Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Just bought my wife a 2019 Giulia Q4 to replace her BMW X1. Car is a lot of fun to drive and she is looking into doing some upgrades. She wants to get better tires. Not sure which wheels we have. It is a base model with 19". She doesn't like the stretched look on them. Was thinking getting some 245/35-19s but if the wheels are 8" wide, 225 shouldn't look that stretched on them. If they are wider would rather get some 255/35-19 on them since it is about as tall as what is on there now. Anyways been reading for the past 2 days about tunes and all kinds of stuff. We narrow it down that we want to start with tints, tires, Eibach Q4 springs and spacers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Not all 225s are created equal, they vary brand to brand. The Pirelli 225 seems 'narrower' comparatively speaking. I personally would only go to 235 at most ... I like PS4S for what it's worth

I know tires are a hot button issue on Alfa forums, so before you (other members) froth at the mouth and tear my head off, just let me know if I am wrong

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not all 225s are created equal, they vary brand to brand. The Pirelli 225 seems 'narrower' comparatively speaking. I personally would only go to 235 at most ... I like PS4S for what it's worth

I know tires are a hot button issue on Alfa forums, so before you froth at the mouth and tear my head off, just let me know if I am wrong
No issue. I have PS4S on my car and they are nice tires but I would like some all season as this is my wife's car, so looking for something with a higher thread wear rating. I'm a fan of Continental DWS 06. Had them on my old S4 and they are great for a daily grocery getter. I know those also run on the narrow side of the measurements, so I can run 245 on Giulia.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
I have Michelen PS A/S 3+ on my car for summer use and am pretty happy with them. You can get them ZP (run flat) or not. In my case I bought a set of Tecnico 19x8.5 wheels and mounted 245 35R19 non-ZP tires on them. Note that Michelen tires run wide and Pirelli run narrow, so the change in tread width is much more than the width numbers indicate.

For snowy winter use I have Nokian R3 tires in 245 40R19 mounted on the OEM 5 hole wheels. This raises the car up a little, providing much needed winter ground clearance. The oversize tires take up the space that is reserved for chains, leaving no room to put them on. The handling is noticeably impaired with this setup but it has gotten me through some pretty severe winter conditions.

Stretched tires handle better. Wider tires get a little bit more traction and wear better. Wider tires also look better and provide a little bit of protection for the wheel rim.
Lighter weight wheels and tires also handle better, which is why I selected the non-ZP tires (saves 2-3 pounds/corner) and Tecnico wheels (saves 2-3 pounds/corner) as well as installing light weight Ceika brake rotors (saves 5-7 pounds/corner) and titanium lug bolts (saves 0.2 pounds/corner).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome
Great looking car!

this is what it will look like with 20% tint

View attachment 96695
Too dark for my taste. I have 3M Ceramic at 45% on my car and I really like it. My other car is also black with white interior so the 45% makes it look lighter than it is so it doesn't blend the entire car into one color. With the Giulia I want to go a bit lighter on the tint since it has darker interior.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have Michelen PS A/S 3+ on my car for summer use and am pretty happy with them. You can get them ZP (run flat) or not. In my case I bought a set of Tecnico 19x8.5 wheels and mounted 245 35R19 non-ZP tires on them. Note that Michelen tires run wide and Pirelli run narrow, so the change in tread width is much more than the width numbers indicate.

For snowy winter use I have Nokian R3 tires in 245 40R19 mounted on the OEM 5 hole wheels. This raises the car up a little, providing much needed winter ground clearance. The oversize tires take up the space that is reserved for chains, leaving no room to put them on. The handling is noticeably impaired with this setup but it has gotten me through some pretty severe winter conditions.

Stretched tires handle better. Wider tires get a little bit more traction and wear better. Wider tires also look better and provide a little bit of protection for the wheel rim.
Lighter weight wheels and tires also handle better, which is why I selected the non-ZP tires (saves 2-3 pounds/corner) and Tecnico wheels (saves 2-3 pounds/corner) as well as installing light weight Ceika brake rotors (saves 5-7 pounds/corner) and titanium lug bolts (saves 0.2 pounds/corner).
Hmmm. Tecnicos would look nice. Best place to find them? I'm lucky to be in South Texas, so no need to get winter tires.

Is there a thread that has like a tuning guide and a guide for the Multiecuscan tool for new guys like me? Did find that I could add paddle shifters and 8.8" screen, so definitely looking into that.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think Alfissimo still has the best deal on legitimate Technios. You can find knockoffs on ebay for a lot less, but I don't think anyone on this forum would recommend it.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,530 Posts
Stretched tires do handle better and more athletically, so they look better for those reasons, too!

Chubby tires are lame, except where vintage appropriate.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Quadrifoglio
53 Posts
When you go to a wider tire, be aware it will mess with your speedo calibration. This is because the aspect ratio is different and the circumference will change as a result. Weird, but that's the way tires work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stretched tires reminds me of stance nation.

Yes I took that into consideration. One of the reason I want to go 255/45-19 is because it is .1” shorter than the 225s

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,530 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
I’ve been pining for new tires to put my RFTs aside for lease return. I have the base 18 x 8 turbines which hold 225/45-18. I’ve been told I can easily go with 245/40, so a bit wider. My brother thinks it’ll open a whole lot of nonsense. Any thoughts and what’s the difference between wider and stretched?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve been pining for new tires to put my RFTs aside for lease return. I have the base 18 x 8 turbines which hold 225/45-18. I’ve been told I can easily go with 245/40, so a bit wider. My brother thinks it’ll open a whole lot of nonsense. Any thoughts and what’s the difference between wider and stretched?
Is mostly looks. Depending on the tire brand 245 might look bulged. I don’t like the 225 on mine because it makes look like smaller profile than they already are and make the wheel well gap look bigger.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts