratulations to you as well.
As soon I took ownership of the Giulia I took it to the Tail of the Dragon in the Tennessee smokey mountains. I just couldn't help myself. I figured it was a good way to break the car in. :)

Attachments

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Thanks!

Congratulations to you as well.
As soon I took ownership of the Giulia I took it to the Tail of the Dragon in the Tennessee smokey mountains. I just couldn't help myself. I figured it was a good way to break the car in. :)

Nice! That's how everybody should break-in a new car :grin2:

Were you there with the Fiat Rally and the 4Cs recently?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Excellent info. Thanks Greg. I have read up on the new plastics in the Giulia. Funny that they would be so thin. It may just be that the conductivity is high, because it helps keep them from melting, so it's kind of a trade off. Maybe even saving weight? I'm glad you got a prototype set up working for the 4 cyl. More filter area spells more flow. I am really curious about the inter-cooler set up on the Quad. I suspect there is a lot going on there, especially with the thin plastics involved. It will be an interesting learning experience ;)

Now how about the chassis and body? How much aluminum, carbon, and steel? I want to know how to protect the chassis and unibody from winter elements up here. What stands out so far are the ribbed shock towers. Are they aluminum? I know there is a lot on my 360 so I drawing comparisons.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice! That's how everybody should break-in a new car :grin2:

Were you there with the Fiat Rally and the 4Cs recently?
Yes. Eurocompulsion and Auto Ricambi are the main sponsors for Fiat on the Dragon event.

This year we had 3 Giulia's 1 Giulia QV. Along with several 4C's. And almost 100 Fiat's

The Alfa's that are making an appearance seem to be growing in number every year. Which excites me.

I would have to say hands down some of the funnest driving I have done is on the Tail of the Dragon and the Devils Triangle.

All Italian cars are welcome to Fiat on the Dragon, and we encourage everyone to go and experience these roads for themselves.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts