Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Alfisti,

My left headlight is pointing about 20 degrees upwards, versus my right headlight. Noticed with high-beams on, and confirmed afterwards.

Anybody have similar issue? Can I DIY an adjustment? How, if so?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,157 Posts
In most cars the adjusters allow only a couple of degrees of movement. 20 degrees out sounds like a warranty repair to me.

Have you tried pulling up close to a wall and looking at the spots your lights make. If you are 10 feet back from the wall a 20 degree error would put one spot 3.4 feet higher than the other. Another thing with the wall check is to see if the spots are similar in size and shape. If they are not it most likely indicates that one lamp is out of focus or has water inside the housing. Still, something to have fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
150 Posts
To adjust, you need a long 6mm ball end driver (like this is perfect: http://amzn.to/2qeKA0E ). You can adjust each side up/down and left/right. Don't try and use a screwdriver or regular hex driver, you'll just damage the head of the soft plastic screws.

My headlights were way out from factory, much too high and pointing in the wrong direction.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Almost sounds as if the mechanism is stuck in the high beam mode. Or, does it go even higher when the high beam is activated?

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in truth it's more like 10°, and the wall check of that.

The problem is more noticeable with highbeams on. Low and high beams appear to operate correctly, and without water.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,157 Posts
in truth it's more like 10°, and the wall check of that.

The problem is more noticeable with highbeams on. Low and high beams appear to operate correctly, and without water.
Do you have the HID lights (a.k.a. bi-Xenon in Euro-speak)? The "bi" in bi-Xenon means that a single lamp per side is used for both low and high beams, with a mechanical shutter being imposed to make the difference.

I don't know about Giulia, but on my vehicles the range of adjustment is only a few degrees. The difference between high and low beam is only about 0.3 degree for headlights that are 2 feet from the pavement. A 10 degree error still indicates that something is broken or mounted incorrectly and that a warranty repair is your best bet.

Some comments about headlights in general (I spend a lot of time driving at night on dark roads):

Good headlights have a "top cutoff" in the pattern so that very little light is sent above horizontal. This is very important when driving while snow is falling or when it is foggy. IIHS's new headlight performance test does not check this.

Good headlights send a non-trivial amount of light to the sides of the road, particularly in the distance. This is necessary to see road-side hazards that can suddenly move onto the road like pedestrians and animals. It also is necessary to illuminate the path when navigating a turn. A lot of after market headlight manufacturers are keen to make the beam narrow so that the spot looks brighter, giving a false sense that the headlights are good.

Good headlights DO NOT create a bright spot directly in front of the vehicle. Such a bright spot gives a false impression that the headlights are bright, but actually create glare that blinds the driver from being able to see what is in the distance. IIHS's new headlight performance test does not check this. I see a lot of vehicles on the road with this problem.

With really good headlights the left and right lamps independently light up the whole target area. This is more important for the driver's side lamp than the passenger side lamp. This is important when taking small radius turns with an obstruction on the inside of the turn in order to have the best illumination of the inside part of the turn. It also helps make the car drivable if one headlight is not functioning.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Adjustment of headlights - Alfa Romeo Giulia

To adjust, you need a long 6mm ball end driver (like this is perfect: http://amzn.to/2qeKA0E ). You can adjust each side up/down and left/right. Don't try and use a screwdriver or regular hex driver, you'll just damage the head of the soft plastic screws.

My headlights were way out from factory, much too high and pointing in the wrong direction.
I am from South Africa and the left headlight in my Giulia is also way too high. The left-right adjustment is easy to see, and is a Philips screw. The other one is, of course, way down. I could eventually see that it is a Allen-head screw - thnx for indicating that it is 6mm! Tomorrow I will be looking for a ball-head hex driver.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same problem here, my left headlight is pointing way too high and barely lights up the road.

Where exactly is the screw in question? Can someone post a picture?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Late to the party, but the early version headlight adjusters are all breaking and being replaced with a second generation version. In fact, dealers now generally are stocking replacement headlight units...ask how I know this.

Reactions: Richo8657

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
So, visited Alfa Romeo of Fort Worth today, they had the unit in stock (confirmed beforehand), and got my drivers side unit replaced. It was shooting about 10-15 degrees high, and it turned out the projector unit itself had come to pieces, not just the more usual adjustor failure.

In and out in less than an hour...the downside was my bumper cover’s final tab on the passenger side broke on removal. I wasn’t surprised, and the tech did his best. Now, for repairing, they are also using the 3M 1/4” tape to stick it back down, but they also use a 3M adhesive promoter to clean the area and say it works much better. Seems to be a bit pricy but available on Amazon in single use packages.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Alfisti,

My left headlight is pointing about 20 degrees upwards, versus my right headlight. Noticed with high-beams on, and confirmed afterwards.

Anybody have similar issue? Can I DIY an adjustment? How, if so?
Same problem. Only realised when I searched this forum. Seems to be a disconnected ball joint attachment within the light assembly. One contributer popped it back in. I had a look and Space is not great. Will try next week. Let me know if you succeed and any tips!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts