Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey one and all. I'm planning on getting a Giulia Ti Lusso in the next few weeks. I've been lurking and reading the forum for the past week, and I've enjoyed everything I've read so far. Seems like a decent membership without all the trash talk you see in so many forums now days.

Looking forward to becoming an owner soon!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Not yet, that's next on my to-do list. However, I'm already sold just on looks and what I've been reading and watching on reviews by others.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
ooo that's the best part, there's no backing out after that...more of "do I throw money at you or place it nicely?" :) You thinking to order or pick off your dealer?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I've gone so far as to track down the exact car I want that's in another state. I'm going to print out the window sticker, and take it with me to my local dealer and see if they'll work with me on getting it. Based on what I've read here, it sounds like ordering takes forever. I'm okay with getting a 2017 as it doesn't appear there are any big differences coming for 2018 other than Carplay, which should just be a software update. The dealer here locally is making good deals on 17's, so I think now should be a good time to buy.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Welcome. I would agree with your observations. This forum is nearly always positive- even when we are frustrated. Very low on the wanker scale. :grin2: I am still waiting on an ordered car, but check in often just cuz.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi Eagle 7 and welcome from Worshington State,
20 miles from the Space Noodle.
I've spent many fun times in Idy Ho.
Schweitzer, Jackass Ski Bowl, Kellogg (now Silver Mt),
Core d' Lane, BoysZee, MossCow, Lewis-Ton and Orofeeno.
Lakes Priest, Pondurray, Silver and Haydun.
Idaho is a beautiful state!

:D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hiya Eagle 7... which part of Idaho? I'm originally from Rexburg, but am not Mormon, ironically. Which dealership are you going through? Stay AWAY from Dave Smith. They have been a nightmare.

I have a Lusso light leather and wood. LOVE it!

Welcome!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hiya Eagle 7... which part of Idaho? I'm originally from Rexburg, but am not Mormon, ironically. Which dealership are you going through? Stay AWAY from Dave Smith. They have been a nightmare.

I have a Lusso light leather and wood. LOVE it!

Welcome!
Hello! I'm near Boise. I'm going to go to Dennis Dillon Alfa Romeo in Boise, to actually see one and do a test drive. The Lusso Crema light wood interior is the one I want. They have one in Monte Carlo Blue, which isn't the color I want, but at least I can see the interior.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I went to the local dealer today and did a test drive. Oh my... First of all, pictures do not do this car justice. It's far more beautiful in person than any picture I've seen. It's also bigger than I thought it would be for some reason. The car I test drove had the Crema Interior with light wood, which was just gorgeous. And the smell... oh mama mia. The interior was more roomy than I expected, especially the headroom. Plenty of leg room. I really liked the dash layout.

As for the test drive, the steering is very precise, and the handling is extremely confidence inspiring. I used to have a 1972 Lotus Europa Twincam, which is the closest experience I can compare the driving to as far as balance and the way it feels when cornering, although the Giulia is a much more complete and sophisticated product. I was surprised at just how much difference I could feel switching from N to D with the DNA knob. N mode feels like a sedan, while D mode makes it feel more like a sports car. The differences were more than just transmission shift points too; I could feel it in the chassis and the way it responded. The salesman allowed us to take it out to an area with some curves, and I was impressed at how unruffled the Giulia is when cornering. It just goes where you point it, without any hint of a protest. It's also deceptively fast. My other half was in the passenger seat, and the salesman was in the back seat, and we were all talking about things as I was driving. I don't think either of them noticed I was going around curves with speed signs for 35-40 mph, and I was doing 55-60. No lean, no drama, no tire squeal. The acceleration was solid but not obnoxious. The power is there if and when you need it, but otherwise the acceleration is smooth and very usable in stop and go driving. I was impressed at how quiet the car is inside. We went over several different types of road surfaces, from new asphalt, old asphalt to concrete, and at no point was the sound level inside the car annoying. This will be a good road trip car.

In summary, based on all I had read and all the videos I had watched, I was expecting a lot, and the Giulia surpassed my expectations. I don't think it's possible to accurately describe the way this car looks and feels. It's better than pictures or words can convey. I'm in. I gave the salesman the info for what I wanted, including the exact car and where it was located, and he said he's going to get back to me. They're really marking down the prices right now, so if the car I want hasn't been sold already, hopefully I'll be getting it in the next week or so, however long it takes to get it here (it's in another state).

My other half was so impressed, she's now talking about getting a Stelvio. They had a couple of them there and she started looking at them, so we might wind up with one of those too.

Just as a side note, I wanted to see a red one, and the only ones they had were in the service area (they'd just come in), so the salesman took us over there to see one. The car was dirty with the hood up, and the technician was going over everything, so we talked to the tech. I said it was a shame it was dirty (it had rainy dirt all over it), because I really wanted to see the color. The tech promptly broke the "do not open" tape on the doors, and opened it so I could see the inside and the door jambs, which were clean. It was Russo Red. I mentioned that it reminded me a lot of the old Ferrari red, and he said the Russo is actually original Ferrari Red, and that the metallic tri-coat Competiccion is really Maserati Red. I don't know if that's true or not, although I have no reason to believe it isn't. At any rate, I'm getting Russo Red with the Crema light wood interior. Now I just have to be patient... sigh.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello! I'm near Boise. I'm going to go to Dennis Dillon Alfa Romeo in Boise, to actually see one and do a test drive. The Lusso Crema light wood interior is the one I want. They have one in Monte Carlo Blue, which isn't the color I want, but at least I can see the interior.
Glad to hear it went so well!!! I agree on the light Lusso, gorgeous. (I have the blue, which I love but realize it's not everyone's cup of tea)

It also sounds like your dealership knows their stuff. That is a major plus!

Cheers to you and your new car!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I did it. I wasn't able to get the red one; the dealer where it was located was very uncooperative to the point, where I wasn't even interested in flying down there to buy it and drive it back. The dealer I was working with in Boise, Dennis Dillon was really nice to work with. My salesman, Tom Cotner was terrific. I was so impressed with the way they were trying to find a car for me, that I decided to go with a Monte Carlo Blue one they had that had everything the red one had, except it was blue. I've always loved blue, and had many blue cars so I was perfectly okay with that. It's a Ti AWD Lusso with the light wood interior, and just about everything you can get on it. I bought it last night and had to work today, so I haven't had much time in it. I'm glad I read through this forum first though, because I noticed when I was driving home that the steering seemed a bit twitchy, and I remembered reading about checking tire pressures. When I got home and checked it, sure enough all 4 tires were at 49 lbs of pressure. I lowered them to 36 per wheel and that smoothed out the issue.

This car has such a precise and refined ride. There's an enthusiasm you can feel when you're in it, that is reflected in everything. The minimalist interior that looks more like a sculpture than just a dashboard. The steering wheel looks and feels perfect. The car is fun to be in, and fun to drive. The lighting is clean and beautiful. There are a lot of little things that I didn't notice when I was looking at the car at the dealership, but once it was in my garage, I looked it over carefully. This car has presence; it's clearly the product of a team who has sculpting talent, and loves beautiful cars. I even like the small lights that are inside the outside door handles. Monte Carlo blue is darker in person, than it looks in the pictures I saw on the internet. It's a very rich color.

I now have to read through the Owner's Manual and learn all the things the car can do, what all the symbols mean on the dash, and how to control/adjust them. Even though I've only had the car less than 24 hours, so far it's better than I had imagined it would be. :)

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Congrats dude that's excellent, similar to my experience... I had the dealer shouting "don't lift!" on the twisties which I would have complied to if I'd have known the corners lol

Rosso is sexy as **** (so I hear) you'll love it!

Next thing to book is a track day to break it in lol

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thrilled for you! I've had the car three months and I still catch myself staring at her as I walk away....

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Well, I went to the local dealer today and did a test drive. Oh my... First of all, pictures do not do this car justice. It's far more beautiful in person than any picture I've seen. It's also bigger than I thought it would be for some reason. The car I test drove had the Crema Interior with light wood, which was just gorgeous. And the smell... oh mama mia. The interior was more roomy than I expected, especially the headroom. Plenty of leg room. I really liked the dash layout.

As for the test drive, the steering is very precise, and the handling is extremely confidence inspiring. I used to have a 1972 Lotus Europa Twincam, which is the closest experience I can compare the driving to as far as balance and the way it feels when cornering, although the Giulia is a much more complete and sophisticated product. I was surprised at just how much difference I could feel switching from N to D with the DNA knob. N mode feels like a sedan, while D mode makes it feel more like a sports car. The differences were more than just transmission shift points too; I could feel it in the chassis and the way it responded. The salesman allowed us to take it out to an area with some curves, and I was impressed at how unruffled the Giulia is when cornering. It just goes where you point it, without any hint of a protest. It's also deceptively fast. My other half was in the passenger seat, and the salesman was in the back seat, and we were all talking about things as I was driving. I don't think either of them noticed I was going around curves with speed signs for 35-40 mph, and I was doing 55-60. No lean, no drama, no tire squeal. The acceleration was solid but not obnoxious. The power is there if and when you need it, but otherwise the acceleration is smooth and very usable in stop and go driving. I was impressed at how quiet the car is inside. We went over several different types of road surfaces, from new asphalt, old asphalt to concrete, and at no point was the sound level inside the car annoying. This will be a good road trip car.

In summary, based on all I had read and all the videos I had watched, I was expecting a lot, and the Giulia surpassed my expectations. I don't think it's possible to accurately describe the way this car looks and feels. It's better than pictures or words can convey. I'm in. I gave the salesman the info for what I wanted, including the exact car and where it was located, and he said he's going to get back to me. They're really marking down the prices right now, so if the car I want hasn't been sold already, hopefully I'll be getting it in the next week or so, however long it takes to get it here (it's in another state).

My other half was so impressed, she's now talking about getting a Stelvio. They had a couple of them there and she started looking at them, so we might wind up with one of those too.

Just as a side note, I wanted to see a red one, and the only ones they had were in the service area (they'd just come in), so the salesman took us over there to see one. The car was dirty with the hood up, and the technician was going over everything, so we talked to the tech. I said it was a shame it was dirty (it had rainy dirt all over it), because I really wanted to see the color. The tech promptly broke the "do not open" tape on the doors, and opened it so I could see the inside and the door jambs, which were clean. It was Russo Red. I mentioned that it reminded me a lot of the old Ferrari red, and he said the Russo is actually original Ferrari Red, and that the metallic tri-coat Competiccion is really Maserati Red. I don't know if that's true or not, although I have no reason to believe it isn't. At any rate, I'm getting Russo Red with the Crema light wood interior. Now I just have to be patient... sigh.
Welcome :)
Congrats :grin2:

Your Ti is almost like our Ti, blue with cream lusso and wood. Except ours is RWD. We would have gone with the red, except we already have two red Italian cars and thought a third red Italian would have been a bit much. Such a great driver's car and such a nice blue paint. I just love the essence of pearl and how the blue changes color depending on the light and viewing angle.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome :)
Congrats :grin2:

Your Ti is almost like our Ti, blue with cream lusso and wood. Except ours is RWD. We would have gone with the red, except we already have two red Italian cars and thought a third red Italian would have been a bit much. Such a great driver's car and such a nice blue paint. I just love the essence of pearl and how the blue changes color depending on the light and viewing angle.
Thank you! You're right about the Monte Carlo Blue. It's character changes dramatically depending on the lighting. We've had overcast and rain the last several days, and the car appears as a deep, rich royal blue. The sun came out yesterday, and where it reflects off the car, it's like a world of magical shades of sparkling blue appear. This paint really has depth. It has much more flake in it than I realized. It doesn't look like enamel, it looks like a custom lacquer paint job. Lovin' it so far!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts