Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the forum as I'm interested in the Giulia and plan to test drive one next week. I'm in the Raleigh area, so it looks like I will be going to either Hendrich in Cary or Leith in Raleigh. Any tips that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Welcome Ray thanks for joining! Once you test drive i'm afraid there's not much going back and it's mostly going to be what options you want and that depends on you. Obviously you'll be able to get much better deals on 17's rather than new 18 models. Hopefully someone who lives close to you can tell you reputation/experience in that dealer, think the consensus is that's a VERY important factor.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Just joined the forum as I'm interested in the Giulia and plan to test drive one next week. I'm in the Raleigh area, so it looks like I will be going to either Hendrich in Cary or Leith in Raleigh. Any tips that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Ray
Welcome RAO-3. I’m also in the Raleigh area, bought a 2017 Ti out of dealer inventory at Hendricks last Thanksgiving. Have 2k trouble free, and very enjoyable, miles of driving under my belt. I thought the buying experience at Hendricks was fine, no experience with service yet, so can’t provide any feedback there. Price I got (before tax, tag, dealer admin) was 11% off sticker. Rumor going around that Johnson Maserati will take over the Hendricks Alfa franchise.

My Giulia replaced a 2015 Audi A4, nice car, but nowhere near the pure fun of driving that comes with the Alfa. It drives a lot like my old Z4, but with the comfort of my Audi, with style unlike anything else out there. The best of all worlds!

Good luck with you purchase, let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Ray
Welcome!
I'm also located in the triangle. I looked at Hendricks back in September when I was buying. Their sales people are friendly and low-pressure. They could not give me a good price at that time so I went out-of-state.
I've had one service experience at Hendricks to have the steering wheel centered. They did the work ok, but they did not offer me a loaner car and in fact they said that in order to get one it would have to be "pre-approved", whatever that means. I may give Hendrick one more try since they are the closest to me.
I'm glad that there is one other option in the triangle now. Plus it will also be interesting if Johnson Maserati takes over the Cary dealer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you for the quick replies! I have been looking at the Alfa Romeo site, both to see the options and to see what cars are out there. Looking at the Ti's but was wondering if the seats are good in both the sport and Lusso models. Any idea what kind of discount is reasonable to try for?

Winger, thank you for letting me know your experience with Hendricks. I did notice that they only list MSRP for the '18's on their site.

Ferraripete are you referring to the dealer in Greensboro?

Verrilli, how did the out of state purchase go? Any tricks to it? I saw there a dealer in SC - Stateline and was wondering about the added complexity.

Ray

·
Registered
693 Posts
Verrilli, how did the out of state purchase go? Any tricks to it? I saw there a dealer in SC - Stateline and was wondering about the added complexity.

Ray
Out of state was not a problem. I just had the dealer put on a temporary tag. They also had to fill out some NC DMV forms and have them properly notarized. They also had to transfer the title that they have to me. Then I went to the DMV with the forms to transfer the title and pay the taxes. Here are all the forms I needed
- [x] Proof of insurance
- [x] Title (from dealer)
- [x] Bill of sale (from dealer)
- [x] Title application filled out
- [x] Odometer statement - signed by dealer
- [x] Damage disclosure statement - signed by dealer

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thank you for the quick replies! I have been looking at the Alfa Romeo site, both to see the options and to see what cars are out there. Looking at the Ti's but was wondering if the seats are good in both the sport and Lusso models. Any idea what kind of discount is reasonable to try for?

Winger, thank you for letting me know your experience with Hendricks. I did notice that they only list MSRP for the '18's on their site.

Ferraripete are you referring to the dealer in Greensboro?

Ray

yes, my mistake. the dealer is off of Wendover I think? They seem to be nice and a smaller less institutional alternative to hendrik.

as a note; I will be spend a week or two at my east coast house in the charlotte/lake norman area. I get there on the 19th. I would be happy to have you come down and look at and drive my qv if you thought it could be helpful? less pressure to buy then the dealer as my car is not for sale:).

honest offer however. feel free to pm me if you like?

best,

pcb

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hope I'm not too late.

I spent the better part of the last 3 months considering and looking at Giulia's in the Triangle area (hint: there are very few). I learned the following

1. Hendrick in Cary has a large inventory of cars but the dealer experience over there left me a bit cold. Not sure what my expectations were really but that's how it felt. Could never actually get a deal going with them.

2. Maserati of Raleigh moved north on capital blvd. and are dealing Alfa from there as well. They have a limited selection on the lot however my salesperson did everything he could over the course of several weeks to find me a car matching my criteria. Low and behold that car came from the Cary lot.

If you're not concerned about the experience and are just looking to find your car and write a check there's nothing necessarily wrong with the Hendrick dealer. If you'd like a more boutique shopping experience I think Maserati of Raleigh caters to that as best they can.

If it's not against forum rules my salesperson would have no problem with me sharing his information with you.

·
Registered
316 Posts

Ray
I'm in the area too. There are a lot of us! I wasn't crazy about Hendrick's GM who didn't much want to sell me a car it felt like. But they are fine for a test drive. I notice they only have Giulias at the moment and no Stelvios, which seems odd.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I don't think you will be going to Hendrick because they don't seem to have any cars. Yesterday their website said they had sold all their inventory, but today it just comes up a blank page with an Alfa Romeo header. Their Fiat page works fine. Something is up with that Alfa dealership -- no dealership runs out of cars!
That is strange, I was browsing 2 days ago and they showed a bunch of MY17 and a couple MY18. Today, as you say, nothing. Maybe this is the rumored transition to Johnson Maserati??

·
Registered
693 Posts
I don't think you will be going to Hendrick because they don't seem to have any cars. Yesterday their website said they had sold all their inventory, but today it just comes up a blank page with an Alfa Romeo header. Their Fiat page works fine. Something is up with that Alfa dealership -- no dealership runs out of cars!
When I look, it shows 27 cars. Most with a large discount. https://www.alfaromeoofcary.com/new-inventory/index.htm

·
Registered
316 Posts
When I look, it shows 27 cars. Most with a large discount. https://www.alfaromeoofcary.com/new-inventory/index.htm
Yes, I see that now as well. And yesterday it was the Stelvios they did not have in stock, they apparently have Giulias. Those are nice discounts, much better than two months ago when I was shopping them. Now they are about the same as I got with Johnson Alfa Romeo/Maserati in Annapolis Md.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Test drive

I plan to go over to Cary and take a test drive tomorrow. I do also plan to talk to Leith in Raleigh before making a purchase. Deciding on options now.

Ray

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Test drive

Sorry for the delay in replying...

Went to the Hendrich Cary dealer on Monday to get a better look at the Giulia and take a test drive. Carl came out to greet me. I was really impressed with him - he really knew all the details about the car and all the options and colors. They also had a Stelvio in the showroom that my wife liked - more than the Giulia. He offered a test drive and we agreed. The car is everything people have said on this forum; it drove really well. The only thing I would turn off is the engine stop/start at traffic lights. We want to test drive the Stelvio before making a final decision, but there is a hold on sales of the Stelvio due to a potential water leak issue, so couldn't do a test drive. Overall I was impressed with my treatment at the dealer. No one seems to know how long the hold will be in place. Will keep you posted...

Ray

·
Registered
316 Posts
The Stelvio drives essentially the same as the Giulia, but being higher there is some trade off in handling. Alfa can't repeal the laws of physics. But the Stelvio is still a very good handling car. Frankly, there is a good part of me that wishes I had gotten a Stelvio - I could use the extra room. The Giulia is a small mid-sized car.

I don't understand why a hold on sales would preclude a test drive though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't understand why a hold on sales would preclude a test drive though.
Understand your point, but I thought they would perform in a similar fashion and didn't want to push the issue since they weren't selling them anyway. I can wait.

Ray

·
Registered
109 Posts
@RAO-3 be careful regarding your decision (if you go with Giulia) as to Lusso or Sport. The seats are extremely different. While I personally love my Sport seats: 1) I don't think they are very comfortable for long trips, and 2) I really wish they had the extra motor for front height adjustment that the Lusso has.

I'm still personally happy with the tradeoff because I like all the other aspects of the Sport more than the Lusso, but frankly I wish I had the Lusso seats when I go on a long drive!

·
Registered
316 Posts
@RAO-3. After you go to Hendrick for your test drive stop by the Johnson Maserati dealer (it's about 100 yards away). Tell Taryn, the GM, that Chuck sent you and you are looking at Alfa Romeos. They are partners with an Alfa dealer in Annapolis Md. and they got me a great deal on my Giulia through them. They even delivered it for free. They are a small boutique Maserati dealership and I'm sure they will be happy to help you.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts