Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I haven't even bought an Alfa yet but in the market for a new car and the Giulia is #1 on my list and it's the only new car that I have taken for a test drive so far. I am open to suggestions on which options are worth paying for and which are not. Currently, I'm liking the Giulia Ti Sport and like the Stromboli Gray Metallic with red leather interior, although there don't seem to be any around here to look at in this combination. So using the on-line build-a-vehicle configurator, I came up with this car and options:
* Giulia Ti Sport AWD
Color: Stromboli Gray Metallic (+$600)
Wheels: 19" x 8" Dark 5-hole (included)
Bi-Xenon Headlights (+$700)
Interior: Black/Red Leather
Speakers: HK Premium Sound (+$900) Is this worth the money?
Dual Pane Sunroof (+$1,350)
Ti leather package (+$990)
Driver Assist Dynamic Plus package (+$1,500)
TI Sport Performance Package (+$1,200)
Red Calipers (included)
Total price $51,835 plus tax, etc.

Does this look good? Any items that aren't worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: ChiGuy

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome :smile2:

Your list of options sounds good to me. But as to the question about what you should or should not get, is, well, up to you. It really depends on your needs and desires.

We have the HK stereo in our Ti and we like it. It's nice as as OEM car stereos go. Some day I might change out the drivers, but they're good enough that I can let it go a few years.

We also have the Ti Performance Pack with LSD, Active Suspension and Paddle Shifters. I like it. We special ordered the car for the purpose of getting this package.

You might want to think about the Static Driver Assist Pack. This includes parking sensors and self dimming mirrors.

We have over 10,000 on our Giulia Ti Q2 without issue. She's a great touring car. Pleasant on the Interstate and a dream in the canyons. She'd make a terrific track car too.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I seoncd what Racer Z said

Welcome :smile2:
But as to the question about what you should or should not get, is, well, up to you. It really depends on your needs and desires.
The perceived value of the sound system has been extensively debated on the forum. I think it probably all depends on what type of music you listen to and maybe more importantly how loud you listen to your chosen music. Oh and just how HiFi your hearing is. If you don’t need a lot of bass or a lot of volume and have less than golden ears the non HK system may well be enough. If you need a lot of bass & volume and are real HiFi buff then even the HK system may not be enough.

I don’t miss any of the options I didn’t pick. The only one I regret paying for is the nav system, i made it clear that it needed to have live traffic to be useable and was stupid enough to believe the commitment that it would be updated. So I’m still using Waze on my phone.

It’s an awesome car and I love how customizable it is. Hope you find the mix of options that works well for you.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sounds like it will be a sweet looking car, given the colour and wheel option.
As for the stereo, I’ve tried the optional and the base stereo and not seen a huge difference, maybe it’s worth it if you like classical or jazz, but for rock/pop stuff I’m sure the standard radio would suffice, that’s a personal call though.
Same goes for the driver assist package, I’m more of an old-school, man and machine kinda guy, so I’d skip any additional nannies, but again, personal call.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
That'd be bomber! Great colors, and yeah, get the leather package!

But..I'm not sure what the Ti Perf Pack really adds to a Q4 outside of performance in some pretty particular circumstances.

As I understand it, the Q4 drives the rear wheels until slip, at which point it can transfer up to 60% of torque to the front. It would seem that a rear LSD-- sending torque to non-slipping wheel-- would really only be handy way out on the edges of handling where you have both a front and a rear wheel slipping. That's great in terms of ultimate performance, or for a track/race car, but I'd question the value for a roadgoing-only Q4.

Ti get paddle shifters anyway, and the other feature of the Ti Perf Pack is the adjustable shocks, or rather, the ability to select a soft setting while in Dynamic mode, for better rough roads handling. I don't find ride quality in Dynamic on standard dampers particularly harsh, so there's that, but also, I had adjustable shocks go out on my Audi, and I can tell you, those things are expensive. I've seen posted here that a pair of adjustable Giulia dampers are $4.4k.

Anyway, may be stuff worth considering if money is an issue and your driving demands don't necessarily call for particular things.

I think the upgraded 8.8" info system (with nav) is pretty nice, too, especially if you plan to use CarPlay, just for the space and scale of the app icons.

Oh, and regarding the HK system, I think Yes to that, if only because the silver grills up front look good! I didn't compare to the base system, but the HK system does sound pretty good when it's in it's zone, but also has obvious limitations. Probably the base system has the same limitations, though without the better sound. I dunno.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
One more thing...re: Driver Static Assist, while I sometimes appreciate the lane keeping warning (to avoid unwanted police attention), and the auto dimming mirrors are nice, I find the other features of marginal value. It's a small, low car, so seeing out the windows to back up is not an issue for me. Blind spot monitoring doesn't work well to my expectations, and seems not to be there when I'm wondering if a car is over there. I think it only alerts if overtake speed variance is less than a 15mph delta or something like that; I'm not really sure what all it's doing, but it's different and less helpful than the system in my '16 Ford Edge Sport.

I don't find it a tremendous value, but then, I've only had my car for about 3 weeks, so I'm still on the learning curve.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Perhaps 2018 has change a few things from 2017, but probably not that much.

But..I'm not sure what the Ti Perf Pack really adds to a Q4 outside of performance in some pretty particular circumstances.

As I understand it, the Q4 drives the rear wheels until slip, at which point it can transfer up to 60% of torque to the front. It would seem that a rear LSD-- sending torque to non-slipping wheel-- would really only be handy way out on the edges of handling where you have both a front and a rear wheel slipping. That's great in terms of ultimate performance, or for a track/race car, but I'd question the value for a roadgoing-only Q4.

Ti get paddle shifters anyway, and the other feature of the Ti Perf Pack is the adjustable shocks, or rather, the ability to select a soft setting while in Dynamic mode, for better rough roads handling. I don't find ride quality in Dynamic on standard dampers particularly harsh, so there's that, but also, I had adjustable shocks go out on my Audi, and I can tell you, those things are expensive. I've seen posted here that a pair of adjustable Giulia dampers are $4.4k.
Ti Performance Pack adds a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) and Active Suspension and paddle shifters.
- An LSD is always the way to go for slippery roads and/or performance driving, even if it does have an AWD system. An LSD would be $1200 or more after the fact.
- Active Suspension offers better shocks than the standard shocks with the ability to change the damping on the fly.
- Paddle shifters are NOT standard on the Ti. They are available with the Ti Sport Pack or Ti Performance Pack only.

One more thing...re: Driver Static Assist, while I sometimes appreciate the lane keeping warning (to avoid unwanted police attention), and the auto dimming mirrors are nice, I find the other features of marginal value.
I think you mixing the static and dynamic driver packages. We specifically optioned out the dynamic assist and optioned in the static assist. We wanted the dimming mirrors and parking sensors, but not the lane swerve thing or the auto-brake thing.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for some excellent insight and feedback, based on having owned these cars. I did find that on the Ti Sport model, if the Driver Assist Dynamic Plus Package is selected, it automatically adds the Driver Assist Static Package.

So it adds:
Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop
Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
Forward Collision Warning Plus
Infrared Windshield
Lane Departure Warning

and also the static package:
Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirrors
Blind Spot and Cross Path Detection

So I'll likely get these as if I don't, I will always wish I did!!

Did any of you folks have much success at "negotiating" the car price much? Just curious and I know no-ones going to divulge exact details, but I haven't bought a new car for myself in ages and I still remember the drama of the sales guy having to ask the "manager" and lots of back and forth, then you have to deal with the finance dept and then they start trying to add "protection" and various other add-ons... Maybe the Alfa dealers are a bit more professional than that. Certainly my dealings with a local Mercedes dealership weren't too bad (wife drive a CLA-250) but the Sales guy must have mentioned at least 6 times that I need to rate him super highly on the survey that would be sent to me.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Hey Martyn. Belated welcome!

My 2c is like others, you have a good spec there. I have most of that on mine but the one thing you have in your list that I don't is the forward collision. I think that package is worth it for that alone being that the nose is low and you can hopefully better avoid scrapes with that :) Exciting! What else are you test driving?

Might be tough getting 'a lot' of money off an MY18 but aim for at least a couple of k below MSRP and let us know how it worked out :)

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Perhaps 2018 has change a few things from 2017, but probably not that much.

Ti Performance Pack adds a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) and Active Suspension and paddle shifters.
- An LSD is always the way to go for slippery roads and/or performance driving, even if it does have an AWD system. An LSD would be $1200 or more after the fact.
- Active Suspension offers better shocks than the standard shocks with the ability to change the damping on the fly.
- Paddle shifters are NOT standard on the Ti. They are available with the Ti Sport Pack or Ti Performance Pack only.

I think you mixing the static and dynamic driver packages. We specifically optioned out the dynamic assist and optioned in the static assist. We wanted the dimming mirrors and parking sensors, but not the lane swerve thing or the auto-brake thing.
I have both Static and Dynamic Assist packages, but did phrase my reply confusingly. I like DA Dynamic features, but might consider cutting DA Static package if the money made a difference or availability was the issue. Coming from larger vehicles, I find visibility in Giulia very good and knowing where the Giulia is to be very easy.

I’d like to see a performance comparo between Q4 and Q4 w/LSD. With the way the system works with the traction control, I just wonder where the LSD benefit really comes in. I know for my kind of driving, it’s out at the margins far enough that I didn’t feel it was a sacrifice to cut it, so I was raising the question because others may drive the way I do.

The car in question has Sport Pkg, so paddle shifters, meaning Perf Pkg gives LSD and adjustable shocks.

My understanding on the Adaptive Dampers is that they offer firming of the shocks in D, and the option to back them down to a soft setting when in D with the push of a button. Novel to have, but I’d suggest test driving cars with and without the package. I drove an 18” wheel Ti Q2 before choosing 19” Q4, and did felt the 19” wheels delivered more edge to bump feedback, but that ride quality was not all that different between the cars and settings. I also drove a Lusso Q4 and Ti RWD.

Now that’s just me shooting around town on a test drive, not hittin’ turns like Hamilton, so not worth a lot...unless you drive similarly. My takeaway was that Adaptive didn’t dramatically change the character of the car under conditions which constitute 99% of my driving over crappy Michig. Also, having had adjustable dampers fail on my Audi A8, I was scared for the bill which lay down the road!

Point being, the Giulia is a great handling car no matter how you cut it, and the optional features enhance that, but their absence does not diminish it. Depending on how and where you drive, the Perf Pack may confer benefits, but it also may not.

Reactions: Racer Z

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Thanks everyone for some excellent insight and feedback, based on having owned these cars. I did find that on the Ti Sport model, if the Driver Assist Dynamic Plus Package is selected, it automatically adds the Driver Assist Static Package.

So it adds:
Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop
Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
Forward Collision Warning Plus
Infrared Windshield
Lane Departure Warning

and also the static package:
Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirrors
Blind Spot and Cross Path Detection

So I'll likely get these as if I don't, I will always wish I did!!

Did any of you folks have much success at "negotiating" the car price much? Just curious and I know no-ones going to divulge exact details, but I haven't bought a new car for myself in ages and I still remember the drama of the sales guy having to ask the "manager" and lots of back and forth, then you have to deal with the finance dept and then they start trying to add "protection" and various other add-ons... Maybe the Alfa dealers are a bit more professional than that. Certainly my dealings with a local Mercedes dealership weren't too bad (wife drive a CLA-250) but the Sales guy must have mentioned at least 6 times that I need to rate him super highly on the survey that would be sent to me.
We had not much success on price discounts, and we bought three cars (1 leased), including a QV, and with promise of a fourth Stelvio this month! We got a $1k Alfa Incentive, and $1k FCA Conquest discount, plus a healthy amount on a trade-in car which was really not in great shape.

Frankly, I was surprised not to have gotten more “love” on pricing, but weren’t ready to walk off to another dealer, so that card wasn’t played, and honestly, I think car salespeople are really only motivated by potential loss of sale, not promise of more.

Our tack was “we’re not going to beat you up on price, but we want you to go to work for us and get us your fairest price so that you make money and we can sign happily onto a 4 car deal.” I don’t feel that was compelling to them, as they didn’t even offer discounts on MY17 inventory they had. We took new arrival MY18s instead.

In reality, another $2 or $3k across the group wasn’t going to be a make or break anyway, and I like having the purchase history on my side when I go in next time to get a new one in 2yrs. If that’s not an issue, though, I’d play the “compare & walk” card if another dealer is an option, like “I’ve been looking at a car at dealer X, but wanted to see what you could offer me...”

Good luck!

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks FNM. I haven't test driven anything else yet. What is on my list to test drive is a BMW M240i and a maybe a Jaguar XE 25T or 35T. I'm thinking that the 240i would be tons of fun but it's a bit small and I might be ready to try something other than BMW (my current car is a 525i and previous one was a 325i). I once owned an Italian car. Not an Alfa, but a Lancia Fulvia Coupe :) That was back in the mid to late 70's when I lived in England. To this day, that remains the car that I enjoyed the most. Back then, one of my friends had an Alfa GTV6 and that was a blast, Another friend bought an Alfasud ti which was tiny but a lot of fun to drive.

Back to the Giulia, I like the idea of those paddle shifters and that led me to the Perf pack, but maybe those are already included in the Ti Sport package. I'll need to check.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
cool i'm also from England (hello ole bean!) ;)

I was a bit disappointed with the Jag to be honest, it was a bit .. bleh. Nice but I was expecting more from it. Def go Paddle Shifters! Didn't try and BMW as I was only interested in the M2 and couldn't get one at the time for less than 60k which was beyond the DD budget. Hope you choose the Alfa! Let us know :)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Not everybody needs an LSD, with or without the AWD. All Giulias have the ability to dab a single brake as necessary to regain car control or tire traction. For most people, this is enough. An LSD would kick-in before the ESC (Electronic Stability Control) attempts to dab a brake pad. For serious performance driving, the LSD is a must.

I did have the opportunity to test drive a Ti with and without the Ti Performance package. I really liked the Perf Pack much better. The most notable difference was the suspension felt 'there', firm without being overly stiff. I thought the non-performance version was just plain mushy. With the Active Suspension, I do have the ability to choose mushy or firm. After several thousand miles of playing with it, I just leave it in firm.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
With the Active Suspension, I do have the ability to choose mushy or firm.
You can only choose in Dynamic mode, though, right?

Do the active shocks also adapt to driving conditions, whether in the Dynamic, Natural or Advanced Efficiency modes? Or is the system basically only applying pre-set firmness and damping rates (according to D w/soft engaged, D w/soft *not* engaged, N or A)?

Is D w/ soft engaged the same feel as D and A?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
A few comments to add:

While LSD should improve traction control response when a wheel slips, it will only make a difference when a wheel slips. Any advantage depends on how and where you drive. LSD does add some weight and some driveline drag.

I was told that a replacement set of the adaptive dampers costs $4400, so just a "bit" more than standard dampers. There does not seem to be any aftermarket alternative.

HK audio adds weight to the car. I do not know how much.

Sunroof adds weight, potential leaks, and the potential for a broken glass shower (see thread on the subject).

I think the dynamic drivers assistance package adds the infrared windshield. Although this is most likely added to prevent overheating the electronics, it should also reduce interior heat gain in the summer.

The paddles should be standard, not an option. I think most drivers find them to be a mandatory feature.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thanks FNM. I haven't test driven anything else yet. What is on my list to test drive is a BMW M240i and a maybe a Jaguar XE 25T or 35T. I'm thinking that the 240i would be tons of fun but it's a bit small and I might be ready to try something other than BMW (my current car is a 525i and previous one was a 325i). I once owned an Italian car. Not an Alfa, but a Lancia Fulvia Coupe :) That was back in the mid to late 70's when I lived in England. To this day, that remains the car that I enjoyed the most. Back then, one of my friends had an Alfa GTV6 and that was a blast, Another friend bought an Alfasud ti which was tiny but a lot of fun to drive.
I owned an M235i before my current Giulia. It was a good car but lacked the convenience of 4 doors for when I had passengers. While it handled great and was fast, it was a bit numb in the steering. The m235 does have the advantage that the torque is there immediately as soon as you press on the accelerator. The Giulia 2.0 has a bit of a lag. For me personally, the difference between the Giulia TI and the m235 was not enough to make me switch, but if I was choosing one or the other, I think I'd pick the Ti even though it has less power.
I ended up getting the QV. That made it an easy decision to switch ;)

BTW, I drove a GTV-6 as my DD 1985-1992. Now that was a real car! I still have my 2nd one after all those years.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello all,

I haven't even bought an Alfa yet but in the market for a new car and the Giulia is #1 on my list and it's the only new car that I have taken for a test drive so far. I am open to suggestions on which options are worth paying for and which are not. Currently, I'm liking the Giulia Ti Sport and like the Stromboli Gray Metallic with red leather interior, although there don't seem to be any around here to look at in this combination. So using the on-line build-a-vehicle configurator, I came up with this car and options:
* Giulia Ti Sport AWD
Color: Stromboli Gray Metallic (+$600)
Wheels: 19" x 8" Dark 5-hole (included)
Bi-Xenon Headlights (+$700)
Interior: Black/Red Leather
Speakers: HK Premium Sound (+$900) Is this worth the money?
Dual Pane Sunroof (+$1,350)
Ti leather package (+$990)
Driver Assist Dynamic Plus package (+$1,500)
TI Sport Performance Package (+$1,200)
Red Calipers (included)
Total price $51,835 plus tax, etc.

Does this look good? Any items that aren't worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance.
You will love your Giulia when you get it, it doesn't matter if there is or isn't an option or package here and there :--)

Only thing you need know is that r u a performance driver, or on the lux / relax side? what is the core value you r looking for in the car. For me, sport package so that i have the shift paddle ... and that is it. Other things good to have but never a must. and there are things I want to avoid:

The worst value in my Giulia is the Nav. But my wife just couldnt get pass an idea that a car dont have nav. You may have to keep it to keep the other half happy to keep you happy.

The other thing i want to avoid: sunroof. It add weight, reduce strength, possibility of leaking, got stuck, and forget to close left in rain :--) ... I will opt for it if I have a eject button by my chair :--)

For the blind spot warning, I grow to like it, it gave me a pretty distance when switch lane. Now I know I dont have to wait for the indicator completely go off to change lane, so long as i have enough velocity ...

LSD will help you if you drive to the outer limit of the car capability. Q4 if you have snow often. Or you just like the performance edge off the green light ... or both.

Dynamic safety feature will save your baby and save life in those extreme situation. I dont have it but it is something I dont have objection. and of course if QV, it turned off at race anyway.

I am sure you can't wait to get your own Giulia and all of us here cant wait to see the pics :--)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great feedback ybba and all others for the expert comments. I'm questioning the sunroof myself and may opt to leave that one off the list as I just realized that I only have opened my sunroof a few times in my current bmw 525i. I have left it cracked open to help keep the black interior cool in the summer, but I also "accidentally" left it open a couple of times during rain (at work I don't have a window office...). I definitely want the shift paddles and they are picked up with the Sport package so that's good. Still debating the $1,200 sport performance package that adds the active suspension. I probably could live without it but then I might always wish I had it.... :).

On the pricing issue, That's my next thing to worry about. I will attempt to negotiate and I'll try not to be too green. I may play the "other dealer" card when needed, but frankly I hate going to all the dealers as they are all pretty hungry this time of the year. In reality, there are only 3 dealers for Alfa's that are reasonably close (wthin 40 miles).

I did find that Kelly Blue Book has an on-line pricing guide that shows MSRP and Dealer Invoice for the car and all of the options. It seemed to be based on 2017 data but might be quite close. For example, I configured a Giulia Ti Sport with a bunch of options and this is the result it gave me:

MSRP (including selected options): $52,235
Dealer Invoice: $49,117
Fair Market Price: $47,646 to $49,905
Fair Purchase Price: $48,693
(This price do not include State and local taxes which would add 6.5% for me)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts