Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been following the development of the Giulia for couple years now and I am excited that the end for the long wait is in sight now! I have migrated over from the Alfabb bulletin board because it seems to be more activity on this forum regarding the Giulia. I am looking to replace sometime by the end of the year my 10 year old Audi A4 preferably with a Giulia Ti. Although I still have other contenders on my list, Giulia is the leading contender so far. The Audi has been a fine car, but I just got tired of the stale and conservative design especially on the new B9 version. I saw the Giulia at the New York Auto Show and I really liked it! It appears being a much more emotional and sportier design than any of the competitors. My only concern is the lack of information so far about manual transmission being available on the lesser versions. I've been a manual only driver and it would be a huge disappointment if this car would not be available with a manual transmission!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I also have the same concern for a lack of manual on the lower versions however i'm seeing that spending the extra is a good investment in my fun, after all i am looking at a vehicle in this class and not something much lower down, like a Honda Civic of all things.

But Alfa Romeo being a brand new to America (again), there might be a chance for manual on lower trims, but I take it there's a sense of urgency to get into a vehicle... if true, what's the timeline like?

And because pictures are always better :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Does quality control and reliability concern you. Audis are known to be quite reliable and FCA vehicles are at the opposite end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I am not overly concerned with reliability, at least not to the degree that it would stop me from buying the car. I know that previous generations of Alfas had some reliability issues, but this is a completely new platform and the manufacturing standards and general quality of automobiles have improved significantly since the last Alfa was sold here in the US. I don't really believe in most of the reliability rankings anyway. If one looks into the reliability data in more detail finds that the most reliable brand and the worst is only separated by a couple of occurrences. Most of the reported "quality" issues are related to the integration and usability of the entertainment system, some design issues, and minor annoyances such as wind noise. Even though I know Fiat is ranked on the bottom of the reliability charts, but personally I do not see or hear about too many Fiats or Maseraties breaking down left or right. Let's face it, all cars will have some sort of issues sooner or later. My Audi had a few issues throughout the year, but so did my wife's Toyota. I am hoping that Alfa being new in the USA will roll out a great warranty and extended service program and if something will go wrong the dealer will step up and fix the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am looking forward to the Giulia, but I am not looking forward to all the first year issues that happen. And that is my main concern. I am deciding between a Ghibli Sq4 or the Giulia. I know the Giulia will be more of a drivers car and I am leaning towards the Giulia, but I have seen too many first year issues ruin a car buying experience. Also Alfa is not really known for it's reliability in the first place. I know the 14 Ghibli was full of issues. The Gt3 Porsche had engine issues. So I am torn.

I have talked to Upper Saddle River Alfa already and was told you cannot order the car just yet. The first cars incoming will be optioned already. So we will see what happens with that. Anyway, looking forward to contributing to the forum.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Even though I know Fiat is ranked on the bottom of the reliability charts, but personally I do not see or hear about too many Fiats or Maseraties breaking down left or right. Let's face it, all cars will have some sort of issues sooner or later.
I've driven a 2014 Maserati GranTurismo Sport and put nearly 40k on it and have had no major problems other than a few minor cosmetic ones. (consisting of the drivers sun visor failing to stay up and one of the air vent adjusters on the dash fell off).
Even with servicing it at the right mileage,as the manual says, I know that eventually I'll have to deal with the major ones. That's the main reason I'm trading it in for the Giulia.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Even though I know Fiat is ranked on the bottom of the reliability charts, but personally I do not see or hear about too many Fiats or Maseraties breaking down left or right. Let's face it, all cars will have some sort of issues sooner or later.
Have you not been on a Ghibli forum?? Go on a Ghibli forum and then say they have not had several issues except my16 Ghibli's. They have had the fewest issues.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Fortunately those reliability issues might not be an issue to them since people still seem to be buying them in good numbers, plus not everyone is as well informed as we are, most find out too late.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm in almost the exact same position as you. My current car is a '07 VW GTI 6MT and I'm planning to replace it with a RWD 4dr sedan/wagon. Giulia if equipped with manual transmission would be the absolute perfect candidate for me as well, but from the look of it the non-QV versions will not get the manual (at least initially). I really hope that the rumored 300+HP version will be announced with manual option later this year, otherwise I'll have to look very hard between this and the 340i.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear you! I am losing hope that we will see the manual in regular Giulia. I will have to test drive the Giulia first and see if I can live with the automatic. It would be sweet if a 300+ version would be available with the manual! There are also rumors that the Audi A4 will be available next year with a manual. I have personally found the new A4 too boring looking, but the new A5 Sportback is coming to the US next year, and if the A4 will be available with manual there is a chance that the A5 Sportback might have it as well. Although Audi could also pull something like BMW did, they offer manual in the 3-series but not in the 4-series GranCoupe.
Alfa should make this decision easier and make manual available on all models. I would be even willing to pay a $1,000 premium for a manual model.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No I haven't been on the Ghibli forum. What sort of problem people had with the Ghibli?

Www.ghibliforum.com

You can see how many issues the Ghibli has had. Here are a few:
Front struts cracking
Premium sound not working
A/C front ducks won't work
Nav system has mind if it's own. Works sporadically

Now granted forums are where people come to complain or find out if their issue is not just them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fortunately those reliability issues might not be an issue to them since people still seem to be buying them in good numbers, plus not everyone is as well informed as we are, most find out too late.

They are selling cause of 18% discounts. You can get an 87k car with a 16k discount. They always have lease specials for 599 5k total out of pocket 10k miles 36 months.

It's a great car don't get me wrong but the depreciation is terrible and they have not sold anywhere near the price they thought. If they did, you wouldn't see the discounts you do.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, those two models are certainly a possibility if I decide to go for a pre-owned car. For a new car purchase I would rather not buy a model that is already being replaced by an updated version.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts