Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,723 Posts
Using a tape measure I come up with 1" higher in front and 1/2" higher in back. I believe the overall height is measured towards the back of the roof, so the overall height difference looks more like the rear suspension difference.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,439 Posts
What about ground clearance?

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
What about ground clearance?
That is what I measured, assuming that the bottom pan is dead flat (it *looks* dead flat) and that the suspension was "settled" on the cars that I measured

RWD: 5" in front, 6.5" in rear
Q4: 6" in front, 7" in rear

When a car comes straight from shipping it may be sitting a bit crooked and/or high due to the suspension locking blocks that are installed for shipping. A short drive, preferably over some speed bumps should correct the issue.

Q4 may need to sit higher than RWD in order to have sufficient clearance of the front half shafts to the suspension. It appears that the front coil overs straddle the half shafts.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Well, thanks lockem, nothing like real world measurement vs the internet!
You are welcome. Some other notes:

QV ground clearance according to AR: 4" (100mm), apparently with the splitter in the "up" position. At this height you need to be careful around speed bumps and driveway entrances.

Angle of approach values are given in the owners manual under towing instructions. This is important as Giulia is supposed to only be towed on a flat bed, yet flat beds often have a steep angle of approach. Q4 yields significantly larger angles.

Typical stock ground clearance of a vehicle intended for on or off road use: 8.5".
Typical stock ground clearance of a vehicle intended for on-road use in snowy conditions: 6"
Highest setting on the variable height suspension Tesla S: about 6.5".

There used to be a minimum legal ground clearance of the tire sidewall height (I don't know if that was measured or width X profile, the later always being larger). I don't know if this has been rescinded with the advent of RFTs. With the 19" wheels Giulia QV sidewall height is 86mm, leaving QV with little room for lowering under the old rule. QV does not come with RFTs.

And of course: lower is better for handling while higher is better for not hitting things (ask Simey...) or getting high centered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts