Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Eric at Ideal
2017 Giulia 2.9, 2018
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from us here at Ideal Race.

We are excited to announce that we have joined Giulia forums as an official sponsor! Everyone on our team has a driving passion for cars and the community surrounding them. We hope to help contribute to the discussions here and give feedback. As an aftermarket performance company, we are committed to developing the highest quality tunes and support for Alfa Romeos. We take pride in engineering products that are properly engineered and race-proven.

You can reach us on our facebook, instagram, by email or phone and of course here on the forum, if you have a question please feel free to ask us, we hope to use this thread as a general questions thread so throw your comments and questions below.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Looking at the web site for the Giulia 2.0 I see, engine oil and suspension arms. Is that it?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hello from us here at Ideal Race.

We are excited to announce that we have joined Giulia forums as an official sponsor! Everyone on our team has a driving passion for cars and the community surrounding them. We hope to help contribute to the discussions here and give feedback. As an aftermarket performance company, we are committed to developing the highest quality tunes and support for Alfa Romeos. We take pride in engineering products that are properly engineered and race-proven.

You can reach us on our facebook, instagram, by email or phone and of course here on the forum, if you have a question please feel free to ask us, we hope to use this thread as a general questions thread so throw your comments and questions below.
We 2.0 owners are still waiting on a tune from you guys that differs from the rest.

·
Eric at Ideal
2017 Giulia 2.9, 2018
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at the web site for the Giulia 2.0 I see, engine oil and suspension arms. Is that it?
We 2.0 owners are still waiting on a tune from you guys that differs from the rest.
We purchased a 2.0 and are developing products for it so keep an eye out for some new offerings in the near future. Currently for the 2.0 we offer the rear upper control arms and front camber adjustment kit (I just updated the site to show the latter)

·
Registered
149 Posts
We purchased a 2.0 and are developing products for it so keep an eye out for some new offerings in the near future. Currently for the 2.0 we offer the rear upper control arms and front camber adjustment kit (I just updated the site to show the latter)
not to rush or press you but you guys have been saying you're working on a 2.0 tune since i bought my car in 2021.....

is there a more realistic expectation you can give us other than "stay posted" ?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,271 Posts
Stuff that Giulia really could use:

A kit for water spray brake cooling.
Adjustable height suspension that is compatible with Q4 adaptive suspension.
Race mode for 4 cylinder engines that works properly.
A fix for the hesitation to respond to the accelerator.
Light weight components that retain the civility of the car.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would like to add to the list above, a replacement waste gate actuator arm for the turbo.

• Love
Reactions: Ajax240k and lockem

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
not to rush or press you but you guys have been saying you're working on a 2.0 tune since i bought my car in 2021.....

is there a more realistic expectation you can give us other than "stay posted" ?
Every other tuner has been working on it since 2017 will mediocre results. I think it’s worth waiting to see what someone can do with the multi-air and hybrid turbos. Other wise go jb4 route

·
Eric at Ideal
2017 Giulia 2.9, 2018
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Unfortunately while I can't give any dates I can say having our own 2.0 has definitely sped the process up.

·
Eric at Ideal
2017 Giulia 2.9, 2018
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stuff that Giulia really could use:

A kit for water spray brake cooling.
Adjustable height suspension that is compatible with Q4 adaptive suspension.
Race mode for 4 cylinder engines that works properly.
A fix for the hesitation to respond to the accelerator.
Light weight components that retain the civility of the car.
I would like to add to the list above, a replacement waste gate actuator arm for the turbo.
Thank you guys for the suggestions we definitely take them into consideration. The acceleration hesitation was something I noticed within the first ten minutes of driving the car. We're always looking to lose weight, we found some weight savings just tonight while removing our rear diff. 😄
Shoe Vertebrate Road surface Asphalt Wood

We are going to to build a 3" titanium valved and muffled exhaust with a quarter wave resonator for our car, that should save us a good bit of weight. Let us know if that's something you guys would be interested in.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,271 Posts
Thank you guys for the suggestions we definitely take them into consideration. The acceleration hesitation was something I noticed within the first ten minutes of driving the car. We're always looking to lose weight, we found some weight savings just tonight while removing our rear diff. 😄 View attachment 135289
We are going to to build a 3" titanium valved and muffled exhaust with a quarter wave resonator for our car, that should save us a good bit of weight. Let us know if that's something you guys would be interested in.
Yeah, the QV has been known to accumulate pounds of rocks back there.

I already have an axle back Fiammenghi valved titanium exhaust. It saves 20 pounds or so; I forgot to weigh all of the pieces.
I already have a set of forged wheels. They save about 20 pounds and that is unsprung.
I already have a titanium lug bolt set. They save about 0.25 pounds per wheel, all unsprung.
I already have a QV CF hood. It saves about 5 pounds*, looks better, doesn't rub the wiring, has better aerodynamics and doesn't vibrate.
I already have light weight 2 piece brake rotors. They save about 15 pounds total, all unsprung.
I also have replaced various steel trim screws with 7075 aluminum. They look better, but one has to swap a lot of them for the weight to amount to much. The belly pans screws all combined (about 40 total) yields about 1 pound reduction; the 6 boat anchor weight screws that hold the top back end of the front fascia weigh over a pound. I used some motorcycle screws that don't quite fit perfectly for the former and I haven't done anything about those boat anchors yet.
I ditched the center-rear passenger restraint system**, but that totaled only about 1.5 pounds.

I have not switched to a Lithium starter battery (saves 20-30 pounds). The smart charging system in this car is so highly tuned to a lead-acid battery that it really needs to be reprogrammed to have a robust electrical system with an LFP battery. Aluminum main battery cables might also save some weight, although the heavy one that runs forward to the starter is built into a harness and apparently a major PITA to swap out. Figuring out how to make an LFP starter battery work properly is definitely a place for you to stand out.

I have not gone after the many soft stamped steel brackets found around the car. Nor have I tried to remove useless electronics such as the built in nav system. Nor have I tried to design a push button shifter to replace that heavy and not that nice to use shift lever.

A titanium axle hub would pair well with a brake cooling system, not only saving unsprung weight but also reducing heat transfer to the hub bearings. Alfaholics make Ti axle hubs, but not for Giulia Type 952. The front hubs are a total PITA to remove...

I did check into alternate trunk lining materials, but nothing available seems to save any weight.
I also looked into light weight seats, but you either loose adjustability, comfort and safety, or you spend a lot of money to not improve the weight.

Of course a water based brake cooling system is going to add 30 pounds or so, mostly as water<sigh>,

* By specs, I did not weigh it. I suspect that the aluminum hood is heavier than the spec says because it has that noise dampening material on the underside that probably was not included in the weight.

** I rarely have 2 people in the car, much less 5. In crash tests the 5th occupant is expected to be small and to use the adjacent occupants as part of the restraint system; so I am not going to ever have anyone in that position.

·
Eric at Ideal
2017 Giulia 2.9, 2018
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
replies within
Yeah, the QV has been known to accumulate pounds of rocks back there.

I already have an axle back Fiammenghi valved titanium exhaust. It saves 20 pounds or so; I forgot to weigh all of the pieces.
Looks like a decent system - there are more simplistic ways to do the valving that doesn't require as much tubing (less weight). You could also ditch the valve system and make it utilize only one exhaust tip. A Titanium downpipe would also be a good match - that would save a tremendous amount of weight. Your exhaust also uses the 4 rear exhaust mounts. With a more simplistic/light setup - you would only need 2 of those mounts. More savings
already have a set of forged wheels. They save about 20 pounds and that is unsprung.
What wheels do you have? The factory 19" wheels are around 19 pounds - the Forged 19" Aluminum wheels I've used on our cars weigh within a half pound of the factory wheels. The 18" wheels we have used were CCW C10 road racing wheels in 18x11... they were not lighter. But they would fit a 315 Hoosier.
I already have a titanium lug bolt set. They save about 0.25 pounds per wheel, all unsprung.
I already have a QV CF hood. It saves about 5 pounds*, looks better, doesn't rub the wiring, has better aerodynamics and doesn't vibrate.
I already have light weight 2 piece brake rotors. They save about 15 pounds total, all unsprung.
Depending upon what you're doing - carbon ceramics or even steel wave rotors will shed a lot of weight. We have done mini brakes on a few development cars - they don't stop - but it is light.
I also have replaced various steel trim screws with 7075 aluminum. They look better, but one has to swap a lot of them for the weight to amount to much. The belly pans screws all combined (about 40 total) yields about 1 pound reduction; the 6 boat anchor weight screws that hold the top back end of the front fascia weigh over a pound. I used some motorcycle screws that don't quite fit perfectly for the former and I haven't done anything about those boat anchors yet.
I ditched the center-rear passenger restraint system**, but that totaled only about 1.5 pounds.
Fasteners can yield a lot - but its accumulative and time consuming. Make sure that all the fasteners are 2-3 threads past the end of the nut - anything extra is extra weight. I use Titanium and Aluminum fasteners where I can - and no fasteners where you don't need them. Granted - this was for an IMSA ST Audi S3 - and we were massively overweight.

I have not switched to a Lithium starter battery (saves 20-30 pounds). The smart charging system in this car is so highly tuned to a lead-acid battery that it really needs to be reprogrammed to have a robust electrical system with an LFP battery. Aluminum main battery cables might also save some weight, although the heavy one that runs forward to the starter is built into a harness and apparently a major PITA to swap out. Figuring out how to make an LFP starter battery work properly is definitely a place for you to stand out.
Where does this advanced battery management reside? the BCM or the PCM? I've used 6-7 Lithium batteries in my Evo and several Audi/VW's. The VAG stuff struggles with overvoltage issues - sometimes.... other times they work flawlessly. If you can't have your car burn up - or burn down the building it gets parked in - keep your regular battery or get a smaller Odyssey battery. The Lithium batteries are light - but they are expensive and in my experience usually cause a lot of headache. I would swap batteries when you want to get spicy - and leave the original for daily duty.

I have not gone after the many soft stamped steel brackets found around the car. Nor have I tried to remove useless electronics such as the built in nav system. Nor have I tried to design a push button shifter to replace that heavy and not that nice to use shift lever.
The steel brackets, welded studs, and nuts - easy weight savings and it just takes time.

A titanium axle hub would pair well with a brake cooling system, not only saving unsprung weight but also reducing heat transfer to the hub bearings. Alfaholics make Ti axle hubs, but not for Giulia Type 952. The front hubs are a total PITA to remove...
You'll lose stiffness switching to Titanium hubs. Not exactly the place you want to lose stiffness if you like turning. Look up specific stiffness - what you'll learn is that in order to have the same amount of stiffness - you'll need the same amount of mass to generate that stiffness while switching materials. (Al, Ti, SS, 4130)

I did check into alternate trunk lining materials, but nothing available seems to save any weight.
Remove your trunk springs & remove the brackets that mount the spring. Your trunk won't pop like it did before - but you'll have less weight :)

I also looked into light weight seats, but you either loose adjustability, comfort and safety, or you spend a lot of money to not improve the weight.
There is a tremendous amount of weight here... and it just costs money. I can tell you that on the McLarens I've worked on the seats are minimalist at best - but they're incredible light. Your front factory seats are probably north of 125 pounds. Tillet (sp?) makes some carbon seats that can shed a lot of weight.

Of course a water based brake cooling system is going to add 30 pounds or so, mostly as water<sigh>,
The weight reduction people usually are drag people - not road racers. Most people who want better braking performance will use a high quality vented rotor, Motul RBF660+, metallic track pads, and a simple brake duct. A water system adds the complexity of a methanol injection system along with the weight - and water weight. Remove your windshield washer reservoir, pump, and plumbing. You should be washing your car anyways :)

* By specs, I did not weigh it. I suspect that the aluminum hood is heavier than the spec says because it has that noise dampening material on the underside that probably was not included in the weight.

** I rarely have 2 people in the car, much less 5. In crash tests the 5th occupant is expected to be small and to use the adjacent occupants as part of the restraint system; so I am not going to ever have anyone in that position.

Invest in a good scale. We have a very small scale, a shipping scale, and then car scale pads for doing corner balance work. My QV was 3,600pounds when it came off the track at TX2K - I haven't gone after that car for weight - but the Titanium exhaust I made for it certainly shed a lot of weight. There aren't a lot of things you can pull you wallet out to shed a lot of weight - except for the battery and the seats. And the more money you spend the more weight you save. Keep an eye out - we'll post some weights of cars we've worked on and what some things weigh. Weight is the one thing that will improve your vehicle's acceleration in every direction.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts