Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached are photos of my beautiful new baby. Waited to get it until outfitted for snow patrol with road hugging Blizzaks. Wouldn't leave home without them.
I have to tell all on the forum who haven't gotten a chance to drive one these: it's a dream.
I've never driven in a car so smooth, sophisticated - and in grey - kind of stealthy. It just goes where you want it to go and as fast as you want to go effortlessly.
Couldn't wait to commute this AM.

Had a wonderful experience with my dealer - Richard Fisher at Autobarn in Evanston. The first Quadrifoglio (by the way, why do you abbreviate that "QV"?) he got in was Rosso Competezione. That red has almost a purple hew to it. A beautiful car. I met him at the dealership for a test drive. As he and a vendor of his, Jason, who is a wagon customizer and restorer, walked up to the car, they just drooled over it. From the fiber carbon splitter, hood, roof, door jams, to the wheels and calipers to opening up the hood to see that beautiful V-6- they were literally in awe. Now, me, I am not a car aficionado - but I will say that I have been waiting for this car since a year ago last Thanksgiving - going into the dealership every month or two to see when (and if) it was ever coming. (But that's another story) - so I didn't know if was just me that felt I was looking at something exceptional - but I have real respect for these guys - and they were clearly impressed.

So, we're standing around looking and Richard says to me: "Well, you know I haven't even driven one yet. I saw the car at the LA Show and they let us sit in them, but no opportunity to drive". My response: "Well, you better get in and do the honors..." And so we were off! And as excited as we were looking at the car - that excitement turned to glee as we drove it. The car just simply does what you ask it do with no complaints. Cruise down the two lane? No problem. No loud, braggy exhaust note. No, just sort of a normal throat like just another day at the office. Get out on the highway? When you press down on the accelerator - it just picks up and moves. There are no complaints from the engine - just a little brrruppp from the exhaust and you are hauling ass. [The other day I hit 110 on the expressway with my Vesuvio thinking I was at about 80...]

I had originally thought that I might just go with the Giulia TI - but after that ride - there was no turning back. So Richard said - think about it and let me know by tomorrow at 10AM, and if you want it it's yours. I slept on it but by the morning I took a pass. The red was simply gorgeous, but I'd always had my eye on Vesuvio Grey. If I were 20 years younger (as I was when I drove a red 164S) I would have taken the Rosso. But as a venerated senior citizen (I hate F-ing having to admit that), I just didn't want to shout that loud to everyone around me. And -- because red is just too tempting for the troopers. My wife told me that if I got two tickets, she was going to make me sell it before I got a third! And we all know that it is indeed true that red cars attract more tickets. I'd rather be under the radar (literally and figuratively)

So, Richard scoured the country to find me a grey. And, I can only say that he went beyond the call of duty to make sure that he was able to get it for me. I have nothing but great things to say about him and his staff. As far as we could tell there were only two Vesuvios within a thousand miles - one in Silver Springs MD and one in Iowa (although I see that there is at least a third one by looking at those snowy NY photos posted earlier today). I'm not sure how Richard did it, but by the end of the week he had arranged to get the Iowa car delivered.

There were a couple of issues with - which I didn't squabble with but which I am working on.

1) Brakes. This car came with the Ultra High Performance Brembos. It's actually quite funny to think that 7% of the cost of this car is brakes... And they are much more expensive than the $5,500 on the sticker. Why? Because now I've got to go out and rent track time in order to really get use out of those brakes!
2) Wheels. Sorry, I am not a fan of the dark wheels. Seems like all that they have brought in are the dark 5 hole. I am working to see if they will swap back out for the like Technicos
3) Calipers. Red. (It appears that all of the cars are so far also have red calipers) Nice. With Vesuvio Grey. Yellow, even nicer. Working on that.

So, the car was in town ten days ago - but it wasn't yet ready to go for the Snow Patrol. Welcome the Blizzaks! Which arrived Thursday. (BTW - you can't just go on line to Tire Rack for wheels and tires. I was told those brakes take up a bit of space and the wheel holes are in kind of a rare alignment) And we are now on a roll.

Looking forward to learning and exchanging ideas on the forum,

Mark Zivin, AR1
(and those of you who know soccer might get some reference from that handle - we can discuss later)

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
absolutely stunning and congrats! Those brakes are massive! Have you ever spent time up at Road America? The long straights are perfect for those brakes :) All of the other local tracks are too short unless they are running the full course at Autobahn CC. Hope to see you on the roads, I live in lincoln square and my in-laws are in Kenilworth

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never spent time on Road America. Thanks for the tip. Hoping to get to Joliet in the spring.
I'll be looking for you!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congrats to you sir! Looks beautiful, stealthy, and menacing at the same time. The way I like it! (I've been debating between Nero and Vesuvio myself)

As a side, the QV name came from "Quadrifoglio Verde" - the performance badge which has its own back story but somehow got simplified to just "Quadrifoglio" for the Giulia. I forgot where I read it from, but apparently the change was driven by marketing, presumably for easier pronunciation... Go figure! :p First it was Motor Trend, now even Jeremy Clarkson is making fun of how difficult it is to pronounce the word.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Welcome and congrats.....great color choice ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
the Rosso Competizione one you mentioned in your post belongs to me, lol. If you want, i'll swap brakes with you if you don't want those carbon ceramics, hehe. I saw your car at the dealership as well earlier that Saturday morning.

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to ask you if that might be the car - but then I saw you were in Lake in the Hills and figured there must be another AR dealer in the NW suburbs. It's a long ride to Evanston!

Great color - if I were your age, I would have have gone for that red for sure. (I had a red 164S back in the 90's).

Anyhow, sorry I can't swap the brakes - so I'll just have to put them to good use on the track.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well there is a dealership that's much closer to me, in schaumburg, but they didn't get a single Giulia there at all. They always had issues when I brought my 4C in for a wash, always a problem with everything just simply not up to any dealer standards out there. I rather drive to Evanston that's hour and 10 minute drive then 25 minutes to deal with schaumburg.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it. Richard and Jason Sarni have gone beyond call of duty for me.
Hope you are enjoying your car as much as I am mine.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome :)
Congrats on the new Quad :grin2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts